PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Colts are great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, insightful post as usual, Mo. Keep bringing it...

One interesting thing to think about is: Colts have had a tilted, offense-heavy spending strategy. Defense has been light, with fillins/rookies as you say. Pats have been more balanced across the board. This year, 2007, they have taken advantage, like in Moneyball or the stock market, of "special circumstances", with Moss/Stallworth contracts, to build a Colts-like offense without sacrificing the other pieces, and now, for oen year anyway, we may have built a football engine unlike anything seen in the hard-cap era. But unless the Patriots "winning mystique" is a sustainable advantage, meaning they can attract talent at below market cap prices, it may regress to a smaller advantage like in other years.

QUOTE=MoLewisrocks;574515]We run a much more complex defense, which is why BB prefers veteran presence however much less "cost effective", and have had a lot more success running it than Indy has had running theirs - which at the end of the day is what counts. They don't award Lombardis for developing your own talent. Besides which, Indy lets much of it go once the I'm developed bill comes due. The team Bill Polian constructed needed more than HFA, as the Steelers proved in 2005, they needed some matchup breaks to get their lone ring in 9 years with Peyton and Polian and 5 years with St. Dungy.

Right now they have 14 players on their roster who never took an NFL snap prior to this season including all 9 players they drafted in 2007. It's not something they were thrilled to do, it's what they had to do in part because of the way their roster is compensated/constructed and in part because Polian hasn't had much success with veteran acquisitions. Simon cost him $13M for 13 games and is still on the cap. They traded a 2007 2nd rounder for Booger McFarland in 2006 and he landed on IR this August at a cap cost of $5.5M.

We have 6 players on our roster with cap hits in excess of $4M. The Colts have 11. We have 21 players with cap hits in excess of $2M (our upper middle class so to speak). The Colts have 9. We have a handful of players on our roster making league minimum salaries. They have a bundle. If they again get matched up in the playoffs against teams that can't mount any kind of sustained offense or whose defense is below average or severaly impacted by illness or injury when they meet, then the model will likely work just fine once again. If on the other hand they face a matchup with an offense that can put up some points combined with a defense that can sustain physically disrupting their offense, they are back to bridesmaids. There is probably not an NFC team they couldn't handle. There are a couple in the AFC they would likely find themselves in a dog fight to get past. Pittsburgh, who beat them at home in the 2005 AFCC, NE who had them on the ropes through the first half in the 2006 AFCC before fatigue and the flu and a second tier receiving corps took it's toll, and SD if they do really get their heads on straight and play up to their paper talent.

They don't have a lot of battle tested depth. Their prior depth stepped up this season to assume starter roles when their home grown predecessors were allowed to walk. Addai is backed up by a kid from the CFL (another non draftee I guess), but I'm not sure they have a 3rd or 4th let alone 5th RB option on the roster if the injury bug bites hard. Same with their depth all across the defense, which they have already had to dip into when their starting MLB went on IR. If one of the WR or Clark goes down, not sure what how much damage that offense can inflict. They have been relatively lucky, comparatively speaking, on the injury front for the last couple of seasons. They were able to cover for Stokley because Harrison, Wayne and Clark are durable and Gonzalez is now in place. They were able to manage Sanders to get the most from his limited availability by using him against us and shelving him facing a weak schedule until the playoffs. Quite a few of their key pieces including Sanders got dinged up in week 5 but the game was well in hand and they've had a bye to get better. Now they face three extremely physical defenses in a row, two on the road, so we'll see if their luck holds out. Only one of those teams legitimately has the offense to hang with them though.

BTW there isn't much room left to restructure the Manning and Harrison deals because of all their previous restructures (which along with backloading Freeney's extension almost entirely account for the excess they will roll over this year). Deals for others will be creaping into backloadedness too and have to begin to be pushed out as a result unless a cash costly extension is forthcoming for Manning. His cap numbers for the last 3 years of his deal are $18-21M, with a little something already sitting in the to be voided years of that original 9 year but really a 7 year deal. And Sanders is up in 2008 (I believe if he voids 2009) and Clark is up shortly thereafter.

And lets not forget, Polian's system failed to meet the ultimate test until 5 years into an experiment to see if Tony Dungy could do more with less if they could just get favorable playoff and SB matchups. In the regular season in a weak division, he's da balls. ;)

No system is perfect. I still prefer ours to theirs over the long haul.[/QUOTE]

In the first half of the Dallas game, you passed roughly 27 times, ran 10, and were sacked twice. Pretty much a 3:1 ratio. My guess is the previous contests, while not identical, might show a disproportionate number of passes in the first half, agree??:bricks:
Hey moron, do you understand the concept of a game plan?

Hey moron, do you understand the concept of a game plan?
The original poster made a point out of calling me out when I said NE was "pass happy". They chose to site the run/pass numbers. I merely pointed out the reason WHY they are balanced. I think most Fball people here realize how this fact has come to be. It's not a problem now, or course, and certainly, if a game plan calls for it, then so be it (I.E. the Minnesota game of last season). But don't be fooled into thinking you have a balanced attack. Currently, it is not, as some have come to point out in other threads.

Thanks Mr. Tippett,

Your Friend in Football

HBM

The original poster made a point out of calling me out when I said NE was "pass happy". They chose to site the run/pass numbers. I merely pointed out the reason WHY they are balanced. I think most Fball people here realize how this fact has come to be. It's not a problem now, or course, and certainly, if a game plan calls for it, then so be it (I.E. the Minnesota game of last season). But don't be fooled into thinking you have a balanced attack. Currently, it is not, as some have come to point out in other threads.

Thanks Mr. Tippett,

Your Friend in Football

HBM

I took you off ignore because I thought that you were turning a corner, but you are rapidly making a case to go back there again.

Your post is entirely inaccurate. You continue to spout this garbage, but you have yet to respond to my post that counters your argument with actual numbers. I will put post from two threads here and I would like you to logically respond to them.

This is true of most teams. While you will hear "analysts" say things like, "you need to establish the run" or "you run to set up the pass" the vast majority of teams - and this most certainly includes the Colts - pass to score and run to finish.

It is what it is.

BTW, I just looked up the PbP of Indy's NO and TB games. Against NO they had a P/R ratio of 26/22 through three quarters and 4/6 in the 4th. Against TB is was 35/30 through 3 quarters and 2/11 in the 4th. It was also 25/16 at halftime.

Indy is just as "pass happy" as you claim NE to be.

Not at all. Against Buffalo NE had a P/R ration at halftime of 13/21

Against Cleveland it was 23/20 at halftime.

Dallas specifically schemed to take away the run. It was foolish to continue to run at a brick wall and, frankly, Indy would have done the same thing. It was the right thing to do.

Wait a minute, maybe they are even more so.

Care to explain this one? NE is 7th in rushing yards per game even after the Dallas game. How is that "wholly [un]impressive" when they are .3 ypg less than Indy? Is Indy wholly unimpressive as well?

I already refuted your claim earlier that NE passes more often than Indy in the early part of games. I will now go through and compare NE's rushing totals vs. Indy's comparative to who they played.

Edit:

Indy's opponents have allowed an average of 118.7/game while Indy has rushed for 142. 23.3 better than standard opposition.

NE's opponents have allowed an average of 121.1/game while Indy has rushed for 141.7. 20.6 better than standard opposition.

Wholly unimpressive indeed. :rolleyes:

Where is this one dimensional offense again?

Anyone? Beuller?

{Whistling while tapping feet}

Hello?

Is anyone there?

Thanks Mr. Tippett,

Your Friend in Football

HBM
Illiterate fool,

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Category/10_Power_Rankings.html

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Patriots don’t run the ball? Guess that’s why they’re leading the league in most rushing yards on 1st and 10 (457). Balanced New England has attempted 204 passes and 202 rushes this year

The Cold Hard Football Facts disprove your nonsense once again.

Illiterate fool,

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Category/10_Power_Rankings.html

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Patriots don’t run the ball? Guess that’s why they’re leading the league in most rushing yards on 1st and 10 (457). Balanced New England has attempted 204 passes and 202 rushes this year

The Cold Hard Football Facts disprove your nonsense once again.

I already counted his contention far better than CHFF did. The ball is in HBM's court but he appears to have gone home.

I already counted his contention far better than CHFF did. The ball is in HBM's court but he appears to have gone home.
He Ban Me is one of the biggest tools on the New England Patriots message board. It's hilarious that the New England Patriots thru six games has suffered at least twice as many games lost to offensive starters than the Colts offensive starters, yet the Patriots offense is more productive than the Colts offense.

He Ban Me is one of the biggest tools on the New England Patriots message board. It's hilarious that the New England Patriots thru six games has suffered at least twice as many games lost to offensive starters than the Colts offensive starters, yet the Patriots offense is more productive than the Colts offense.

The Colts have played the #6, 12, 16, 18, and 22 overall defenses.

The Patriots have played the # 11, 14, 28, 30, 31,AND 32 overall defenses

That pretty much says it all right there, Running up the score also helps that out a lot

That pretty much says it all right there, Running up the score also helps that out a lot
The Patriots do not decide their opponents for the 2007 NFL season. The Patriots have met the challenge for the first six games of the season. Meanwhile, the Colts have yet to play an offensive juggernaut this season.

Last edited:
The Patriots do not decide their opponents for the 2007 NFL season. The Patriots have met the challenge for the first six games of the season. Meanwhile, the Colts have yet to play an offensive juggernaut this season.

I wasn't saying that the Patriots decided the opponent, i was saying for the comment that you made about offensive production that maybe this particular stat could explain why the Patriots are putting up points like they are. Tell me what the Colts not playing a offensive juggernaut has to do with you trying to tout the fact that the Patriots are scoring more points when they have clearly faced inferior defenses and have been running up the score???? Nice try to turn my words around though

I wasn't saying that the Patriots decided the opponent, i was saying for the comment that you made about offensive production that maybe this particular stat could explain why the Patriots are putting up points like they are. Tell me what the Colts not playing a offensive juggernaut has to do with you trying to tout the fact that the Patriots are scoring more points when they have clearly faced inferior defenses and have been running up the score???? Nice try to turn my words around though
My point is, since the Colts have not been challenged offensively to date, the Colts defense is fraudulent.

My prior post takes that into consideration. Stop with the useless banter and discuss what I said above. If you have no point, just don't post. Or, better yet, say, "Gee. I guess I was wrong."

Go ahead. Give it a try.

Last edited:
I took you off ignore because I thought that you were turning a corner, but you are rapidly making a case to go back there again.

Your post is entirely inaccurate. You continue to spout this garbage, but you have yet to respond to my post that counters your argument with actual numbers. I will put post from two threads here and I would like you to logically respond to them.

Indy is just as "pass happy" as you claim NE to be.

Wait a minute, maybe they are even more so.

Where is this one dimensional offense again?

Sorry O, wasn't avoiding you, I posted this is another thread:

PM has taken 7 knees, bump that average to 4.78 please. Looks like Brady has taken 3, so NE is 4.29. I'd say a half yard is a pretty big difference.

Let me put it this way. I feel like NE uses the running game to keep the defense honest, and the passing game to score points. 21 to 5 in the TD dept.
Colts actually use the run as part of their offense. 10 to 8 in the td dept. I think your numbers in the pass dept have risen the past few weeks, in part due to LM injury, but also because you can throw at will. Gme plans are a part of it, but you haven't faced a team like the run stuffing Vikes of last season, you have no reason to throw multiple times in succession.
All I know is that the gaudy numbers didn't work so well for the Colts a few years back, and as you know come playoff time, those ref don't like to throw those hankys. So, who knows what the opposition will be able to do to those route runners you have.

-------------------

I'm not sure why you are discounting the level of competition you have played, maybe I have missed a post in another thread. The defenses you have faced have been woeful. The Cowboys finally presented a challenge, and yeah, you ran into a brick wall. But you have to be able to break that wall down. Eventually, that 21 to 5, IMO, will come back to bite you. Maybe not, maybe no one will find a way to slow that pass game down, and it won't matter. But my guess is you'll be in a dog fight, and you'll need to be able to run it. When you meet up with defenses that can stop the run, you might be in a bit of trouble.

As far as volume of runs, that as we know is a silly argument, since IIRC, you guys have run more total offensive plays than anyone else. I still say MANY of your runs come in the second half, late in games, to help it appear balanced. I don't have time to review all the play by plays, but I'll look for myself soon enough. I really am not trying to get your goat. Tippett's? Yes, but not yours. I respect your team, and especially your QB. In the end, I don't think I'm saying anything that wouldn't be said about the Colts if our numbers were swapped.

Rescind all the cheating, back room dealing,and rules changing to fit HIS team's roster by the satanic and thoroughly reprehensible Bill "Beelzebub" Polian, and the Patriots beat the Geldings by six scores.

All I know is that the gaudy numbers didn't work so well for the Colts a few years back, and as you know come playoff time, those ref don't like to throw those hankys. So, who knows what the opposition will be able to do to those route runners you have.

nothing worked as Polian changed rule after rule for four years until he finally stripped defenses of all DEFENSE...just to benefit HIS Colts.How you can come and spout these ridiculous assertions like they are facts is mind-boggling considering YOUR GM has been the head of the NFL Rules Commitee for years. What the hell kind of conflict of interest is THAT??? You Colt morons love to call the Pats "cheats!"....jeezus K, YOU are the ORIGINALS.

Jumping in as a 3rd party fan. It's NE 3 -1 in SB's and NE is still in control. That's a fact.

That said, what the Colts and Playtex Manning did last year absolutely deserves kudos. The Colts have been locked in mortal kombat with NE for the last 4-5 years. We all know this. That the Colts finally got over the hump by going THRU NE and in doing so, coming back from a 20 point deficit in the 2nd half is nothing short of remarkable. My hat goes off to them! It takes a lot of moxie to do what the Colts did to NE in the playoffs last year. Especially considering history. The Colts had many reasons to give it up after the 1st half last AFCC. But they didn't and the rest is history. Maybe it's cos they had been owning NE for a time leading up to that game?

In any case I'm gonna have my popcorn out when you guys meet. :)

Jumping in as a 3rd party fan. It's NE 3 -1 in SB's and NE is still in control. That's a fact.

That said, what the Colts and Playtex Manning did last year absolutely deserves kudos. The Colts have been locked in mortal kombat with NE for the last 4-5 years. We all know this. That the Colts finally got over the hump by going THRU NE and in doing so, coming back from a 20 point deficit in the 2nd half is nothing short of remarkable. My hat goes off to them! It takes a lot of moxie to do what the Colts did to NE in the playoffs last year. Especially considering history. The Colts had many reasons to give it up after the 1st half last AFCC. But they didn't and the rest is history. Maybe it's cos they had been owning NE for a time leading up to that game?

In any case I'm gonna have my popcorn out when you guys meet. :)

What's the deal with the Playtex reference?

What's the deal with the Playtex reference?

Geeez...it's just a little lighthearted comedy. Besides, Playtex will probably be his next sponser. "D cup, aisle 34."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes