PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Dolphins picked QB John Beck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Beck as a QB, even though he is 26 years old already. I thought he threw the ball with som egood heat and he is accurate and has really nice touch on his passes.
I think Beck will pick up the Dolphins offense very quickly, but then he'll have to struggle with throwing into some pretty tight windows in the NFL.

The Dolphins could have done a lot worse in the second round then Beck.

I really like Beck as a QB, even though he is 26 years old already. I thought he threw the ball with som egood heat and he is accurate and has really nice touch on his passes.
I think Beck will pick up the Dolphins offense very quickly, but then he'll have to struggle with throwing into some pretty tight windows in the NFL.

The Dolphins could have done a lot worse in the second round then Beck.

Going into the draft i wanted either Beck or Quinn... So while i was miffed in the first round, after they picked beck i started to like the draft a lot more...

Watch out for lemon. He was in SD for 3 years. He knows cam's offense like it was nothing.... The whole rift between A.J. smith and Shottenheimer started when A.J. traded lemon to miami...

That's quite an impressive stat about his ball speed; I can just see it now, the guy can't throw deep, but wow, does he throw a fast football.

Funny, I remember twenty years ago when the Doofins actually had a good team.................

Where's Ballsack4ever, he usually chimes in of Doofin threads to enlighten all of us with his pearls of wisdom.

He's too busy at the moment over in the interleague forum wowing all of us showing pictures of all the babes he's been with and all of his sporting achievements............

Ginn was a horrible pick IMO.

Ofcourse that's your opinion, why on earth would Miami need offensive weapons, when they've had such little success on offense the last 5 or 6 years? I would think Ginn and Booker give Miami a little more of an ability to score given then speed and agility and the versatility. Miami will not be the same inept offense they've been, Cam is adding weapons and teams won't face the same ol boring simpleton offense of the past several years.

Ginn is about 85% at the moment, no guarantee he will be 100% anytime soon.

You've got some terrific doctors down there in Doofinland, passing on Brees over washeduppepper and drafting an injured player with a bad wheel. The beat goes on in Doofinland...................

I have no problem drafting a QB in the second round. Great value and you still have the #9 pick.

Their screwup is wasting #9 on a receiver with all the holes they have.

It will be forgotten, though. they should be picking in the top ten every year in the conceivable future.

What else were they going to get? Levi Brown and Joe Thomas were both gone and this team desperatly needed speed on offense. I don't see why that pick ws so crazy. Ginn was the highest player on the Dolphins' board and had they not selected him, Houston would've at number 10.

That's quite an impressive stat about his ball speed; I can just see it now, the guy can't throw deep, but wow, does he throw a fast football.

Funny, I remember twenty years ago when the Doofins actually had a good team.................

Saying he can't throw the long ball is a myth. He was in a pass happy offense with a lot of short to intermediate passes that didn't show off his arm. I just got done listening to an interview where he said he can kneel on the 47 and throw a ball through the uprights....furthermore i remember hearing about a certain patrior QB who struggled mightily with the long ball for a while...Ever hear of a guy named brady? The point is that there is a big transition to the pro's, and a lot of times people have the skills but they can;t bring them together. Does beck have the skills? yes. Can he bring them together?...way to early to tell...

Last edited:
I - and I assume most Dolphin fans - are going to take a wait and see approach with Beck.

But he was available in the 2nd round for a reason - and Quinn was not available in the 2nd round for a reason... so how this pick is perceived will also depend on how Quinn does.

Now if the Dolphins had taken Ginn and then maneuvered to jump up to grab Quinn as well the way the Browns did people would probably be quite impressed.

Who knows - they might even be able to work a trade for a disgruntled McNabb if they play their cards right - it'd just be yet another few draft picks wasted on a QB but that one might actually work out for a change.

What else were they going to get? Levi Brown and Joe Thomas were both gone and this team desperatly needed speed on offense. I don't see why that pick ws so crazy. Ginn was the highest player on the Dolphins' board and had they not selected him, Houston would've at number 10.
Maybe Brady Quinn to see if it fixes the constant Dolphin QB disaster. Beck might turn out to be good and Ginn isnt a bad player but we'll see if it comes back to bite the Fins in the ass.

Maybe Brady Quinn to see if it fixes the constant Dolphin QB disaster. Beck might turn out to be good and Ginn isnt a bad player but we'll see if it comes back to bite the Fins in the ass.

I happen to applaud Cam and Randy for doing what teams rarely do in the draft, and took the BPA. They drafted in terms of their board, not need.

I'm no personnel expert, but three of the next 4 picks were DT, DE and ILB.

Not that I want the rest of the league to catch on, but did you notice the patriots picked up 2 former #1's and 2 former #2's at receiver, in their prime, (yes Moss has plenty of tread left in those tires).

I hope Ginn stays healthy and maybe we can pick him up for a conditional 7th in a few years.:D

ESPN did a segment on Saban and how he's handling the Tide. Apparently he's creating quite a buzz down there. They interviewed a couple of the players-QB and 1-2 others who all shared the same reaction which was,that they were in nowhere near the physical shape they thought they were lol.
Saban's also concentrating heavily on the 4th qtr drills. Predictions are that AL's going to surprise this year;talk of them becoming dominant again.

EDIT: I just threw that out there,this seemed a good thread to post it under.

Last edited:
ESPN did a segment on Saban and how he's handling the Tide. Apparently he's creating quite a buzz down there. They interviewed a couple of the players-QB and 1-2 others who all shared the same reaction which was,that they were in nowhere near the physical shape they thought they were lol.
Saban's also concentrating heavily on the 4th qtr drills. Predictions are that AL's going to surprise this year;talk of them becoming dominant again.

I would expect nothing less from the coavh who Fin fans said was as good as Belichick (at least when he was hired.)

I would expect nothing less from the coavh who Fin fans said was as good as Belichick (at least when he was hired.)

They had some great clips of him during practice too. If it's on again it's probably worth catching.
We could see some NFL-ready players come out of Alabama. I'm glad for him-I wish him success.

They had some great clips of him during practice too. If it's on again it's probably worth catching.
We could see some NFL-ready players come out of Alabama. I'm glad for him-I wish him success.

I saw a little bit of the clips and I noticed he was wearing the same goofy straw hat that he wore at his first mini camp with the Fins.

I saw a little bit of the clips and I noticed he was wearing the same goofy straw hat that he wore at his first mini camp with the Fins.

LOL yes,and he's yelling "toughen upppp!!" while he's wearing it.

I'm no personnel expert, but three of the next 4 picks were DT, DE and ILB.

Not that I want the rest of the league to catch on, but did you notice the patriots picked up 2 former #1's and 2 former #2's at receiver, in their prime, (yes Moss has plenty of tread left in those tires).

I hope Ginn stays healthy and maybe we can pick him up for a conditional 7th in a few years.:D

I hope that he's out of the league in a few years because he's frail like a china doll. :D

Saban's a great college coach but had not clue when it came to the NFL game. He simply just did not get free agency at all. I also hate the way he handled taking the job. I wouldn't have a problem with him if he admited interest and actully gave the owner and the players a heads up that he was leaving.

The Dolphins chose John Beck because they felt that Quinn was not worth a top ten pick. They chose Beck because they did not feel that Quinn was worth a top 20 pick either. They chose John Beck because he was rated just above Quinn on our draft board. Beck told his local paper that the dolphins tried trading up for him three different occasions in the 20's to jump up and grab him. Imagine if we traded up to grab Beck the pick before Quinn went to CLE. Kiper would have lost it on national tv huh?We tried to do just that. We chose Beck over Quinn, and lets get that clear. I think that is quite a statement with how we felt in regards to Beck and Quinn if you ask me.

By the way, welcome Patriot fans!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back