PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Steelers Are Real Champs

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsWickedPissah said:
Despite much of the whining here and elsewhere, the Steelers are the 2005 season SuperBowl Champs because...

1. They overcame long odds winning playoff games against 4 good and very good teams.

2. They won the SB despite an abyssmal choke-ridden performance of their 22 rating QB. Roethlesberger siezed this playoff's "Manning Award" from surprise contender Tom Brady, but his team played well enough to win despite his 'contribution'.

3. They won because Cowher, never a great game day coach, coached well, far better than his opponent whose team looked as if they'd never practised a 2 minute drill, q.v. the end of each half.

4. They overcame bad calls by refs (the INT against the Colts) and are not themselves responsible for any of the gift calls by the refs.

As uninspiring as the SB was, that post season run was one for the ages.

And basicaly, they scored more points in the SB.

I will have a hard time with the Rothlesburger Brady comparisons though.

In our 3 SB wins, the Pats won because of Brady (no he was certainly not the only reason, but his contributions were huge, big enough that he was voted MVP in 2 of them).

I would say the Steelers won inspite of Big Ben. Now that certainly does not apply to the playoffs were Big Ben was a beast. But for the SB, I believe it fits!

PatsWickedPissah said:
Thanks for illustrating my point about Pats fans who make the whiners from other teams look good. Attaboy!

I'm not sure what is "whining" about this board? There were VERY questionable calls in the SB and in many games in the Playoffs this year. I think the calls were bad enough to "complain" about but maybe I missed some posts but I didn't see anyone wanting to put a * next to the Sitllers win.

I don't care if other teams fans are "happy" or "congratulate" Pats fans when we win the SB.....so why do I NEED to congratulate Stiller fans on a win by thier team to be "classy"? I didn't even congratulate my friends on the Stillers win....I didn't mention the bad calls either, they are Champs until next year plain and simple. They didn't congratulate me either, in fact because the Pats won so much I got a lot of "wait until next year" smack talk, since I'm sure it was starting to really get to them. Then we talked football and the improvments to the teams and acknowledged strengths and weaknesses of our teams and schedules.

This is a Pats board not a NFL board...a New England Patriots message board. I thought after a poorly officiated game and poorly played game...very boring...the posts here were on target as far as "football" discussion mainly. There was a ref problem this year in the playoffs not just in the SB.

This is a "classless" thread IMO hows that...gees sensitive people.

Uh, who said we need to congratulate the Steelers here?
Who said there were NOT questionable or lucky calls? Quite the contrary.
The Steelers won per the NFL rules, just like the Pats beat OAK in 2002 and won per the rules.
I think rather than classless, your post was clueless. Get a grip.

yeah, because awarding a touchdown when one didn't occur in 2006 is exactly the same thing as correctly applying the Tuck Rule in 2002. I might suggest its you who needs to get a grip.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Despite much of the whining here and elsewhere, the Steelers are the 2005 season SuperBowl Champs because...

HHHmmmm, then what are you asking for? Yes I am clueless on what your post means. We can't "whine" about poor officiating on a football board? Oh and the Stillers are the 2005 SB Champs...yeah so what do you want.

Why are we "classless" Pats fans then?

Pats67 said:
yeah, because awarding a touchdown when one didn't occur in 2006 is exactly the same thing as correctly applying the Tuck Rule in 2002. I might suggest its you who needs to get a grip.

I will type s...l...o...w...l...y... so that those of you who are not 4 cylinder models may have a chance to understand.

The Squealers TD was a TD within the rules of the NFL. The officials called a TD on the field; not a 'bad' call given the circumstances. Replay calls for incontrovertable visual evidence to overturn a call on the field. The replay 'looked like' he 'may' not have made it, at least to me, but was hardly incontrovertable (you may need to look the word up - go right ahead) so the replay ref made the only correct call per the rules.

Please, I beg you, Learn The Game! (TM)

pats-blue said:
HHHmmmm, then what are you asking for? Yes I am clueless on what your post means.
Why am I not surprised?

We can't "whine" about poor officiating on a football board?
Whine all you want. Just acknowledge that you're a 'whiner'; that's all I said.

Oh and the Stillers are the 2005 SB Champs...yeah so what do you want.

Why are we "classless" Pats fans then?

Uh, try reading your own post. It was YOU not I who applied the term 'classless'.
Try to keep up.

Phokus said:
Heh, i would throw out one of those teams (the bengals), considering kimo von cheapshot artist destroyed carson palmer's knee on the 2nd play of the 1st quarter. .

You're wrong about Kimo. Right about the rest..but Kimo is not a cheapshot artist.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Uh, try reading your own post. It was YOU not I who applied the term 'classless'.
Try to keep up.

My bad on the ACTUAL word you used...I guess I should have asked how are Pats fans making "WHINERS" of other teams look good.

Exactly what are Pats fans doing that is so bad that YOU are degenirating them on thier own board?

Discussion of terrible officiating is "whining". You haven't backed up your arguement at all besides ridiculing other posters on calls with snide little comments hiding behind your computer.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I will type s...l...o...w...l...y... so that those of you who are not 4 cylinder models may have a chance to understand.

The Squealers TD was a TD within the rules of the NFL. The officials called a TD on the field; not a 'bad' call given the circumstances. Replay calls for incontrovertable visual evidence to overturn a call on the field. The replay 'looked like' he 'may' not have made it, at least to me, but was hardly incontrovertable (you may need to look the word up - go right ahead) so the replay ref made the only correct call per the rules.

Please, I beg you, Learn The Game! (TM)

You are only correct in that the ref could not overturn it. But, it wasn't a TD and never should have been called a TD. I watched the angle facing Rothlisberger and you can clearly see the ball is on the inside of his arm and his arm is blocked by a Seahawk that comes straight down outside the white line at the edge. It was impossible for that ball to break the plane since it's tucked inside his arm which never broke the plane until after he was down. So you take away that 7 that should have never been awarded and give Seattle the 7 they were robbed on a PI call that even Madden said during the game was not what he would call PI and you get the correct unofficial skewed score of 17-14 Seattle. Need to see it again? Feel free to view my hi-lite video here. :D

PatsWickedPissah said:
They overcame bad calls by refs (the INT against the Colts) and are not themselves responsible for any of the gift calls by the refs.

We'll never know if the Steelers would be SB champs without help from the Refs in the SB.

This cheapens and tarnishes what otherwise should be a great Cinderella story for the Steelers

They have every right to be pissed at the Refs - perhaps even more so than the Seahawks, as many express sympathy with them, but very few with the Steelers who many unfairly view as "stealing" the Super Bowl.

JoeSixPat said:
We'll never know if the Steelers would be SB champs without help from the Refs in the SB....This cheapens and tarnishes what otherwise should be a great Cinderella story for the Steelers They have every right to be pissed at the Refs - perhaps even more so than the Seahawks, as many express sympathy with them, but very few with the Steelers who many unfairly view as "stealing" the Super Bowl.
A great point..it really DOES cheapen what they have done....

I hope that this is the last post about Stinky Bowl XL.

Both teams were awful. Even without the ref's calls the Steelers playes just bad enough to win. The Seahawks, in spite of outplaying them for most of the game, played like a team who were afraid to win.

Michael said:
You are only correct in that the ref could not overturn it. But, it wasn't a TD and never should have been called a TD. I watched the angle facing Rothlisberger and you can clearly see the ball is on the inside of his arm and his arm is blocked by a Seahawk that comes straight down outside the white line at the edge. It was impossible for that ball to break the plane since it's tucked inside his arm which never broke the plane until after he was down. So you take away that 7 that should have never been awarded and give Seattle the 7 they were robbed on a PI call that even Madden said during the game was not what he would call PI and you get the correct unofficial skewed score of 17-14 Seattle. Need to see it again? Feel free to view my hi-lite video here. :D

I said I thought it was not a TD as well. That is IRRELEVANT.
The call made in the moment was as close as humans can do. It was not a 'bad' call, especially given the video. The NFL plays by the rules (See Tuck Rule) not what fans unhappy with an outcome wish were so.
Read again what I said about the rule and then this time really do go and look up INCONTROVERTABLE.
The public school system is really failing us.

Last edited:
PatsWickedPissah said:
I said I thought it was not a TD as well. That is IRRELEVANT.
The call made in the moment was as close as humans can do. It was not a 'bad' call, especially given the video. The NFL plays by the rules (See Tuck Rule) not what fans unhappy with an outcome wish were so.
Read again what I said about the rule and then this time really do go and look up INCONTROVERTABLE.
The public school system is really failing us.

Yes it is. Since you most likely went to public school. I went to private schools.

It was a bad call because it was too close to call and from what I see was not a TD. He made the call well after Ben fell and he ran over there. Which indicates he didn't know until he saw him on the ground. Which was too late. The call should have been 4th down. The ref not over turing it is irrelevant to that fact which you ignore. The ref should never had to make the call. I have no problem with him not overturning the ruling. he didn't have the benefit of seeing it in Hi-def on a 48" screen like the rest of us who know it wasn't TD. And as far as the tuck rule you (in your true troll form) keep mentioning that was a bad call corrected not a bad call held up such as is this case. The officials in XL had to begrudgingly correct the bad call in the fourth quarter and give the ball back to Seattle. Now that you may compare to the tuck rule.

Overcame The Officiating?

spacecrime said:
I don't know. Hard to beat eagle's fans for classlessness. It was tastless booing the MVPs, but at every Pats home game, the fans chant "you suck" after each opposing team player is announced. I find that to be prety embarrassing.

The Steelers won, they are the world champs, they have four rings. No one questions that.

But the officiating still sucked, in seveal playoff games.

I don't see why saying the officials are taking the game into their hands is whining. It is the truth. I'd be a lot more upset if the COlts had beaten the Steelrs after the calls that went the COlts way.

It is to the steelers credit that they ovecame the officiating in a way that the pats and seahawks couldn't.

More power to them.

But no team should have to overcome bad officiating.

And that ain't whining. It is a statement of fact.

The Stealers OVERCAME the officiating????What the he(( did they have to overcome? They had ONE BAD CALL AGAINST THEM in the Indy game (pomamalu or whatever his name is).....and that got OVERTURNED IN THEIR FAVOR........in the Superbowl.......(which this year should be referred to as the STUPID bowl for how bad it was) EVERY CONTROVERSIAL AND DEPLOREABLE call went FOR the Stealers..............Believe me....the officiating worked for the benefit of the Stealers this year......we got f'ed....Seattle got f'ed....seems to me like the NFL wanted the Stealers to get another SB

So as someone said earlier, and let me elaborate a little.....Stealers came out on the WINNING side of Superbowl 40......their road to the big dance was NOT NEARLY AS HARD as what we dealt with in any of our super bowl runs.....one man's opinion!!! GO PATS!!!

Very well said.......

JoeSixPat said:
We'll never know if the Steelers would be SB champs without help from the Refs in the SB.

This cheapens and tarnishes what otherwise should be a great Cinderella story for the Steelers

They have every right to be pissed at the Refs - perhaps even more so than the Seahawks, as many express sympathy with them, but very few with the Steelers who many unfairly view as "stealing" the Super Bowl.

Without the VERY VERY damaging calls made by the refs against the Seahawks......especially at a very pivotal point in the game.....I SEE SEATTLE GOING ON TO WIN THAT GAME!!! Think about it.....at that point in the game where they threw the ridiculous flag on Jackson.....Seattle was in command of the game and had all the momentum....after that play.....and several others (that were equally as rotten and unfair)......the "wind was taken out" of Seattle's sails.....and they fell apart.......good points

PS "the Steelers who many unfairly view as "stealing" the Super Bowl"

Maybe that is why EVERYONE is referring to them as the STEALERS!!!!

You folks remind me of the loser Raiders fans incessantly whining about the Pats 1st SB. Both groups of fans exhibit a total lack of class.

stcjones said:
The Stealers OVERCAME the officiating????What the he(( did they have to overcome? They had ONE BAD CALL AGAINST THEM in the Indy game (pomamalu or whatever his name is).....and that got OVERTURNED IN THEIR FAVOR........in the Superbowl.......(which this year should be referred to as the STUPID bowl for how bad it was) EVERY CONTROVERSIAL AND DEPLOREABLE call went FOR the Stealers..............Believe me....the officiating worked for the benefit of the Stealers this year......we got f'ed....Seattle got f'ed....seems to me like the NFL wanted the Stealers to get another SB

So as someone said earlier, and let me elaborate a little.....Stealers came out on the WINNING side of Superbowl 40......their road to the big dance was NOT NEARLY AS HARD as what we dealt with in any of our super bowl runs.....one man's opinion!!! GO PATS!!!

The Troy INT was overturned in who's favor?! What the Hell are you talking about? It went in favor of the COLTS in a call that was WAY, WAY worse than any call in the SB. The game would've been over if that obvious INT was called in favor of the Steelers. There was also an obvious PI on one of Indy's DB's on Randle El that wasn't called...

Seriously, where were all the bad calls in the SB? Besides the Hasslebeck penalty after he threw an INT, The OPI in the endzone is the only questionable call that went against Seattle. The Seahawk WR however did push off CLEARLY right in front of the ref, I agree, it was pretty questionable but when you do that right in front of the ref what do you expect? Ben's TD was a TD. Go back and look again or get a pair of glasses if you don't see it. The ball was breaking the plain of the endzone, all it has to do is touch the WHITELINE, which it did. It was a tough call to make when the play occured, but obvious when you see the replay.

I agree, the SB was a poorly played game, however I'm so f*cking tired of hearing people ***** about the supposed bad calls that Seattle got and that's why they lost. They had a couple of calls go against them, a COUPLE, and the calls weren't NEARLY as bad or obvious as the two against the Steelers in the Colts game. Seattle had a number of opportunities to take the lead, win the game, etc. THEY DIDN'T. Pittsburgh made the big plays when they had to, Seattle DIDN'T. The Steelers overcame the horrible officiating calls in the Colts game and WON. Enough's enough already...

You guys should listen to wickedpissah. He understands football.

But I can't believe how some of you guys just sound like a bunch of sore losers all of the sudden. I might expect this from a bunch of seahawk fans, but I would think that the beneficiaries of the 'tuck rule' would be the last to cry foul over somebody elses success.

On second thought......... watching you guys cry about our super bowl victory is pretty fun.

Keep it up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing