PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the lack of BJGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowardRoark

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I don't have the snap counts to back me up, but it seems like BJGE was on the bench a lot last night. Anyone know why? I love Woody, but he is best when used in moderation, mostly on 3rd.

Another strange choice in the game plan. A 1,000 yard rusher that can break tackles pretty much replaced by 5'-7' Danny Woodhead for most of the game.

D. Woodhead 14 carries for 46 yds

B. Green-Ellis 9 carries for 43 yds

I was wondering the same thing

Just another head scratcher of the bizarre gameplan on offense last night.

Last edited:
I agree. There were a couple of plays where BJGE got a 7 or 8 yard gain, got up and promptly went to the sideline and put on his coat. It seemed to me that the Jets were dropping alot of people back in coverage and we were not running the ball enough with BJGE to take advantage of that. Nine carries by your feature back. Hmmmm.

When you are down all game then you are probably passing and Woodhead is the passing back

The only conclusion I can come to is that the Patriots over schemed themselves in the attempt to surprise the Jets. Honestly, I swore I was watching the 2009 Patriots yesterday. It was a diabolical regression for the offense.

Outside of the first two drives the offense never played like the 2010 offense. Some credit must go to the Jets but a large portion of that falls on the Patriots.

The team really did kill themselves last night and it started by passing 45 times and keeping the Law-Firm benched.

There were too many series where we passed on first down, ran on second down, and passed on third down.

We needed to run more on first down with BJGE. I was yelling this at the TV all night long.

We were playing catchup most of the game. Woodhead is our back in the passing sets and runs the draws out the Shotgun. During the season we were not behind in many games. The games we did lose BJGE had about the same # of carries, if that.

There was a point in the game where it was going to be a slug fest. Meaning, it wasn't going to be Brady passing us to victory. We should have been using Law firm to pound it untl the Jets tried to stop the run. They were defensed to stop Brady, and it worked.

We were playing catchup most of the game. Woodhead is our back in the passing sets and runs the draws out the Shotgun. During the season we were not behind in many games. The games we did lose BJGE had about the same # of carries, if that.

The problem was that they were only down one or two scores most of the game and acted like they were down by more.

And of course when they really needed to score, they have that 7 minute drive showing no sense of urgency.

The problem was that they were only down one or two scores most of the game and acted like they were down by more.

And of course when they really needed to score, they have that 7 minute drive showing no sense of urgency.
Absolutely. At no point did it resemble a blow out or unmanageable score line until the Patriots made it so toward the end of the game.

It was the worst called game of the season for the Patriots.

Absolutely. At no point did it resemble a blow out or unmanageable score line until the Patriots made it so toward the end of the game.

It was the worst called game of the season for the Patriots.
Yep.

The players in the middle of the offense--Brady, Connolly and Koppen--were outmatched by their counterparts.

And I hate acknowledging the Jets coaching staff was better than the Patriots' for the simple reason that the Patriots seemed to suck in both game plan AND execution. Very disappointing.

Us not pounding the ball directly resulted to this loss IMO. Put way too much pressure on Brady and the passing game to carry the team.

BJGE was running about as hard as I've ever seen, he converted a couple big 1st downs and then *poof* he was gone. We started to abandon the run, or at least run formations, when we went down 14-3....very poor coaching job last night.

From what I have read here on the board it seemed like the Jests were playing the pass and daring the Pats to run. Why not pound the rock a bit more? As much as I love Danny Woodhead he's not the answer to pounding the rock.

I don't buy this.

BJGE barely got the ball in the 1st half, when the score was very close up until the 2 minute warning.

The offense reverted back to the horrible 2009 playoff blowout against Baltimore, when Kevin Faulk was overused and predictably used over and over.

I don't buy this.

BJGE barely got the ball in the 1st half, when the score was very close up until the 2 minute warning.

The offense reverted back to the horrible 2009 playoff blowout against Baltimore, when Kevin Faulk was overused and predictably used over and over.

Well BJGE doesn't get the ball a ton typically. He normally gets about 14 carries a game, there have been plenty halves where it seems like he's barely used even in the games we win. He got 9 yesterday, which is 5 less than his average. I wasn't saying I agreed with it, but that was my guess on why he was barely used. If you ask me the Pats abandon their base offense too early in the games they trail. He was used similarly in the 2 regular season losses, I'm not sure if he even got a touch once Cleveland went up 17-7.

This has to be one of biggest questions coming out of yesterday's game. The Jets took the pass away from us, we lost it at the line of scrimmage in pass protection, we lost it in coverage and we lost it in timing. Normally You would expect to see a team try to run the ball at that point if for no other reason than to try to regain control of the tempo of the game. I'm really perplexed at how reluctant we were to get away from a passing attack when it clearly wasn't working. I read a comment here about how some of the o-linemen seemed to break off their blocks apparently thinking that Brady had already passed the ball when he hadn't. I think the receivers were similarly confused. On more than 1 occasion the receiver seemed pretty surprised to find the ball coming his way and was not in a good position to make the reception. All in all it was a very strange gameplan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots