PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the New England Patriots will need to create more cap space and how they can do so

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Why the New England Patriots will need to create more cap space and how they can do so

Miguel Benzan

Listing why the Patriots will need to create more cap space and how they can do so.

Continue reading...

Incredibly informative.
To gain cap space, I vote to cut Cannon…a (1)win, (2)win, (3)win maneuver.
1) Gain $3+ mill in cap space
2) Remove a turnstyle and upgrade using a rookie contract
3) Save on team chiropractor bills from all the whiplash treatments for Cannon as he swivels his head watching DL fly by him.

Incredibly informative.
3) Save on team chiropractor bills from all the whiplash treatments for Cannon as he swivels his head watching DL fly by him.

While I agree that the team needs to shave some $$ off of Cannon's deal, if his toe is healthy I really think Scar can get him to where he was during the 2013 season.

So it seems the best manuever is to release cannon. That would move the cap space closer to $9 million.

brilliantly written and structured as always
would not be surprised if the pats front office plugs in from time to time
(let alone the fancy agents around the league)

greateful to learn from you, Miguel

Informative. I was waiting for this article.

Slight typo "For example, the Patriots could create $4,212,500 in cap space by Jabaal Sheard."

6 MIL at this point would seem like enough. There are teams that still need QBs and are much tighter to the cap.

Let's assume they didn't free up additional money what does that actually end up costing them?

While I agree that the team needs to shave some $$ off of Cannon's deal, if his toe is healthy I really think Scar can get him to where he was during the 2013 season.
he is a nice back up because he can play G/T, but should not be a starter if we can swing that.

6 MIL at this point would seem like enough. There are teams that still need QBs and are much tighter to the cap.

Let's assume they didn't free up additional money what does that actually end up costing them?
The chance to extend Collins and/or Butler this year.

The entire article is written from a well articulate premise that $6M isn't enough. If you are going to fundamentally disagree with Miguel, at least do it in response to his carefully crafted reasoning.

THOUGHTS

1) We are about even with the cap at this point. If nothing happens, we can sign our draft choices and have the reserves we need to start the season. Of course, we are still free to sign free agents now, and make up for the cap money later.

2) Some of the extensions are major pluses since they ADD cap space (Hightower, Sheard). There may be more extensions in this category (Branch? Ninkovich? Cooper? Vollmer?). Clearly, these extensions are a priority.

3) There is relatively little reasonable room for cutting/restructuring players to create space, without creating holes. I certainly agree that the 3 Miguel suggests are possibilities: Amendola, Cannon and Jones. I expect all three to sign renegotiated contracts. BTW, I'm in the small minority here. I think that Cannon might be extended. I believe that Scar considers him an adequate backup. Of course, after seeing Waddle a lot more, he might be OK with Waddle instead.

4) I expect us to continue to make minor signings like Kuhn. I expect to see a CB, OG, LB, and a RB or two. This could happen at any time, including during camp. This is simply business as usual. I don't expect any major signings at this point. We also could see a minor trade or two. Trading a 6th for a player could be more successful than drafting a player in the 6th.

5) The elephants in the room are the contracts of Butler and Collins. Obviously, as fans, we want to sign these players. The players may choose to wait, with the hope of more money that the patriots are prepared to offer. Their next contract is a HUGE opportunity for both players.

Incredibly informative.

Yup.

And then we should sign a veteran swing backup OT for $3M, and we'll be ahead, or will we?

The Cannon deal, in terms of money, made no sense in the first place. But BB might be loath to cut his losses due to the lack of depth in the OL as it stands right now. Maybe if some people emerge in Training Camp, Cannon will be deemed surplus to needs and cut but I don't see that move happening right away.

he is a nice back up because he can play G/T, but should not be a starter if we can swing that.
Yea he was brutal at guard in 2014. They didn't prepare him well but I also think that is not a good position for him.

The Cannon deal, in terms of money, made no sense in the first place. But BB might be loath to cut his losses due to the lack of depth in the OL as it stands right now. Maybe if some people emerge in Training Camp, Cannon will be deemed surplus to needs and cut but I don't see that move happening right away.

The Cannon deal never made sense to posters. Cannon was given RT starter pay to be the swing man to two OT's with injury histories. Belichick thought that he was worth the extra $1M or so a year. I don't think that the situation has changed much, except that Solder is coming back from an injury and Vollmer is on his contract year.

As you say, someone might beat Cannon out, or not.

I can't believe you would advocate...........

Oh wait...didn't see the size 27 font disclaimer. :D

(Just kidding. I remember what you went through last week)

"Please note that I am NOT advocating nor I am suggesting that the Patriots do all of these salary-cap maneuvers."

Thanks Miguel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back