Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why the Republican Party became white

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 26, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

I never fully understood how the Republican Party went from being the party embraced by blacks to a party largely rejected by blacks. I understood that the Democratic Party, as the Party of immigrants, could make a good case to expand itself to being the party that best represented minorities, but why did blacks leave the Republicans who, after all, ended slavery?

Reading an article today, I came across something called the Lily White Movement, and I suspect that there are others like me who are unfamiliar with this movement. I found it quite interesting, and if you read the whole entry, you'll realize that the Democrats were in part to blame for the Republicans emphasizing their whiteness. A very cynical part of American history, but I think it helps explains the modern Republican Party and found it interesting.

Lily-White Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +418 / 12 / -26

Would not put too much stock in a Wikipedia article...

I think it is more to do with the wholesale rejection of the civil rights movement by the southern democrats and republicans in general.. that appears to be a more salient benchmark than the "Lily White" party..

When the Democrats and Republicans all flip flopped in the mid 60's... they defined their feelings on race, and there was an exodus from both parties.

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +418 / 12 / -26

My crystal ball predicts a short shelf life for certain posters..

5. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +63 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

nothing will happen...this is the political forum, anything goes

6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yup, we're through the looking glass here, up is down, back is forward, Harry's derailling crap is considered useful and pertinent to the conversation and one moderator lies through his teeth all day while the other calls half the people in the USA racists on a regular basis.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -9

Is this what you would like?

"yes your right"
    "thank you, your right too"
    "thank you, your wonderful"
    "thank you, your wonderful too"
    "thank you, Bush sucks"
    "oh yes, your right"
    "i love fried clams"
    "thank you so do i"
    "i love people that hate america"
    "thank you, so do i"
    "kill zimmerman"
    "oh god yes, kill zimmerman"
    "i love you"
    "i love you too"

Harry joins the forum:
    "I'm harry"
    "hi harry"
    "f-ck you"
    "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, mommy"

8. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +273 / 3 / -3

always the victim...

btw, the blatant disregard you've expressed for the Constitution and for principles that underlie our nation disqualify you from talking about others hating America

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

(1) Tell me which forum rule does Harry break? If you want to go after Harry, then I suggest you propose another forum rule. Nothing in the rules against proposing another rule.
    (2) The moderator you call a liar may on rare occasion be mistaken, as happens to all of us. Otherwise, he relies on sources and has interpretation that you disagree with. All of that is well within the rules of the forum.
    (3) The moderator who you say calls half the people in the USA racist has never done any such thing, but while you might call that accusation a lie, I will simply clarify it. The Republican Party is the natural home to (1) racists, (2) to those who see whites as a minority and want to preserve their rights, and (3) those who do not consider issues other than civil rights priority. That results in the Party being overwhelmingly white.

Had you bothered to read about the Lily White Movement, maybe you would have found it interesting from a historic perspective. The Republicans began to emphasize whites because the Democrats after the war were systematically disenfranchizing blacks at the state level, making them an irrelevant part of the Republican base. I found that interesting. You apparently chose to go off on a tangent (which some call hijacking or derailing) to launch personal attacks against Harry, PF, and me.

No one has called you a liar or a racist. There is no need for you to engage in such personal attacks.

10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I'm a little more skeptical of the article. Go back to the century after the Civil War and the South was solidly Democrat, so much so that the term yellow dog democrat referred to people who would....

"vote for a yellow dog before they would vote for any Republican"

Then came the Civil Right movement and the parties flipped. While many moderate Republicans voted for the legislation and helped get it passed over the objections of the Southern Democrats, those Southern Democrats morphed into Republicans, many of whom were if not hostile, at least indifferent to the interests of minorities. The Northern moderate Republicans became an endangered species as the Democratic party, especially in the north was more receptive to the interests and concerns of minorities. Obviously, I oversimplified and summarized a century and a half of politics but the Republicans of 1860-1900 were not as hostile to minorities as were Democrats of the time or some of the Republicans of today.
    Sometimes, it is not willful acts but tone deafness such as Ronald Reagan kicking off his 1980 campaign in Philadelphia , Mississippi where Schwerner, Chaney and Goodman, the three Civil rights workers were abducted and murdered.

11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm not gonna waste my time arguing with you about Harry constantly derailing threads. If you wanna keep pretending you don't notice it, that just points to why you're unqualified.

Here's a new rule proposal:

The moderators should not be trolls. They shouldn't make statements like 'Nazi Pope' or any of a hundred other statements that they know will start flame wars. Also threads like this one. Maybe you two should try setting an example for a change.

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -9

I turned White when I voted for Reagan.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

You come into this thread, hijack it, launch personal attacks against 3 people, don't even read the article about the Lily White Movement, and you think you're occupying the high road? Obviously, you're part of the entitled class, that dominant culture in our society, that thinks they know the rules of behavior better than others. Prejudice is obviously not as important an issue to you as it is to me, but this thread was about history more than prejudice until you chose to hijack it with your personal attacks.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...p-scumbag-strikes-again-page5.html#post348215

Sdaniels wrote, "You best tread lightly here Harry. If calling the Pope a Nazi is made against the rules, its a very slippery slope down to banning Al 'Boob' Gore-type comments."

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +418 / 12 / -26

So some hijacking is worse than others, and silence ensues over select hijackers???

Makes no sense either hijacking is or is not allowed...

15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Interesting history, shows the concerted efforts of the dems to disenfranchise newly freed slaves. Their success led the pubs to ignore the non existant black vote.

In modern terms even though more pubs voted for civil rights legislation LBJ a white racist cynically (IMO) used the 'War on Poverty' to make the dem party pitch to the black community combined with the equally cynical Nixon going for the Wallace vote.

Ironically this co incided with the assault on the Black family saw the amount of wealth in the black community decrease rather than increase.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

I knew it ... I was sure of it. :p:p:p

[​IMG]

17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -9

18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

"Why the Republican Party became white"

or why people become republicans?

Someone has to stop the trend of 50% of Americans supporting the other 50%, don't they? I'd like to see 70% of Americans paying taxes someday.

19. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

PR, capitalism doesn't work. It's just the best among a lot of bad economic models. If we stop supporting the other 50%, we'll end up like the southern states where more and more people literally live in gated communities. It's bizarre. If those states were to cut back their social services further, you'd have more crime, need more courts, and need more prisons. I don't think there's any easy answer. We had our periods with low taxes, no unemployment insurance, no Medicare, etc. They did not work.

20. Why?PJ

Why?PJ On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

proves you have no idea what you are talking about. Capitalism works when the government doesn't choose to screw it all up. We haven't had real capitalism in a very long time. When it was tried, it worked amazingly well.

If you take a gander through US history, the best times are linked to when capitalism and free market principles were most in effect. The liberals and communists however did their best to rewrite history and decide these good times were purely good luck.