PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Costly Jump Up in the Seventh for a Developmental OT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Thomas Welch of Vandy (#208) can make the team and produces over the years more than I think a more polished, proven player in Iowa's Kyle Calloway, taken at #216 by the Bills. Calloway more than held his own, for example, against Jarod Odrick for two years, as the Hawkeyes handled Penn State's D-line.

Here's Pete Prisco's look at the 7th round: Grades: 2010 NFL Draft Round 7 - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

He gave us a C and a B+ for the Bills. I think those grades are justified right now at this point.

I think this a little example of the Patriots getting too cute with the draft. They like to try and show off their vaunted college scouting team. yeah, Welch might be slightly more athletic, but Calloway's been succeeding in the trenches longer. Player Bio: Kyle Calloway - IOWA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Obviously because they liked him. We had three untradable 7s later and a roster that's going to have a lot of tough cuts, might as well get a guy you like - especially if Dante tells you to.

They just graded him much higher then where he was selected so the trade to them was a no-brainer. Reminds me of the Slater trade a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see if Thomas Welch of Vandy (#208) can make the team and produces over the years more than I think a more polished, proven player in Iowa's Kyle Calloway, taken at #216 by the Bills. Calloway more than held his own, for example, against Jarod Odrick for two years, as the Hawkeyes handled Penn State's D-line.

Here's Pete Prisco's look at the 7th round: Grades: 2010 NFL Draft Round 7 - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

He gave us a C and a B+ for the Bills. I think those grades are justified right now at this point.

I think this a little example of the Patriots getting too cute with the draft. They like to try and show off their vaunted college scouting team. yeah, Welch might be slightly more athletic, but Calloway's been succeeding in the trenches longer. Player Bio: Kyle Calloway - IOWA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Those grades are justified based on the selection of a single 7th round pick?? Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

I mean really, are you serious?! Any prospect taken in the 7th round has borderline chances of making it in the NFL. Giving the Pats a worse draft grade based on an inconsequential 7th round selection is the FAIL logic.

Last edited:
BB made it sound like in his press conference yesterday that the 6th round pick came down to Larsen and Welch. They decided get both...

I don't really see what it so costly about moving two late 7th rounders for a high 7th in order to secure a player you want...

"Costly"? ....when the OT needy Bills are lurking right behind you? They got 12 guys from this draft. In Webster's online Dictionary, under "nitpick", they should link directly to this thread. Who, in the picks that followed, did they miss out on?

I completely, whole-heartedly agree.

Bill would've been better-served using that pick instead on pass-rushers like George Selvie, Willie Young, Lindsey Witten or Brandon Lang; WRs like Blair White, Scott Long or Chris McGaha; RBs like Lonyae Miller or Andre Dixon; H-Backs like Dorin ****erson or Jameson Konz; ILBs like Mike McLaughlin or Jamar Cheney; 5-Techniques like CJ Wilson or Doug Worthington; CBs like SydQuan Thompson, Donovan Warren, AJ Jefferson or David Pender; OTs like Selvish Capers, Tony Washington or Kyle Calloway; or even FBs like Rashawn Jackson or Manase Tonga.

I completely, whole-heartedly agree.

Bill would've been better-served using that pick instead on pass-rushers like George Selvie, Willie Young, Lindsey Witten or Brandon Lang; WRs like Blair White, Scott Long or Chris McGaha; RBs like Lonyae Miller or Andre Dixon; H-Backs like Dorin ****erson or Jameson Konz; ILBs like Mike McLaughlin or Jamar Cheney; 5-Techniques like CJ Wilson or Doug Worthington; CBs like SydQuan Thompson, Donovan Warren, AJ Jefferson or David Pender; OTs like Selvish Capers, Tony Washington or Kyle Calloway; or even FBs like Rashawn Jackson or Manase Tonga.

Too bad BB doesn't discuss what could have been, should have, might have been. Actually, the only way you could really appreciate why BB made the decisions he made was if you were a fly on the wall of the war room witnessing how they executed their pre draft plans -- how it changed based on what other teams did etc.

I love it! Prisco gives grades on every selection. Most of these 6th and 7th round picks he's probably never even seen play and knows nothing about them.

Then there this gem - he gave the Panthers an F+ in the 6th round. What the hell is an F+? It's not even a real grade!

On a more serious note, I understand the trade up - 12 pick is more than necessary as it is. But why take another OL? I would have preferred to see one of these small school DE/OLB conversion projects like this kid Chris McCoy that the Dolphins drafted or this kid Dane Fletcher who wasn't guaranteed to want to sign with us as a UDFA.

I love it! Prisco gives grades on every selection. Most of these 6th and 7th round picks he's probably never even seen play and knows nothing about them.

Then there this gem - he gave the Panthers an F+ in the 6th round. What the hell is an F+? It's not even a real grade!

On a more serious note, I understand the trade up - 12 pick is more than necessary as it is. But why take another OL? I would have preferred to see one of these small school DE/OLB conversion projects like this kid Chris McCoy that the Dolphins drafted or this kid Dane Fletcher who wasn't guaranteed to want to sign with us as a UDFA.

By that logic, why didn't they draft Brian Hoyer last year? Or Gary Guyton two years ago?

By that logic, why didn't they draft Brian Hoyer last year? Or Gary Guyton two years ago?

My point is that I would have drafted more based on need in that situation. And the need for a pass rusher/OLB is higher that for an OT. Even if the OT is more highly rated - both are most likely developmental players.

They got an interior guy and also wanted a tackle. What's the big deal. They had yet to draft any oline competition until the 6th. As for Iowa's Kyle Calloway; this link says that their line is so well coached and they all work together as a unit that it is hard to scout each guy. Same reason, in part, that Bulaga slid a little. As for OLB/ pass rusher. We signed one as a UDFA. He has an equal chance as a 7th rounder to make the team.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Walkthrough: Drive-By Draftnik

Pete Prisco, football expert...it lacks something.

Try this:
1) Go to the 4th round grades
2) Scroll down to the Colts pick at #129
3) Click on his name and see his ranking at #336 (UDFA)
4) Search around the Internet on him (or try to) and see unanimous UDFA estimates
5) See Prisco's grade of B- for the Colts pick
6) See Prisco's lower grades for higher ranked OG's taken later in the draft
7) Tell me why Prisco's grades should be taken seriously

Candidate for the "Dante Scarnecchia School for Offensive Linemen".. shows the confidence in Dante to develop these "raw" players..

Prisco is just miserable (read his twitter posts someday; sour dude). HUGE Colts bias. Look at this:

No. 62: Patriots select: Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
Analysis: Of all the Patriots pick, this one is the one I like the least. I just don't think he runs well enough. At least in their 3-4 scheme, they can cover him up some. C+

No. 63: Colts select: Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa
Analysis: He is a fundamentally sound linebacker who has a nose for the football. He doesn't run that well, but Bill Polian likes Big Ten players. He made a lot of tackles at Iowa. B-

Last edited:
Candidate for the "Dante Scarnecchia School for Offensive Linemen".. shows the confidence in Dante to develop these "raw" players..

Welch started out last year playing great football and really looked more like a third or fourth round pick. But then he hurt his ankle. But no draft evaluators gave him props for playing through it and finishing the last six games basically on one leg.

If he comes to camp healthy and playing like he did early last season. He will pass Levoir or the depth chart and may challenge Kazcur for the swing tackle position.

Welch is great value in the seventh and could shock people if he is healthy.

The jump up doesn't bother me one iota. They had FIVE late 7th round picks, why not use 2 of them to jump to the head of the round?

The position doesn't bother me either.

But I'm still trying to get sold on Thomas Welch, a short-armed tackle who's not especially mobile, despite his TE background. He's a right-side only guy, and awfully tall to try at guard.

(Though I was fascinated to read that Welch was a high school quarterback! When was the last time you saw an NFL offensive lineman who started off as a QB?)

Welch started out last year playing great football and really looked more like a third or fourth round pick. But then he hurt his ankle. But no draft evaluators gave him props for playing through it and finishing the last six games basically on one leg.

If he comes to camp healthy and playing like he did early last season. He will pass Levoir or the depth chart and may challenge Kazcur for the swing tackle position.

Welch is great value in the seventh and could shock people if he is healthy.

Didn't see this before I started writing...glad to hear the positive view from up close, Ochmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes