PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Super Bowl loss isn't as bad as everyone thinks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just somehow came across the second to last final Patriots drive of the game, followed by the Bru/Seau hug.

If you can honestly watch that entire thing without getting a sick stomach, good bless ya.

Last night here in Jacksonville, I went to a minor league hockey game, while waiting in line for beer, the person in front of me made a comment to the person behind me as they were wearing a Pats shirt, he was a pats fan, and here in Florida, there we were, 3 pats fans in a row, and we just talked and reminsed about the super bowl wins... WE chatted about the loss for the first minute, but instantly talked about the awesomeness of the other championships!

That's whats awesome, in 20 years, we will always have the 3 wins to talk about, what you did, where you were, how you watched it, the stories... ect...

If your still upset about the loss, think about the sweetness that was the 3 champiosnhips. Especially having the chance to GO to the first win was awesome and will always trump a loss in the SB.

thanks for putting a positive spin on this SB loss....and I mean that in all sincerity...and I am glad that this works for you.....

For me, this years loss in the SB will never go away.......it is burning inside my gut right now like an ulcer.....and it will not go away......Now, am I proud of the Patriots being the first team in the history of the NFL to go 16-0 in the regular season and become the NEW owners of the perfect Season? Yes, I certainly am.........Am I happy that they were the first team to go 18-0? and will it be a long time before any other team beats this feat....? YES!!! Does the loss of the SB (especially with gomer in the grasp and then the helmet catch, and then the TD in the last 35 seconds of play) burn in my stomach like my aunt's homemade meatloaf????? YES IT DOES!! and it will forever......and ever.....and ever.......To get that close to making HISTORY.......to be that close to becoming the GREATEST team of all time......To be that close to Tom Brady being the GREATEST QB of all time.......To be that close to Bill Belichick being called the GREATEST COACH of all time...To be that close to SHUTTING UP THE GERIATRIC DOOFINS AND THEIR ANCIENT BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE...(this one hurts the worst I think)...and so on and so on.....and to witness it slip away with one sloppy defensive play after another(I know not to mention the weak play of the offensive line and the weak minded work of our OC)...............Was, and will FOREVER be,... PAINFUL!!!! We have to remember that so many teams that won SB's have not been back for 30-40 years.......Matt Light should have been thinking of that while he was chuckling about Mankins or Kaczurs beard being shaved off........This may be the last one we see in our lifetime...........They BLEW a tremendous opportunity....THIS year and LAST (colts implosion)........Anyways, lets hope that we get back to the SB again sometime soon and win one.......but lets not kid ourselves.......these opportunities are RARE and there is alot of LUCK and unpredictable play in playoff games.......So we have to be realistic that our team may not get back to the big dance for a long time.........Not dropping the sky on you here......just being realistic.............

Not only that...but while we didn't come out with a win in the end, we did set records that will be the focus of every team for years to come. In a few years, people may not remember who won this Super Bowl...but if you ask them which team went 16-0 in the regular season...or which QB threw 50 TDs...or which receiver caught 23 etc....

...I'm pretty sure they'll know.

:woohoo:

You know what.....but this is sad....but they probably won't......Most people don't care about anything other than WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS.....and now, I agree with that....

In week 17, after the Pats beat the Gints, Golic (who I can't stand hardly) was talking with ****A, and said that if the Pats went 18-1, and lost the SB...the season would mean NOTHING.....and I thought F**K them!!!......The Pats are the first team to go 16-0 in regular season.........and if the go 18-0 that would set a new record for consecutive wins in a season.....ECLIPSING the DOOFIN record of 17 wins......and they did that......BUT I never thought that I would look at the 18-1 season as a failure.....or be unhappy.....and I WAS WRONG.......The way that the game slipped away, and our failure to adjust in the SB game.....made much of this season negative.......I remember watching week to week thinking.....if they can just get to 16-0 regular season.....that would be historical.....ANd the Pats did that.....then I thought.....if they get to 18-0......that would set a new record.....and it did......Now all we have to do is win the SB.....and the Patriots are LEGENDARY.......and they didn't close the deal......sheesh....still brings tears to my eyes.....

I'll give you credit for your optimism. Yet, the Pat's SB 42 loss will go down in infamy. It ranks up there with "New Coke" as an epic failure.

You are going to be reminded of it every week of next year's season. Until every team loses their 1st game you'll here things like, "better to lose now then lose in the SB like the Pats".

We have made Tom Coughlin one of the highest paid coaches. Hill-Billy Ely Manning is the Giant's "Joe Namath" because of us. Ely is one step closer to the NFL HOF because of the Pats.

I am a 30 year die hard Pat's fan. The SB 42 loss has the opposite affect on me. It tarnishes the previous win. SBs 36 was just luck. The Rams lost the game because of poor coaching strategy just like the Giants got lucky in SB 42 due to Pat's poor coaching strategy.

In my eyes, Bill Belichick has gone from a great coach to a good coach. 18-0, 14 point favorites, already beat your opponent, have the NFL MVP, highest scoring team in NFL history and you lose with your fewest point total of the year.

Agree with you on everything.....but the 2001 SB win.....Pats won that one .....in the same way as the Gints this year.....They wanted it MORE.....and their coaches OUTCOACHED the opposing coaches.....that is why Tom COUGH-lin got a megamoney contract extension.....where he normally would have been simply FIRED.......He outcoached BB/Assistants.........So give credit where credit was due in 2001....The Pats simply outplayed/outdesired/outcoached the rams in that game...pure and simple..

RabthePat; best post ever; EVER.

Coughlin was a friggin goal line stand vs the Redskins in week three from getting fired. Fired. And he ends up with a mega bucks contract; I remember watching him chew out the Giants kicker after he missed a chip shot field goal to win the Green Bay game prior to overtime and thinking how much of a horses ass he is.

That horses ass is a Super Bowl winner, unreal.

NYPatsfan, I feel your pain brother. I was down in PA this past weekend and saw a toolbag with a Manning shirt and a New York Giants Super Bowl Champions hat on; made me want to puke my brains out, effin disgusting, put me in a **** mood the rest of the day on top of it all..............

If you were to rewind back to Sunday morning, and without me having knowledge of what that actual outcome of the game was going to be - I would have bet over $10,000 on that game.

Good thing I didn't have the money that day.

Ditto.

Also, two more painful things to throw in there:

1) How amazingly good I felt when Moss caught the TD pass to take the lead.

2) I was watching the game w my Dad, who thought Asante had made that pick on the final drive, and when it happened, he leaped up and celebrated for just a moment before realizing it slipped through his fingers.

Ouch. I gotta stop thinking about this MFing game.

As a Yankee fan who cried after watching the Yanks lose 4 straight ALCS games to the hated Red Sox in 2004 (the last 2 on Yankee Stadium holy ground much less), it changed the way I looked at the Yankees forever. Even if the Yanks win back-to-back WS again, I'll be happy, but I'll still remember The Choke. You can't change what has already happened.
The Pats could win a few more SBs with Brady and Moss, but unless they do something like win 3 in a row, they'll be remembered for this loss. Ask a non-football fan 20 years from now about the Pats, and they'll probably say "that team that was undefeated but lost the SB".

Not an argument Bill Russell of the Celtics would have accepted, McGraw.

You never know when you'll have another chance. I'm not crying in my soup, but the fact is the last two Super Bowl's were winnable by our team (obviously talking about beating the Colts and a mediocre Bears team in '06).

We fans arrogantly assume we'll have a chance every year, but the ball takes funny bounces.

Complacency is for losers. We need to evaluate what went wrong and not let it happen again.

Of course, if we get it back and win a SuperBowl or more, the perfect baloney will just be a footnote.

Look how stupid Shula and the other old bastards look.

Every new season's an opportunity and that's all there is. People need to remember how hard it was going from stiffs to perennial contenders.

Let's not live in the past or worry about what idiots say behind your back. It's a new off season and we'll have another top team. Get into the here and now!!

A lot of good points all around in this thread; BradyisaYankeesFan, great points by you. When people look back on this team years from now, will it be "What a great team, three Super Bowls in four years" or "What a bunch of cheaters regarding spygate and they choked away the perfect season".................only time will tell and like you said, even if they win one or two more, this one is always, ALWAYS going to leave a mark..........................

Maybe this will help the Patriots learn that the Lombardi is not their own exclusive trophy and they have to beat their opponents instead of waiting for them to falter. The last 2 years it was do or die drive, and the last 2 years, the Patriots died.

Maybe this will help the Patriots learn that the Lombardi is not their own exclusive trophy and they have to beat their opponents instead of waiting for them to falter. The last 2 years it was do or die drive, and the last 2 years, the Patriots died.

That kinda has been our defensive philosophy now hasn't it been??

"Die" or "wait for them to falter"? Either way we get screwed.

Moreso wiat for them to falter - bend don't break "D". Except it didn't work and we died - two years running now. This may be the most depressing thread I have ever read.

Time to move onto next year, in a hurry.

Moreso wiat for them to falter - bend don't break "D". Except it didn't work and we died - two years running now. This may be the most depressing thread I have ever read.

Time to move onto next year, in a hurry.

One thing I realized after the Super Bowl is that the Belichick-era Patriots are a team that isn't necessarily "clutch" but they will usually have the opportunity to make (or not make) the play that will win a championship. After the first 3 SB's the Pats were considered "clutch" because they always made that play, and now they have a tendency to not make the play. So are they chokers now? Not really. They just are on the other side of the games they used to win.

Is it too much to ask for a 14-point lead in the 4th quarter of the SB next time? :)

thanks for putting a positive spin on this SB loss....and I mean that in all sincerity...and I am glad that this works for you.....

For me, this years loss in the SB will never go away.......it is burning inside my gut right now like an ulcer.....and it will not go away......Now, am I proud of the Patriots being the first team in the history of the NFL to go 16-0 in the regular season and become the NEW owners of the perfect Season? Yes, I certainly am.........Am I happy that they were the first team to go 18-0? and will it be a long time before any other team beats this feat....? YES!!! Does the loss of the SB (especially with gomer in the grasp and then the helmet catch, and then the TD in the last 35 seconds of play) burn in my stomach like my aunt's homemade meatloaf????? YES IT DOES!! and it will forever......and ever.....and ever.......To get that close to making HISTORY.......to be that close to becoming the GREATEST team of all time......To be that close to Tom Brady being the GREATEST QB of all time.......To be that close to Bill Belichick being called the GREATEST COACH of all time...To be that close to SHUTTING UP THE GERIATRIC DOOFINS AND THEIR ANCIENT BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE...(this one hurts the worst I think)...and so on and so on.....and to witness it slip away with one sloppy defensive play after another(I know not to mention the weak play of the offensive line and the weak minded work of our OC)...............Was, and will FOREVER be,... PAINFUL!!!! We have to remember that so many teams that won SB's have not been back for 30-40 years.......Matt Light should have been thinking of that while he was chuckling about Mankins or Kaczurs beard being shaved off........This may be the last one we see in our lifetime...........They BLEW a tremendous opportunity....THIS year and LAST (colts implosion)........Anyways, lets hope that we get back to the SB again sometime soon and win one.......but lets not kid ourselves.......these opportunities are RARE and there is alot of LUCK and unpredictable play in playoff games.......So we have to be realistic that our team may not get back to the big dance for a long time.........Not dropping the sky on you here......just being realistic.............

stc, you nailed it. Best Team Ever - that's what we wanted. Now the 2007 Pats are the Best Team to Lose a SB. That awful taste doesn't go away. Ask Randy Moss. He's now played on the best to not even make a SB (15-1 Vikes) and the best loser.

The 3 SB wins were awesome, amazing, unbelievable, fantastic. This one really hurts and it will hurt until we win another. Let's hope we're less than 12 months away from that.

ummm no you are wrong, it is as bad as everyone thinks.

Wait til next year when a team runs the score up on us - then it will get much worse.

I don't see too many teams capable of "running up the score" on the Patriots. Do you think the Pats have taken a great fall or something? FYI...they haven't.

To your point, I will say the Patriots have lost that "clutch" ability & reputation. In all honesty, the Patriots SHOULD HAVE blown-out at least one of the teams in their 4 super bowls. Actually, they should have convincingly won 2 of them.

They were much, much better than both the Eagles & the Panthers. I've never been able to figure out why they weren't able to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back