PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Patriots don't want Dillon back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is some speculation on the topic from profootballtalk.com:

PATS NOT EXPECTED TO LET DILLON WALK

Amid all of the talk over the past couple of days regarding the looming release of running back Corey Dillon, has anyone else noticed that one key aspect of the relationship has been conspicuously quiet?

The Patriots, to be specific.

So until the team that holds Dillon's rights says that it's going to let him walk away with nothing in return (and potentially sign with the Jets or the Bills, if they move Willis McGahee), we aren't buying any of it.

And several league insiders agree. "Bill Belichick isn't going to let him just leave," said one source on Saturday.

Stay tuned.

Well they are good at speculation.

I prefer information.

Passing Jim Brown no big deal? OK.
I'll bet I'm the biggest Jim Brown fan here, BUT, he only played nine years, with 12 games in four of them and 14 games in the other five. Passing Jim Brown is not exactly like passing Gale Sayers or Sandy Koufax, but Jim didn't play in that many games, so his stats aren't huge any more.

Spare me with the holier than thou crap...

What is your point? He is no different than any other player who "risks not being able to think straight". If he said, I have done a lot in my career and want to retire I would be the first to congratulate him and wish him all the best. It sounds like to me he is just trying to weasel out of a contract after year 2 of 5 because there may be more money available in free agency.

The Patriots and Dillion worked out a new deal after the 2004 season, neither side was under any obligation to redo the deal. His contract was not exactly league minimim, and here is the important part "he thought it was good enough to sign in 2005" but now wants out.

Maybe the NFL should just let every player in the league change team each year if they want more "touches" or more money.

The Patriots put him in a great position to succeed but he is putting Corey before the team, just like he did for the Bengals.

The Patriots don't have to release him. If that is true, there must be a reason they want to.

They've got a #1 pick who needs to get it in gear. All thry really need is a JAG fullback and short yardage.

Why can't anyone accept the possibility that both sides want this?

I appreciate Dillon for what he contributed in our last SB winning year, and still think we got our monies worth. What I don't understand, and hope someone can shed some light for me, is what is in it for the Pats to release Dillon given the dead money hits that would be incurred?

I'll bet I'm the biggest Jim Brown fan here, BUT, he only played nine years, with 12 games in four of them and 14 games in the other five. Passing Jim Brown is not exactly like passing Gale Sayers or Sandy Koufax, but Jim didn't play in that many games, so his stats aren't huge any more.

I'm not saying it makes him better than Jim Brown, no one is.

I'm just anticipating the media frenzy when Dillon passes 5 guys in a year, (possibly), topped by Jim Brown.

I agree with many than Jim Brown's the greatest football player ever.

Corey's running style and power are reminiscent of Brown and I can see the media going crazy over passing an NFL great per week ending with Brown.

Unless Britney shaves her head again, that is.

I appreciate Dillon for what he contributed in our last SB winning year, and still think we got our monies worth. What I don't understand, and hope someone can shed some light for me, is what is in it for the Pats to release Dillon given the dead money hits that would be incurred?

I'm sure something was negotiated. Remember Dillon took a real small contract to start so he played ball in that way.

The Patriots try to do right by players who they don't need anymore who have been good soldiers.

Why do people think it has to be some sneaky adversarial thing? It's a win win. the Pat's want the best for Corey and Corey wants the best for the Pats which is employing that #1 pick.

He has had a great career but I doubt it has anything at all to do with why the Patriots would release him. He is showing his true colors as a greedy, selfish player. The Patriots saved his career and legacy, without the NE ring he would be a borderline HOF, with 1000 more yards he is now a lock.

The Patriots releasing him will be based purely on value and production not Corey's feelings or nonsense about a media distraction.

His best chance to reach the HOF is to stay with NE. I think he is crazy to want to leave. At his age the Patriots can place him in an ideal situation. If he played here 2 more years he would get about 1300-1600 yards and be neck and neck with Marcus Allen plus he will have 15-25 more TDs and maybe another ring.

Personally, I will miss his nose for the endzone but am tired of seeing him pull himself out after every play (tapping his hand on his helmet or just running off the field). I don't know how he expects to be a feature back when he can't stay on the field for more than two plays without getting gassed.

In some ways he reminds me of Canseco, both put up great numbers but could have done more. With a little more desire, CD could be a top 5 back of all time, one of the best power \ speed ratios I have ever seen (now way he is 225, more like 250 and still decent speed).

Too bad he's such a slacker.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

OK I'll give it one more try. He is due a $3M option bonus on top of his $2.5M salary. He was due to receive that option bonus last year but he played ball with the FO coming off an injury riddled season and deferred it at their behest until 2007. He also let them convert his 2006 salary of $3M to bonus, which put that money in his hand no matter what, though it increased his dead cap hits going forward. Then they drafted Maroney.

What is in it for the Pat's is not paying Corey Dillon $5.5M to be a goal line back behind their young first rounder and who should emerge in year 2 as their feature back. His dead cap next year would be increased as well after picking up that option, so they are saving money all around by cutting him now. The great part is Corey isn't biatching, just the fan base is because they can't understand that his agent is just doing his mercenary due diligence by spinning this cut as an opportunity to make more money for Corey IF HE CHOOSES TO CONTINUE PLAYING.

The Patriots don't have to release him. If that is true, there must be a reason they want to.

They've got a #1 pick who needs to get it in gear. All thry really need is a JAG fullback and short yardage.

Why can't anyone accept the possibility that both sides want this?

Of course the key statement is "IF THAT IS TRUE". We have no confirmation at all that the Patriots want to release him.

this is the same reason that no one is accepting that both sides want this, because they havent said so.

To add to the confusion Dillon was very clear that he was retiring for all the right reasons. Then his agent gave a different story. ENTER THE POTENTIAL FOR THE DREADED CONSPIRACY THEORY, and now everyone thinks they know the real truth that no one really can know.

I dont think that anyone is convinced the Pats aren't in agreement that Dillon should move on evenif he wants to keep playing. But since we really dont know if he wants to keep playing, and have NO CLUE what the Pats feelings on this subject are, it is very difficult to be convinced that any possible explanation has any certainty to it.

You may be right, you may be wrong, but there simply isn't enough information yet to know for sure which it is.

Spare me with the holier than thou crap...

What is your point? He is no different than any other player who "risks not being able to think straight". If he said, I have done a lot in my career and want to retire I would be the first to congratulate him and wish him all the best. It sounds like to me he is just trying to weasel out of a contract after year 2 of 5 because there may be more money available in free agency.

The Patriots and Dillion worked out a new deal after the 2004 season, neither side was under any obligation to redo the deal. His contract was not exactly league minimim, and here is the important part "he thought it was good enough to sign in 2005" but now wants out.

Maybe the NFL should just let every player in the league change team each year if they want more "touches" or more money.

The Patriots put him in a great position to succeed but he is putting Corey before the team, just like he did for the Bengals.

That contract he signed had an option bonus clause in it. That clause stated that if they didn't pick up the option his salary for the current season would be increased by it (from $3M to $6M GUARANTEED in 2006). They asked him to defer that option coming off an injury riddled season in 2005. He acquiessed. It is now due this year, and is likely why he is being cut. He doesn't want to play for $2.5M in base salary alone that is not guaranteed should he go through the rigors of off season workouts and camp only to be cut prior to opening day. They don't want to pay him $5.5M ($3M of it guaranteed) as his contract specifies. They have apparently agreed to a mutually acceptable solution - releasing him. You should follow their lead.

And I'm not all that holier than thou - in fact I have suggested on several occasions that Ian expand our smilies cache to include some I'd like to use on you about now...

Of course the key statement is "IF THAT IS TRUE". We have no confirmation at all that the Patriots want to release him.

this is the same reason that no one is accepting that both sides want this, because they havent said so.

To add to the confusion Dillon was very clear that he was retiring for all the right reasons. Then his agent gave a different story. ENTER THE POTENTIAL FOR THE DREADED CONSPIRACY THEORY, and now everyone thinks they know the real truth that no one really can know.

I dont think that anyone is convinced the Pats aren't in agreement that Dillon should move on evenif he wants to keep playing. But since we really dont know if he wants to keep playing, and have NO CLUE what the Pats feelings on this subject are, it is very difficult to be convinced that any possible explanation has any certainty to it.

You may be right, you may be wrong, but there simply isn't enough information yet to know for sure which it is.

From the original article

Asked if he would suit up for another team, Dillon said he was "going to leave the window open, but it's very slim.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/02/23/patriots_dillon_to_call_it_quits/

My opinion is he won't play for more money. another chance to win etc., but he sees the HOF available with one good years production and can't resist it.

Is he officially released? I don't know, but I wonder when Reiss says "according to his agent" then says this:

"In releasing Dillon, the Patriots are expected to use a new part of the collective bargaining agreement that allows teams to release players before June 1, but still declare them a June 1 cut for salary cap purposes."

Reiss is connected, unlike most.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/02/24/agent_dillon_will_be_released/

Last edited:
OK I'll give it one more try. He is due a $3M option bonus on top of his $2.5M salary. He was due to receive that option bonus last year but he played ball with the FO coming off an injury riddled season and deferred it at their behest until 2007. He also let them convert his 2006 salary of $3M to bonus, which put that money in his hand no matter what, though it increased his dead cap hits going forward. Then they drafted Maroney.

What is in it for the Pat's is not paying Corey Dillon $5.5M to be a goal line back behind their young first rounder and who should emerge in year 2 as their feature back. His dead cap next year would be increased as well after picking up that option, so they are saving money all around by cutting him now. The great part is Corey isn't biatching, just the fan base is because they can't understand that his agent is just doing his mercenary due diligence by spinning this cut as an opportunity to make more money for Corey IF HE CHOOSES TO CONTINUE PLAYING.

I am not sure that the 3mill roster bonus is a fact. (But I havent come close to reading all of the dillon posts in the last 3 days, so i could be ignorant)

There is absolutely no question that if the Pats have to write a 3million dollar check to Dillon, and on top of that he has a 2.5mill salary, that you have to seriously question whether he is worth it. If that is the case, then if Dillon had said nothing, he would most likely be released before that bonus was due.

But here is why I question the 3mill bonus.
If Dillon had even a 1% chance of getting paid 5.5mill by the Pats this year (which he would up until the day they cut him) there is no way in the world he would be looking to get out. UNLESS he was HONEST about retiring and decided to do the right thing and announce it early so the Pats could take care of business, and not have them make FA and draft plans expecting him back.

The questions to me are:
1) Are we sure there is a 3mill roster bonus
1a) If there is, why would anyone doubt Dillons veracity of wanting to retire? If he was playing a game he would stay quiet until he cashed the check.
1b) If there is not, then why would the Patriots release him?
-If he does want to play they forfeit any compensation they could get (which by the way if he does want to play could include reimbursement of some of the signing bonus in return for his release) If he wants to retire it gets even more sticky.
2) If he plans to retire, why would the Pats need to release him? He could just file retirement papers.
2b) If he retired the Pats have the right to demand payback of some of the signing bonus. Likely they would not BUT if he then went to play elsewhere absolutely they would. By getting released he frees himself of any potential to have to pay back the signing bonus. So why would the Patriots release him?

I think I am more confused than ever after typing that.
My conclusion: There are about 40 different possible scenarios going on here, and we do not have a lot of the necessary information to know which is accurate. (40 because the answer to one question just leads to another)
I guess this is a case where it is simply way too early to have a clue whether we are speculating accurately. We will eventually know what is really going on but I dont think it will be too soon.

I'm not saying it makes him better than Jim Brown, no one is.

I'm just anticipating the media frenzy when Dillon passes 5 guys in a year, (possibly), topped by Jim Brown.

I agree with many than Jim Brown's the greatest football player ever.

Corey's running style and power are reminiscent of Brown and I can see the media going crazy over passing an NFL great per week ending with Brown.

Unless Britney shaves her head again, that is.
I know what you're saying, and maybe passing all those guys could turn the tide for Dillon. I also agree that his running style is somewhat like Jim Brown's. Nothing more exciting in football than a big strong fast guy that can run over or around and away from defenders.

From the original article

Asked if he would suit up for another team, Dillon said he was "going to leave the window open, but it's very slim.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/02/23/patriots_dillon_to_call_it_quits/

My opinion is he won't play for more money. another chance to win etc., but he sees the HOF available with one good years production and can't resist it.

See what I just posted.
If Dillon truly wants to play again, but not for the Pats, there is motivation to 'pretend' he is retiring.

Why does he need to be released in order to retire? He doesnt butis aksing for a release.
Naturally if you release him you cannot go after the signing bonus.
If he retires he cannot go to another team.
If he says he wants to play elsewehere, why would the Pats just release him for nothing? And as i said before part of the comp could be payback of some of the signing bonus.

These questions allude to Dillon having an ulterior motive.
If could on the other be that he just really does plan to retire, and is concerned about having to pay back the signing bonus (i would be too). I think that once you file retirement papers there is some kind of rule about what you have to do if you 'unretire' so he may just be trying to avoid that on the small chance he changes his mind.
Again, to many questions, not enough answers.

Andy, Miguel has documentation on his site regarding the option bonus from both AdamJT13 and Borges writing about how it had been deferred.

The reason the terminology "asked for his release" is used is to help the agent spin it as something other than a cut for cap/value/performance reasons. They may well have had an agreement dating back to last year when they deferred what was a bonus with a guaranteed non exercise clause (it doubled his salary) that if they didn't pick it up in 2007 they would release him at the start of FA on his terms. It could be the option isn't due until mid month or April, and this is just BB letting a vet go at the earliest possible date to do whatever he decides to do. Like we did with Willie. We could have held on to Willie into camp knowing we weren't going to absorb his cap hit or pay him a nickle - but we chose to release him and let him go chase a few more bucks. It is what it is, as he says.

Last edited:
See what I just posted.
If Dillon truly wants to play again, but not for the Pats, there is motivation to 'pretend' he is retiring.

Why does he need to be released in order to retire? He doesnt butis aksing for a release.
Naturally if you release him you cannot go after the signing bonus.
If he retires he cannot go to another team.
If he says he wants to play elsewehere, why would the Pats just release him for nothing? And as i said before part of the comp could be payback of some of the signing bonus.

These questions allude to Dillon having an ulterior motive.
If could on the other be that he just really does plan to retire, and is concerned about having to pay back the signing bonus (i would be too). I think that once you file retirement papers there is some kind of rule about what you have to do if you 'unretire' so he may just be trying to avoid that on the small chance he changes his mind.
Again, to many questions, not enough answers.

All solid possibilities with all these contract ramifications.

I just think sometimes there is an honorable understanding where player and team wish each other well.

Corey took a much lower contract than he could have gotten with another team to play for the Patriots. I'm not a contract guy, but i think anyone would agree with me.

He broke our all time record in 2004 and almost crippled himself trying to win a few games in 2005 when we had nobody to run the ball.

I could be wrong, but I bet corey has been talking with BB all season knows they need to go with Maroney and doesn't want to sit on the bench.

He could retire or he might get into the hall.

I could be wrong, but I think he would retire immediately if the Hall wasn't a possibility.

He's said it many times "I don't have anything to prove" BUT that HOF induction would pay back a few slights.

He's a very proud man with a big ego and I think the Hall's too close for him to not try for it.

Andy, Miguel has documentation on his site regarding the option bonus from both AdamJT13 and Borges writing about how it had been deferred.

The reason the terminology "asked for his release" is used is to help the agent spin it as something other than a cut for cap/value/performance reasons. They may well have had an agreement dating back to last year when they deferred what was a bonus with a guaranteed non exercise clause (it doubled his salary) that if they didn't pick it up in 2007 they would release him at the start of FA on his terms. It could be the option isn't due until mid month or April, and this is just BB letting a vet go at the earliest possible date to do whatever he decides to do. Like we did with Willie. We could have held on to Willie into camp knowing we weren't going to absorb his cap hit or pay him a nickle - but we chose to release him and let him go chase a few more bucks. It is what it is, as he says.

As I said the 3mill may be verified and I wasnt aware of it.

Certainly it is possible that its a face saving move by dillon and his agent, and the Pats decided to release him. But we DO NOT KNOW THAT YET.
Until the Pats DO release him, any argument that says i understand everything going on here that presupposes the Pats will release him is premature.
No one from the Pats has confirmed that Dillon is being released.

You may in fact be right, but until the Pats speak or act it is only speculation.

I think your viewpoint makes as much sense as any, but i cant know its right until it plays out.
If the Pats intended on cutting him, its a non-issue, because everything spoken in the media was simply public relations garbage.

The issue still unsettled to me is why would Corey Dillon say I am retiring so I asked them to release me, rather than I am filing my retirement papers.

There's been a lot posted about Dillon and I may have missed it, but has anyone considered that if we give Dillon his release, he might be back at Gillette next year playing in Jets green? Or Bills blue?

Jets have Washington but no real heavy hitter. Bills have MaGahee on the trading block. You want to play Dillon twice next year? I don't.

If we release him, he could easily become a New York Jet or Buffalo Bill.

That would suck.

If he retires, he goes on the reserve Retired list, and not to the Jets/Bills. If he is released, he goes where he wants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back