PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Chad Jackson hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And actually, some of the best WRs in the NFL today needed at least two years to gel in the NFL. Being a receiver in the pros and being one in college are two different things. The transition is a much bigger step than some people think.

People hate because this world moves fast these days and people can't wait a few years for a really young kid to develope. You would think they might give the benifit of the doubt to with an injury like an ACL tear.

He is only 23 years old for the record that is younger than Limus Sweed one of the top WRs from this years draft.

I for one think he will contribute this a year, and I hope he can step up and be the # 3 reciever behind Moss and Welker. and when I say #3 i just mean 3rd option (which is what is meant by numbering).

wear your Chad Jack jerseys proud....I wear mine.

I'll be completely candid at the risk of sounding like a complete loser:

I predict he will be a bust because of talent evaluators SUCK at scouting WR talent. They got lucky with Branch.

I think it gives me credibility to pronounce a player as a bust or a overlooked star when conventional wisdom goes the other way. I can name all the players I noticed that fit both of those categories. I could also name all the players I missed on. It's some sort of ego trip with me. I think I can see the "IT" quality in players in college. If they don't have "IT" I like to proclaim them busts.

I don't know that there is a lot of hate for him. But for some reason he is one of these polarizing figures where there is a very vocal minority screaming BUST and another very vocal minority screaming NEXT BIG THING.

My guess is the majority are sane folks like myself and the OP who are just being patient and quietly waiting to see what the Pats have in Jackson.

This has to be now or never for Chad Jackson. If Chad can't make

a significant contribution this year, he should be cut and a high

2009 draft pick used for a high receiver.

It is weird that there doesn't seem to be the same hate for David Thomas, despite pretty similar careers thus far. Both of them have been hugely unlucky, yet only one of them seems to get blamed for his luck.

I'm excited about both of them this year.

It is weird that there doesn't seem to be the same hate for David Thomas, despite pretty similar careers thus far. Both of them have been hugely unlucky, yet only one of them seems to get blamed for his luck.

I was trying to think of another player in a similar situation and couldn't. Thomas is a good one. I mean, if it's a matter of "What have you done for me lately?" as some folks claim, was Bruschi being called a bust when he missed 10 games after his stroke? How about Sammy Morris after the sternum? Ty Law with the Lis Franc?

Obviously, the difference is that these players were established when they suffered their injuries. So it's really not a matter of "what have you done for me lately?", it's more like "I don't know how good you are, so you're not worth keeping."

The facts are that Belichick had him rated very highly in the draft, highly enough that he made a significant move up to draft him. Belichick has trusted him as a rookie in critical situations. Belichick likes him enough that he cut a player with some upside just on the off chance he could contribute less than one year after suffering a torn ACL. And he's on a very affordable rookie contract for at least two more years. And he hasn't played any less WR than Kelley Washington or Sam Aiken lately. And he's a willing and capable Special Teams player.

He's not going anywhere, and I predict that come opening day, Jackson is starting at flanker.

The basis is there's a lot of people that enjoy proclaiming young players as "busts" and take pleasure in seeing these players failures. It's pathetic, but that's what Maroney-haters did last year and CJ haters have done for two years. They take so much pride in correctly predicting a player will fail. I'm not sure why fans do this, but it happens quite a bit.

CJ - along with Meriweather - will be the most intriguing player come TC for me. I've been saying for months he presents a considerable upgrade over Gaffney and offers much more well rounded talents than Stallworth - IF he develops into the player we thought he'd be when healthy.

I don't hate Chad Jackson; I don't take pleasure in the fact that his NFL career so far has been derailed by injury; nor do I want him to fail. My definition of bust is someone who has a roster spot on the team but contributes nothing, has done so for several years and so far has not shown me things are going to change. It's not personal; he's probably a great guy who deserves a break, but in the Not For Long league, your window is short and you've got to show you have something or you're out.

Just curious, are there any really good WRs who did nothing for their first two years (for whatever reason) and then were fantastic after that? This is a real question, not a sarcastic one.

Perfect analogy. I too am excited to see what both of these guys do. Thomas more so than Jackson. I think if Thomas is healthy the two TE set will be killer. He not be the physical specimen Watson or Jackson are, but he has hands of glue.

Hate?

Chad Jackson has been and continues to be one of the more popular players with fans on this board. I would dare say no player has a greater popularity to production ratio than Chad.

Start a who should be the other WR in 3 WR sets with Moss and Welker thread and see how many people think it should just be handed to him over Gaffney.

Saying that this is the year Jackson needs to prove himself isn't hate - it is the truth.

Just curious, are there any really good WRs who did nothing for their first two years (for whatever reason) and then were fantastic after that? This is a real question, not a sarcastic one.

Yes...

Wes Welker had a total of 29 catches over his first three years.

Derrick Mason had 39 catches and 3 td's over his first two years.

Keenan McCardell, 24 catches, 4 tds over his first three years.

Santana Moss, 32 catches his first two years.

Joe Horn, 18 catches in his first three years.

If Jackson turns out as good as any of these players, we'd be pretty satisfied, I'd say.

Last edited:
I think it'll be really interesting to see Chad Jackson, now fully healthy and three years into the program and playbook, take the big leap I expect he might.

Everything is in place, including major players at WR to take all the attention in the passing game, and a solid veteran to share time with, which further lowers the pressure on Jackson.

Considering this and the factors you mentioned, I won't go as far as "now or never" but it's close.

He has a 4 year deal I believe, so if this year is a nothing year for him, the Pats could easily upgrade the position next offseason at little cost, since Jax would only have one year left and Gaffney would be a free agent.

Didn't Chad say that he'd been under Moss' wing all last season? Moss spent a lot of time working with him, Chad was running his routes behind him, etc?
Maybe Randy's just that nice of a guy but also- Chad must have shown something in order for Moss/BB to invest that much time in him?
I still believe but 08 is my deadline-step up Chad and run some routes, make a catch, do something- or else we'll call you Bethel :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes