PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Steelers Are Real Champs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Despite much of the whining here and elsewhere, the Steelers are the 2005 season SuperBowl Champs because...

1. They overcame long odds winning playoff games against 4 good and very good teams.

2. They won the SB despite an abyssmal choke-ridden performance of their 22 rating QB. Roethlesberger siezed this playoff's "Manning Award" from surprise contender Tom Brady, but his team played well enough to win despite his 'contribution'.

3. They won because Cowher, never a great game day coach, coached well, far better than his opponent whose team looked as if they'd never practised a 2 minute drill, q.v. the end of each half.

4. They overcame bad calls by refs (the INT against the Colts) and are not themselves responsible for any of the gift calls by the refs.

Last edited:
Whatever
yawn.gif

PatsWickedPissah said:
Despite much of the whining here and elsewhere, the Steelers are the 2005 season SuperBowl Champs because...

1. They overcame long odds winning playoff games against 4 good and very good teams.

2. They won the SB despite an abyssmal choke-ridden performance of their 22 rating QB. Roethlesberger siezed this playoff's "Manning Award" from surprise contender Tom Brady, but his team played well enough to win despite his 'contribution'.

3. They won because Cowher, never a great game day coach, coached well, far better than his opponent whose team looked as if they'd never practised a 2 minute drill, q.v. the end of each half.

4. They overcame bad calls by refs (the INT against the Colts) and are not themselves responsible for any of the gift calls by the refs.

Heh, i would throw out one of those teams (the bengals), considering kimo von cheapshot artist destroyed carson palmer's knee on the 2nd play of the 1st quarter. Plus they played a rusty colts team (the colts fault, but still). And the seahawk really weren't that good to begin with. Really, neither team deserved to go to the superbowl, it was ugly to watch. It was like they went in thinking it was a preseason game.

The short answer : Because they were in the Super Bowl and they won it.

Pfft... I still wear my World Champs gear proudly.

BelichickFan said:
The short answer : Because they were in the Super Bowl and they won it.

Exactly. And I don't think that any rational person will deny that. It's like denying that the sky is blue.

But, many of us have a beef with the classless way the fans, players, and that wonderful coach acted in the SB.

PATSNUTme said:
Exactly. And I don't think that any rational person will deny that. It's like denying that the sky is blue.

But, many of us have a beef with the classless way the fans, players, and that wonderful coach acted in the SB.
I don't know. Hard to beat eagle's fans for classlessness. It was tastless booing the MVPs, but at every Pats home game, the fans chant "you suck" after each opposing team player is announced. I find that to be prety embarrassing.

The Steelers won, they are the world champs, they have four rings. No one questions that.

But the officiating still sucked, in seveal playoff games.

I don't see why saying the officials are taking the game into their hands is whining. It is the truth. I'd be a lot more upset if the COlts had beaten the Steelrs after the calls that went the COlts way.

It is to the steelers credit that they ovecame the officiating in a way that the pats and seahawks couldn't.

More power to them.

But no team should have to overcome bad officiating.

And that ain't whining. It is a statement of fact.

Because they scored more points in the stupor bowl. :(

You've got to BEAT the best, to be the best. I think I remember Big Ben completing about 30% of his passes and the World Champion Patriots beating the Steelers, in Pittsburgh no less.

Several folks here, not all, remind me of the obnoxious whiners from other teams who denigrated past SB Championships. Time to look in the mirror, people.

The Squealers won the SB fair and square by the rules established by the league. They did what they had to do. They executed well where they had control. They have no control over how the ball bounces or how refs make calls. Those are independant variables.

They won the StinkerBowl. That makes them the champs. Do you want a cookie?

Keep comparing yelling players from other teams "you suck" when they play against us with booing our players when they're being recognized in a special moment during the SB is a joke. Its not even in the same league.

Why would I recognize their championship if they didnt recognize our 2001 championship.

At the end... who cares who won... F- the Stealers.

maxhagen said:
They won the StinkerBowl. That makes them the champs. Do you want a cookie?

Keep comparing yelling players from other teams "you suck" when they play against us with booing our players when they're being recognized in a special moment during the SB is a joke. Its not even in the same league.

Why would I recognize their championship if they didnt recognize our 2001 championship.

At the end... who cares who won... F- the Stealers.

Thanks for illustrating my point about Pats fans who make the whiners from other teams look good. Attaboy!

The one doing the whining because Im "illustrating" your point of view that pats fans make other team fans look good is you.

They are the 2005 NFL Champs and I never said they werent. I just said that I dont care...

I thought some of the ref calls were, well, questioanble -:) But the Seahawks still could have won. They had 2 missed FG's and many dropped passes. They allowed a 75 yard run and as BB would say, "we don't have a defense that allows a 75 yard run". And for 2 weeks all anyone heard was how the Steelers would try a trick play. They get to midfield after Hasselbeck's INT and "penalty" and the Seahawks played it like they never heard of a trick play.
You win the Super Bowl and that makes you the World Champs. Even out here in the SF Bay area, Oakland fans will admit that they still could/should have won that game after *****ing a little about the tuck rule call. I'd think there are very few SB Champs that dont have some other teams fans they played that year, having a little ***** about how it should have been thier team.

PatsWickedPissah said:

You forgot the NUMBER ONE REASON why the Steelers are Super Bowl Champs!!!

1) They didn't have to play the Patriots!!!

Last edited:
PYPER said:
You forgot the NUMBER ONE REASON why the Steelers are Super Bowl Champs!!!

1) They didn't have to play the Patriots!!!
TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that's totally our fault, not theirs. They can only play the teams that make it on their post-season schedule. We didn't get it done, they got done at least what they needed to.

Last edited:
PatsSteve1 said:
I thought some of the ref calls were, well, questioanble -:) But the Seahawks still could have won. They had 2 missed FG's and many dropped passes. They allowed a 75 yard run and as BB would say, "we don't have a defense that allows a 75 yard run". And for 2 weeks all anyone heard was how the Steelers would try a trick play. They get to midfield after Hasselbeck's INT and "penalty" and the Seahawks played it like they never heard of a trick play. {Yet another example of Holmgren's bad preparation along with his Keystone Cops style 2 minute drills }

You win the Super Bowl and that makes you the World Champs. Even out here in the SF Bay area, Oakland fans will admit that they still could/should have won that game after *****ing a little about the tuck rule call. I'd think there are very few SB Champs that dont have some other teams fans they played that year, having a little ***** about how it should have been thier team.

Sanity at last. But wait! Whoa! It's from Steve!!! :)

It denigrates our own hard earned championships to whine about another's win, especially aspects that team had no control over. Every team that wins the SB has had a share of 'good fortune' in their playoff run.

Last edited:
PatsWickedPissah said:
It denigrates our own hard earned championships to whine about another's win, especially aspects that team had no control over. Every team that wins the SB has had a share of 'good fortune' in their playoff run.
Speaking of having 'no control', nothing that gets said on this thread or any other denigrates anything that the Patriots - and by that I mean the FO, the coaches, and most importantly, those tremendous players - have accomplished. Because we really don't have anything to do with it, do we? It wasn't us that built the team and coached them so well. It wasn't us who made the plays. Yes, we cheered, and maybe once in awhile we made enough noise to help (debateable recently). But mostly we just watched. Those championships belong to those guys, the guys that made them happen. Nothing, including anything said by third parties into the ether of the Internet, can ever change or diminish that at all.

That said - F the Steelers, sideways. I'm prepared to take the hit on my 'classiness quotient.'

Last edited:
Nonsense. It is not the fault of PITT that the top 6 teams in the league are in the AFC. PITT did beat the best in beating DEN and INDY. If we had beated DEN, the road to the Super Bowl would have gone through us.

drew4008 said:
You've got to BEAT the best, to be the best. I think I remember Big Ben completing about 30% of his passes and the World Champion Patriots beating the Steelers, in Pittsburgh no less.

spacecrime said:
I don't know. Hard to beat eagle's fans for classlessness. It was tastless booing the MVPs, but at every Pats home game, the fans chant "you suck" after each opposing team player is announced. I find that to be prety embarrassing.

The Steelers won, they are the world champs, they have four rings. No one questions that.

But the officiating still sucked, in seveal playoff games.

I don't see why saying the officials are taking the game into their hands is whining. It is the truth. I'd be a lot more upset if the COlts had beaten the Steelrs after the calls that went the COlts way.

It is to the steelers credit that they ovecame the officiating in a way that the pats and seahawks couldn't.

More power to them.

But no team should have to overcome bad officiating.

And that ain't whining. It is a statement of fact.

Just because one team acts classlesss doesn't excuse another.

I'm not one of the people who is putting a * by their SB "win' although I prefer to call it an non-loss.

If it was just the fans I wouldn't have as big a problem with the Steelers. But the players were classless and so was the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes