PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the love for Miami?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWorldChamps

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Lots of gurus are picking Miami as the "sleeper" in the AFC... i cant understand why... if it's because of culpepper, im baffled... after he lost moss, he was terrible, BEFORE he got injured... why does anyone think he is even average? (he's not) The injury was not his problem; he stunk before it... is everyone just betting on a new coach, and meaningless streak at the end of last year, and an old D? i just have no idea why anyone thinks they can contend.

Last edited:
I think Culpepper gives the Fins hope that they may finally have a QB who can approximate Marino. That's fine for me though because I always liked Montana more than Marino during their playing days.

I do not understand that either, their aging d, a mediocre qb leads me to believe they are a so so team. Their streak is suspect also as we did not play all our regulars that game and we came close to beating them anyways. I like Saban better than Wannstedt, but so far he has not proven anything in the Pro ranks...just a lot of off season banter, the sports talkers have to have something to say..some bulletin board material for the Pats.

GJAJ15 said:
I do not understand that either, their aging d, a mediocre qb leads me to believe they are a so so team. Their streak is suspect also as we did not play all our regulars that game and we came close to beating them anyways. I like Saban better than Wannstedt, but so far he has not proven anything in the Pro ranks...just a lot of off season banter, the sports talkers have to have something to say..some bulletin board material for the Pats.

i think that is exactly right... the talking heads need something to say... culpepper was GARBAGE without moss... is ronnie brown a top RB? it doesnt appear so... ricky "bongfest" williams will probably never play in the nfl again... the D is getting old...i just see miami imploding this year... who knows... i do think saban is ok, but you gotta have some players.

I think the media jumped on the Miami bandwagon around the time they signed Cullpepper and still had Williams while the Patriots were cutting some of their best players. Now that they lost Williams and Cullpeper is still a huge question mark should change people's minds from here on out.

That said, a questionable Cullpepper is still better than the 3rd string qbs they've been using the past few years, and Chambers is no slouch. He should have a huge year if Cullpepper gets anywhere near his old form.

ABNE.....VERY simply...ANYBODY BUT NEW ENGLAND!!!!

How teams finish a season is a very good indicator of how they will play the following season, provided they are playing some decent teams. (People got caught in this trap after the Bills strong finish in 2004). I do think Miami will be a decent team and Culpepper will be an upgrade.
Decent team + the AFC East creampuff schedule this year= Wildcard

Well considering people were jumping all over the Detriot lions and Vikings last year, I for one can see it happening.
Culpepper has a great young rb to hand the ball of to him (something he has never had).
The defense is getting older but Saban did two smart things. He started to mix some of the younger players with the older players. And he got that defense to run a 3-4 and look good in 1 year. They have another year of experience and will be able to build on it.

Plus this is everyone's thinking.. Miami starts off hot all the time but then cools off towards the end of the season. But last year they finished strong so some people might think that Saban is the answer. He'll get them start hot and finish strong... Making a push for the playoffs..
There first 6 games, they should go 4-2. The only two tough teams are PITT and NE... And I like Saban's chance's against PITT on opening day.. History showed us last year that he has his team prepared and ready to play ball!
I'm sure, like BB, he already started planning it.

It is a phenomenon we see all the time...

Team has 2-4 win season, fires coach.
New coach comes in, team improves by 3-5 wins.
Mediots see new coach as absolute genius, project another 3-5 win improvement, playoff appearance, etc, etc...

IMHO, what is more likely is that they regress a step or two than they advance a step or two. It is easier to take a team from 4 wins to 8 or 9 than it is to take them from 8 or 9 wins to 12.

PatsWorldChamps said:
Lots of gurus are picking Miami as the "sleeper" in the AFC... i cant understand why... if it's because of culpepper, im baffled... after he lost moss, he was terrible, BEFORE he got injured... why does anyone think he is even average? (he's not) The injury was not his problem; he stunk before it... is everyone just betting on a new coach, and meaningless streak at the end of last year, and an old D? i just have no idea why anyone thinks they can contend.

If football games are won along the offensive and defensive lines, then Miami is going to flop. I think Miami along with Seattle will be teams that will disappoint most in 06.

QuiGon said:
IMHO, what is more likely is that they regress a step or two than they advance a step or two. It is easier to take a team from 4 wins to 8 or 9 than it is to take them from 8 or 9 wins to 12.
I agree that as the team gets better, the wins are harder...I would be a bit surprised if they got to 9 this year.

If anyone want to make an over/under bet with Miami at 8.5, I'll take the over bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami sucks...

PatsWorldChamps said:

The media has been on their bandwagon for the last 25 years.

Jacky Roberts said:
If football games are won along the offensive and defensive lines, then Miami is going to flop. I think Miami along with Seattle will be teams that will disappoint most in 06.

Finally someone brings out the true point in all this! Miami's offensive line BLOWS! Yes Frerotte, Fiedler, Lucas and whoever else they had since Marino weren't pro bowl QBs but they were good enough to play NFL ball which means if they had a decent line, they would have done a lot better. Chambers wasn't known as a long ball receiver because his qb never had the time to throw it long. But Chambers and McMichael (the wife beater) are probowl level players who never had a chance because of THE LINE more then the qb.

On defense, Taylor is their best weapon at end but he's aging and they don't have the linebacker depth to play 3-4 all game.

Miami has some solid players that I wish we had on the Pats...but their surrounding cast (which wasn't really addressed in the draft) is going to be why they will be lucky to finish with 9 wins, and that's only my gift prediction because they have an easy schedule.

Tyler Faith said:
Finally someone brings out the true point in all this! Miami's offensive line BLOWS! Yes Frerotte, Fiedler, Lucas and whoever else they had since Marino weren't pro bowl QBs but they were good enough to play NFL ball which means if they had a decent line, they would have done a lot better. Chambers wasn't known as a long ball receiver because his qb never had the time to throw it long. But Chambers and McMichael (the wife beater) are probowl level players who never had a chance because of THE LINE more then the qb.

On defense, Taylor is their best weapon at end but he's aging and they don't have the linebacker depth to play 3-4 all game.

Miami has some solid players that I wish we had on the Pats...but their surrounding cast (which wasn't really addressed in the draft) is going to be why they will be lucky to finish with 9 wins, and that's only my gift prediction because they have an easy schedule.

Miami still has some quality pass and run stoppers, but I"m still not sure how they move the ball on anyone. Miami's o-line is sketchy and Seymour and co. will have a field day vs them again. Also, their secondary is punched up, as well. It seems Miami's weaknesses are at the worst possible positions (trying to stop Seymour and trying to stop Brady). People will stop talking about the Fins once the season starts.

Hey Tyler, do people down there really think they are a Super Bowl team???

Jacky Roberts said:
Hey Tyler, do people down there really think they are a Super Bowl team???

Miami fans always think Superbowl because of their history of starting strong and all the great things Marino did. My man, as much as he tries to hide it, knows that he won't see Miami in Miami this year. But, I guess as a true fan, he has to be hopeful.

We live in Los Angeles so it's hard to say what all the Phins fans are thinking but I know they think Daunte is their ticket back to the bowl.

In addition to the issues in the OL and DL (minus Taylor). Most of the Fin LB's are 4-3 LB, look at Pope and Thomas very indersized for 3-4 LB's. The Fin CB's used to give Brady fits with their Man ability, they are gone, the entire D Backfield has questions going into the season.

yeah but....

mcsully said:
Well considering people were jumping all over the Detriot lions and Vikings last year, I for one can see it happening.
Culpepper has a great young rb to hand the ball of to him (something he has never had).
The defense is getting older but Saban did two smart things. He started to mix some of the younger players with the older players. And he got that defense to run a 3-4 and look good in 1 year. They have another year of experience and will be able to build on it.

Plus this is everyone's thinking.. Miami starts off hot all the time but then cools off towards the end of the season. But last year they finished strong so some people might think that Saban is the answer. He'll get them start hot and finish strong... Making a push for the playoffs..
There first 6 games, they should go 4-2. The only two tough teams are PITT and NE... And I like Saban's chance's against PITT on opening day.. History showed us last year that he has his team prepared and ready to play ball!
I'm sure, like BB, he already started planning it.

"But last year they finished strong so some people might think that Saban is the answer."

BUT....they had only ONE tough team (San Diego....that should have kicked Miami's ***** if they had any other coach other than sh##yheimer) in the final 7........we laid down for them, and they played the jets, oakland, Buffalo twice and I have forgotten the remaining one.......Let's face it....4 out of their 7 remaining games were against teams with a 4-12 record or worse....then they played our scrubs.....and SD......I think the combo of harrington/culpepper vastly improves their QB position......but in my opinion, they have alot of holes to fill and will not go anywhere this year....

patsfan13 said:
Thomas very indersized for 3-4 LB's. The Fin CB's used to give Brady fits with their Man ability, they are gone, the entire D Backfield has questions going into the season.

I never really paid attention to Zack Thomas before dating a Dolphins fan but I gotta tell ya, he's pretty amazing to watch, even as he gets older. He didn't do too bad last year in their 3-4. The problem is, they don't have any depth at lineback. Crowder had an awesome rookie season but there's not too much left after him and Zach.

And yes, the corners are not the greatest after madison and surtain left but watch out for Will Poole (USC). If he stays healthy, he's going to be an impact player. Regardless, the line isn't what it needs to be and Brady will eat 'em alive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye