Not open for further replies.

thechris

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Mueller felt lucky to get QB Beck

By Greg A. Bedard
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

DAVIE — So this is how an NFL team chooses its quarterback of the future.

John Beck calls out formations and plays as he runs a two-minute drill against a defense of mountain air.

A couple of middle-aged veterans, huffing and puffing, take their positions to fill out the offense.

Beck tells the halfback to shift in order to pick up the blitz. Randy Mueller - yes, the Dolphins' general manager - obliges.

The H-back also has to be told where to go. Dolphins coach Cam Cameron quickly moves into position as though his old basketball coach, Bobby Knight, had barked an order at him.

Ninety seconds later, the mock drive is complete. Beck delivers his team of misfits into the end zone.

Not once did he throw to Mueller or Cameron.

Smart move.

"I don't think my Achilles' could have handled it," Mueller said Tuesday at the Dolphins' training facility.

Due in large part to Beck's performance during that private workout at BYU, the Dolphins positioned themselves to scoop him up when he was available with the 40th pick during last weekend's NFL Draft.

"He's a football junkie," Mueller said. "He studies it. He's going to do a lot of things on his own. That was apparent. And very impressive."

The Dolphins left Provo, Utah, so confident in Beck that they decided they could bypass former Notre Dame standout Brady Quinn, whom they had rated second among quarterbacks on their draft board behind JaMarcus Russell. Quinn and Beck were so closely rated by the Dolphins that they felt the better value was Beck in Round 2.

Mueller realized he was taking a huge risk. Beck could have been snapped up before Miami used the 40th selection.

"We were very, very worried," Mueller said. "Probably spent more energy on the top of the second round than top of the first round, in planning, making deals. We knew a couple teams around us in Round 2 needed quarterbacks and we were worried sick about that. But we had to have been lucky. And we were lucky."

Trent Edwards of Stanford, who was slightly behind Beck on the Dolphins' board, was Miami's fallback position. But drafting Beck was the second part of the plan to inject life into the Dolphins' offense.

Taking Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. - despite his sprained left foot - was the first part.

The plan had to be sold to owner Wayne Huizenga and team President Bryan Wiedmeier. But Mueller and Cameron told their bosses they had no intention of taking Quinn, despite the demand of the South Florida public that they do just that.

The coach and GM simply believed that the combination of Ginn and Beck would trump any other they could find if they selected Quinn at No. 9.

"We wanted special at nine. Something really special," Mueller said. "And it didn't take us long to find it or figure out that Teddy would bring something special at a giant position of need for us. Getting Teddy at No. 9 and John Beck when we got him, together that made a lot of sense to us.

And he said it still does - despite Cameron being booed off the stage at the team's draft party Saturday, an embarrassment that Huizenga watched stoically before it was replayed on national TV sports shows.

Quinn told ESPN.com that he "felt pretty misled" by a couple of teams. He didn't name the Dolphins. But Quinn's expression when Ginn's name was announced said it all.

"We never mislead anybody," Mueller said. "I think everybody had kind of assumed certain things, but they surely didn't get it from us. I like Brady Quinn. He's a great kid."

But not the right quarterback for the Dolphins. He turned out to be the guy who led a couple of has-beens and other misfits on an 80-yard scoring drive in 90 seconds. And wasn't afraid to bark at his would-be bosses to get it done.

"I was thinking, 'If he can get us to move like this, imagine what he could do with real players.' " Mueller said. "The guy is a born leader with all the tools. That's what we wanted."

Boy do I love the Dolphins!

A lot of spin going on in the dolphins camp. Seeing the reaction of the dolphin fans on draft pick, booing the choice, has a lot to do with this.

"Why the Dolphins picked John Beck"

Because if their second round pick rolled around and they didn't take him the fans would have torn down the stadium.

"Why the Dolphins picked John Beck"

Because if their second round pick rolled around and they didn't take him the fans would have torn down the stadium.

That's the best case scenario Cameron and Mueller could've hoped for. Haha!

Great story!
Too bad Greg Bedard is too good
a reporter to ever work in Boston.

The prospect barking the GM and HC into adjustments - that's a precious picture.

I suppose this does explain not taking Quinn.
But picking Ginn at 9 ?
I was SO TICKLED when Roger read out that selection!

I don't see why we shouldn't take this story more or less at face value.

Now, for competitive reasons I emphatically hope these two young men do NOT excel at pro football.

But I don't see what's wrong or unbelievable about the story. And give how far Quinn fell in the draft, a lot of other teams seem to have shared the Dolphins' lack of enthusiasm about him. That may not be strong evidence the Fins are CORRECT, but it is actually strong evidence supporting the claim that they didn't love him much either.

Great story!

The prospect barking the GM and HC into adjustments - that's a precious picture.

I suppose this does explain not taking Quinn.
Except for the point Mel Kiper made, "the Fins had no way of knowing Beck was going to be available with the 40th pick, when they passed on Quinn at #9."
But picking Ginn at 9 ?
I was SO TICKLED when Roger read out that selection!

Beck was a great pick IMO. The best thing that happened to the Doofins in the off-season was the Chiefs inexplicable refusal to get what they could for over-the-hill and washed up Trent Green.

Ginn was a horrible pick IMO.

shouldn't this thread be in the visiting locker room ?

That's the best case scenario Cameron and Mueller could've hoped for. Haha!

Didn't you promise never to post here again if the Pats beat the Dolphins for the AFCE last year?

Great story!

It actually makes sense, though. Imagine working out the Tom Brady that just got out of Michigan. Which would have given you the better information: Having him do a few throwing and running drills, or putting him through a simulation huddle?

The reason the Fins take Beck? Damage control. Their pick of Ginn Jr. over the franchise QB was so unpopular their GM got booed off the stage. They knew they HAD to take a QB in round 2, whether it was Beck or Edwards or Michael Bishop. Otherwise the blood would have run in the streets of Miami and someone was gonna lose their job. :D If Quinn becomes a star and Beck a flop, someone will STILL lose their job by the end of this year.

Last edited:
Great, they pick a QB who can't throw deep and a WR who can't run deep because he has a bum ankle; the beat goes on in doofinland..............

Beck will do fine if the Phins sit him a year. Who they'll sit him for is anybody's guess at this point.

Last edited:
I don't see why we shouldn't take this story more or less at face value.

Now, for competitive reasons I emphatically hope these two young men do NOT excel at pro football.

But I don't see what's wrong or unbelievable about the story. And give how far Quinn fell in the draft, a lot of other teams seem to have shared the Dolphins' lack of enthusiasm about him. That may not be strong evidence the Fins are CORRECT, but it is actually strong evidence supporting the claim that they didn't love him much either.

I agree with you. I don’t like Ginn as a pick but Quinn did nothing for me. His play in the big games was poor and that says volumes to me. I hope that Miami is just bad enough to lose to the Patriots 2x per year and then split with the Bills and Jets.

Great, they pick a QB who can't throw deep and a WR who can't run deep because he has a bum ankle; the beat goes on in doofinland..............

Ha ha ha ha...LOL....early reports that I have read on Beck in mini camp is that he fumbled several snaps and underthrew alot of receivers.....good ole' doofins.....Wanny lives on in Cam Cameron.......beautiful.....

Funny..i remember beck having the second highest ball speed rating at the combine...

Beck will do fine if the Phins sit him a year. Who they'll sit him for is anybody's guess at this point.

Trent green will be the starter opening day...right it down. Whenever the chiefs decide to cut him he will sign as he already has a contract worked out. He told the media on monday that he already knows 80-90% of the offense and he just needs time to sync up with his receivers.

I am personally a HUGE fan of sitting Beck for a year.

I have no problem drafting a QB in the second round. Great value and you still have the #9 pick.

Their screwup is wasting #9 on a receiver with all the holes they have.

It will be forgotten, though. they should be picking in the top ten every year in the conceivable future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey