PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why The Gabriel TD Was So Important

Status
Not open for further replies.

skri65

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
It's not hidden secret that Brady hasn't had much confidence in his recievers. He's practically said that in his press conferences. Many of us have taken note of his lack of confidence in the WR's.

Brady was being pushed out of the pocket, and he threw out a prayer. That ball was a couple inches from being intercepted, and Gabriel came out of no where! Brady knew it was a bad ball, and his body language (yes, i said it) showed this. Yet FINALLY, his WR's showed up and bailed HIM out of trouble. Finally, he can rely on his WR's just as they can rely on him.

I hope Gabriels catch was the beginning of Brady's trust in our WR corps. I think it was, and I think its the beginning of a bright future ahead.

Gabe should have been used to that, it was almost a classic Raiders' panic toss. I'll enjoy checking it out again later.

I think they all played well....did anyone else think Reche could of squeezed a few more....or am I just being too hard on him?

Let's just say that on a spectrum from Grahambo to Troy, Reche was at neither extreme.

Va_Pats_Fan said:
I think they all played well....did anyone else think Reche could of squeezed a few more....or am I just being too hard on him?

You appear to be of similar mind as I am about him. Still waiting to form a solid opinion. Seems a little concerened about contact at times and will randomly miss a borderline catchable pass as if hearing footsteps.

So far I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because he shows flashes of promise, I hope he soon starts showing flashes of sacrifice.

Last edited:
Va_Pats_Fan said:
I don't know if he could have caught the end zone toss if he laid out more, that may have created an overthrow instead of a hands glance. Dierdoof :))) at least thought Tommy was off by an inch.

It was a difficult play to come back for the short pass on the sideline, but it was a play he should have made.

We can argue that he doesn't have the greatest hands, but more often than not he was the "open" guy Tommy found, so progress there.

Box_O_Rocks said:
We can argue that he doesn't have the greatest hands, but more often than not he was the "open" guy Tommy found, so progress there.

Reche's catches don't go for many yards, but he makes them count. The majority of his catches this season have been for 1st downs.

Gabriels' TD catch was more like an interception. He picked it off from going to the DB. Insanely smart catch.

TB was asked in the post game PC about it and he said you can look at it either way: either he had trust in his wideouts or he just threw a bad ball--his "body language" or what i read of it would indicate he was leaning towards him throwing a ball that shouldn't have been thrown---but he wouldn't take away any trust he has in them.

I missed the begining of the PC, they were talking about a TB injury--what was it?????? All TB said is he would be fine for next week.

thanks

I've been saying for a couple weeks that Brady is just gonna have to take a couple chances and 'wing' a few passes until all his wide-outs are on the same page. I'm glad he just stuck it in there to Gabriel instead of being tenative. Maybe it does increase the likelihood of a pick, but success breeds success, and completing some bold passes is the first step in getting on the same page with each other. Now Gabriel has an idea of where Brady might toss it under pressure. Just like Givens made a great play on the ball in the Denver game they won with the intentional safety. Givens was able to adjust to a ball thrown on the opposite side than what was planned, and we all call it a brilliant game winning play. In reality, it was Givens knowing what Brady would do if he couldn't complete the play correctly. That's what Gabriel needs to learn as well.

It's a start, something to build on. I'm glad Brady didn't just throw it in the dirt again, even at the risk of an interception. They will need a couple more hairball passes before the season is over, I believe.

Cadwells first down where TB under threw and cadwell divied back wards and saved his day .Along with the gaberial TD must be increasing tom`s confidence.

He was more willing it to throw it out their today.Jackson dropped a dumpoff and that was hard and he had a typical rookie day for sure.troy brown came in for low catch count .

waiting to see the new guy out their but with a few more games to work on this i am sure by playoff our WR going to be ready.

Last edited:
I think you're reading too much into the one td pass. there were a number of throws that showed improvement on the passing game. The one thing I wonder is what Brady was thinking after Gabriel caught the td. It seemed like patting his helmet he was thinking he got away with one.

I think you're reading too much into the one td pass. there were a number of throws that showed improvement on the passing game. The one thing I wonder is what Brady was thinking after Gabriel caught the td. It seemed like patting his helmet he was thinking he got away with one.

Last edited:
Brady/Gabriel and Jackson had 2 long plays from scrimmage today.

Would I like more? Sure - but those two plays - especially the TD - have put opposing DC's on notice that they collapse their D at their own peril.

We've had NOTHING in the way of a deep threat for weeks on end. This we had SOMETHING and that's a major step int he right direction.

In terms of Caldwell, 5 receptions with 4 yard average suggests to me that they've had it with his poor route running - he's simply and outlet pass at this point and I expect they were hoping he'd be able to get more yards after the catch but it didn't work out.

Tough to say whether that's Caldwell's fault (though certainly his fault if he's not given the team confidence in his route running) - though guys like Faulk are much better outlet receivers than Caldwell.

I think we all like to hope today was the beginning of the wideouts being "on the same page" as Brady, and the Gabriel catch put the exclamation point on it. Of course it could be a bright spot in the middle of darkness by next week, but I'm basically an optimist. I'm another guy making too much of that Gabriel catch, but all we have heard about lately is how they're lacking in chemistry and needed to gel. Well, I see it coming along (and how about Chad's contribution in his debut?)

2 or 3 more weeks of similar + steadily improving efforts will go a long way to solidifying this opinion of course...

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes