PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cblesz

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I am curious. Why the hate, vitriol and venom toward the Patriots? Look, we were the laughing stock of the league for several years. Finally, a great owner bought the team and brought in good people from coaches to scouting personnel. The team has won three Super Bowls and is in contention every year. I seriously doubt the reason behind that is a video camera.

Why? Why does the rest of the league and it's fans hate us? I don't remember the Steelers, Cowboys or 49er great teams get this much hate. I need to know. Is it because:

-Our coach has a strange personality and is not all bubbly all the time?
-We draft better than the rest of the league?
-Our scouts apparently do a better job of judging a player's abilities.
-Our quarterback is a stud and bangs supermodels and actresses?
-Our coach happened to have issues within his marriage?
-Our owner spends money wisely?
-We have a nice new stadium?
-We refuse to cave to player contract demands?
-Once incident after a playoff game where a couple of immature players acted like fools...after the other team acted like dopes in the media prior to the game?
-Our coach won't hug his ex-protege after a game?
-We get all the calls in playoff games? <sarcasm>
-Free agents choose to come play for us?
-We have such an easy schedule year after year?
-The Patriots whine to the league year after year asking them to change rules to benefit their system?
-Our quarterback is in every other commercial? <sarcasm>
-Our players are getting arrested?

Please. Someone enlighten me. Is it simply jealousy that other franchises are inept? Is it because we are perennial contenders...even with no receivers and continuoisly losing coaching personnel? Is it the fact that we have three Super Bowl trophies?

Whatever the reason, I am getting real sick of the hate. I would like nothing more than for us to put a spanking on San Diego Sunday night in front of the netire country.

It simply boils down to nothing more than jealously and ego...

Other teams are obviously kinda ticked off that the Pats have kicked their ass week in week out, and are now trying to seize on this as a way of saying "Ha, see, maybe they cheated when they beat us in the playoffs".

It's been the same with all the raiders fans who have been crying for years that the pats cheated them in the playoffs... They just can't accept that THEY lost to a better team, and a better coaching staff.

It's pathetic that now we are seeing people wanting an "asterisk" be placed next to the pats super bowl victories...:rolleyes:

My feeling is that this whole thing is just going to give the patriots the ultimate disrespect card... Forget bulletin board material, or parade routes, THIS is going to keep the fire burning all season.

We will see who gets the last laugh. :cool: Bring it on!

A lot of it is jealousy and bitterness because NE has ended many seasons.

The rest is sheep listening to ESPN. They built up NE and proceeded to tear NE down. The sheep followed. They'll act offended at this notion, as if our views aren't easily manipulated by the media. The truth is that the media has built up this current controversy, and could have easily ignored it. If not for ESPN making a big deal of "tapegate," "the handshake," and the entire Patriots team (known in NE as Elllis Hobbs) dancing on the Chargers logo people wouldn't have even cared.

'several' years?

several years??

several years?!?!?!?

understatement of the year

addendum:
-Is it because we constantly beat teams that we are in no way supposed to beat?

I appreciate the spirit guys but this is clearly a case of taking the guy you can't beat, building him a nice, high, pedestal, and letting gravity do its work.

Maybe it's "making an example" of the Pats for something everybody is doing. Maybe not.

But if it were the Houston Texans, they'd shrug, move on, and hope that nothing more happens the day they actually become a good team.

It's a pretty human reaction... think about the Steelers in 2002 (?) saying "that's why we went to the super bowl last year," apparently unaware they'd lost to the Pats in 2001... think about Faiders fans so pissed off about the "tuck" game... think about the disChargers whining all the way through the following weekend, while our team was playing football, evidently unaware that close plus more talent doesn't get you the W. Think about Polian turning up the heat in the dome (and yes, banning cameras from the field...) Think about him complaining until there was a "point of emphasis" in 2005.

These guys are tired of losing to us.

But a crack appears, and they are all in line to say "yeah that's why we lost to them too!" Same thing happened to me last year man! Yeah those Patriots, they were pulling that *** on all of us! Why the noive!

Like I say, a pretty human reaction... ohhhhh THAT's how I got fired when I was such a good offensive coordinator, he was cheating! Ohhhhh THAT's why my team-which-cant-lose-on-paper just lost to these guys... etc.

It's hard to prove or disprove.but it's the closest thing to do-overs you get in the NFL.

Why the hate? Come on. The hate was there... this just gives them the belief that they really shouldn't have lost all those times to us.

PFnV

Lotta text but a simple answer:

The public hates winners of all sports that are:

1) arrogant (instead of appropriately confident)
2) dishonest (damaging the whole sport - then play "victim" when caught)
3) disrespectful to their opponents (all teams do it a little -some off the chart)

And they embrace the opposites - You do the math for the Pats!

....Why the hate? Come on. The hate was there... this just gives them the belief that they really shouldn't have lost all those times to us.

PFnV
Very true.
I bet you won't hear a peep from any head coach about this...just whining from the dumb jocks who still can't get over their last beating.
And I bet you won't hear a peep from the Colts...especially Manning. Last thing they want is to give the Pats bulletin board material. The Chargers can't help themselves. They're chokers and are worse this year than last.

I can't wait for this weekend!

3) disrespectful to their opponents (all teams do it a little -some off the chart)

How the hell do you see arrogance? Who on the Pats has ever said anything arrogant? Just because the media and Patsfans think they're the best team in the league and has them winning the SB? When have they been disrespectful of their opponents? If anything, they give their inferior opponents too much respect.
Damaging the whole sport? WTF are you talking about? Simma down now!

What? Arrogant? How?

Dishonest? Really. How is that? Nothing proven yet...all speculation.

Disrespectful? Gee, you may want to read my post again. How are they disrespectful? By celebrating after the team that said they were going to the Super Bowl got beat in their own house. It is jealousy...apparently you have it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. No one said any of this until last year. Where was the supposed arrogance in '03 when they won their last 15 (or whatever # it was) games and the title? Where was the supposed disrespect in '04 when they were defending champs yet building up every opponent?

This all just suddenly popped up last year, and it's revisionist to apply any of it to '01-'05.

Part of it is that Brady didn’t put in his dues like Elway and Manning

Part of it is the “Tuck Rule” Play

Part of it was there was no stars to root for

Part of it is that no one likes a dominant team (the Yankees, the Celtics, the Cowboys, the Raiders etc). These dominant teams caused rule changes Off field ones like the salary cap, the draft, and sideline cameras and on field ones like changes in how aggressive pass coverage can be. I bet that the competition committee has even debated how to eliminate the 3-4.

But most of it is people dislike BB. Always have. While others see rules as how to live by, BB sees them as how much can I bend them, without breaking them. And then he teaches his coaches and players the same.

In my opinion that is how it should be - especially if he is on my team

(Or if he is the CEO of a company that I have stock in)

Competition means beating the crap out of others. Take no prisoners Just win baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes