PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Chad Jackson hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I've got a non-camera issue if I may be so bold. Just browsing various threads today, I noticed about a half-dozen different posters in a half-dozen different threads say something like "I predict that Chad Jackson is cut" or "Chad Jackson is a bust. Time to move on."

What gives? We have a very athletic WR who played extremely well in a Pro-Style offense in Gainesville. His rookie year, he looked like a typical rookie receiver. He made some plays, left some others on the field. He had the confidence of Belichick to get playing time in critical situations, which to me says a lot.

He tears his ACL covering a kick in the playoff loss to Indy. Belichick thinks enough of him to PUP him. Belichick thinks enough of him that even though he hasn't practiced at all so far, he activates him after two weeks, requiring somebody (Kareem Brown?) be cut to activate Jackson to a WR position that is stacked, when it would have been very easy to IR him. Why?

Because Bill Belichick felt that Jackson could contribute to a record-breaking offense / special teams.

So what's the basis for the "bust" talk?

Last edited:
"We have a very athletic WR who played extremely well in a Pro-Style offense in Gainesville."

Right, but what has he done for the club lately...other than sit on the PUP list? I understand injuries are part of football but CJ get all kinds of praise for doing NOTHING for the team.

Okay, he was great in college. What has he done at the professional level? We shall see this year.

He can't get on the field. That's why I think he's a bust. I was one of the ones who predicted this is his last year with the Pats. As I said elsewhere, I hope I'm wrong. I'll be the first to come back & say it if I am.

I don't think that way about Jackson, there's been his hamstring, then having a WR lineup that includes, Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Gaffney. But, this is the year where he needs to shine somehow, this could be his do or die year.

Personally, I'd like to see the young reciever have a coming out party, gotta think about the future !

"We have a very athletic WR who played extremely well in a Pro-Style offense in Gainesville."

Right, but what has he done for the club lately...other than sit on the PUP list? I understand injuries are part of football but CJ get all kinds of praise for doing NOTHING for the team.

Okay, he was great in college. What has he done at the professional level? We shall see this year.

Well, 13 catches his rookie year, for a 11.2 yd average. 6 got first downs and 3 touchdowns.

Are they huge numbers? Of course not. Are they bad for a rookie WR in limited playing time? Not at all. I just don't understand how missing 9 games with an injury = being a bust.

Right, but what has he done for the club lately...other than sit on the PUP list?
What do you expect on a torn ACL - usually the first year back (last year) is largely a dud year. If he doesn't flash THIS year then I will move on from him.

Well, 13 catches his rookie year, for a 11.2 yd average. 6 got first downs and 3 touchdowns.

Are they huge numbers? Of course not. Are they bad for a rookie WR in limited playing time? Not at all. I just don't understand how missing 9 games with an injury = being a bust.

Well, Jackson was supposed to be a late 1st rounder that dropped to the second round. I think we all expected more out of the guy considering the state of the receiving corp at the time (2006).

I'm not screaming "BUST!" yet but I have nothing on which to judge the guy (me not being a college football fan) other than the fact that he's been on the PUP and has seen limited playing time when healthy.

I constantly ask myself, "Why all the Chad Jackson love?" A previous poster asked what he's done for the club lately. Nothing. Up to now, he's been nothing but dead weight. I really hope he has a good, injury free season this year, but he hasn't earned anything yet.

As usual DryHeat is on the money.

What do you expect on a torn ACL - usually the first year back (last year) is largely a dud year. If he doesn't flash THIS year then I will move on from him.

I want that in writing and signed in triplicate. :D

I'm as excited as anyone to see what Chad Jackson will do, and I am a major proponent of patience and "it takes most wrs 3 years to fully start to get it," blah blah blah - BUT he has been am unqualified MASSIVE disappointment so far and I think any skepticism and frustration directed his way is completely fair.

So what's the basis for the "bust" talk?

The basis is there's a lot of people that enjoy proclaiming young players as "busts" and take pleasure in seeing these players failures. It's pathetic, but that's what Maroney-haters did last year and CJ haters have done for two years. They take so much pride in correctly predicting a player will fail. I'm not sure why fans do this, but it happens quite a bit.

CJ - along with Meriweather - will be the most intriguing player come TC for me. I've been saying for months he presents a considerable upgrade over Gaffney and offers much more well rounded talents than Stallworth - IF he develops into the player we thought he'd be when healthy.

Last edited:
I wonder if on a Yankee Message Board somewhere they are asking "Why all the Carl Pavano hate?"

I don't hate Jackson nor do I think he is a bust yet, but this is a make or break year. If he isn't productive, then he deserves criticism. Even if he gets injured, the injury prone moniker is deserved.

I wrote off last year for Jackson. First, there were rumors before the season started that the Patriots decided to use last year as a redshirt year for Jackson unless needed due to injuries. Second, we had plenty of receiving weapons that it was going to be tough for Jackson to prove himself on the field or in practice to get playing time.

This year, he has a legitimate opportunity to fight Gaffney to be our #3 WR. I don't see him starting the season this way, but if he lives up to his potential he could be our #3 by midseason. If he is inactive during games or Kelly Washington gets more reps, then we can start trashing the guy.

More importantly, I wanted to thank the OP for starting this thread and I want to keep bumping it due to the short-bus mentality on this cameragate obsessed, they're-picking-on-my-Mommy website.

Just keep pissing on us short bussers because your binky committed career suicide.

Back on point, oddly - much of the vitriol that feeds the bust mentality where this player is concerned is rooted in mediot insider assessments. A berserk mediot who resides in the bowels of Gillette and posted here under the tag Alisonlovesbrady and others, smeared him unmercifully and his pals at the Herald jumped all too willingly on that bandwaggon. Hey, if a PFW guy says a player is immature, must be true...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no reason to think Chad Jackson is a bust yet. I don't remember clearly which game it was this year...I think it was the AFCCG, but he made a great special teams play. IMO, being exposed to the kind of receivers we had this year will probably inspire and push him even more. I know it would of me.

I wonder if on a Yankee Message Board somewhere they are asking "Why all the Carl Pavano hate?"

Or a Devil Rays Message Board: "Why all the Rocco Baldelli hate?"

That is if the D'Rays actually had a fan base.

He's had a year to sit on the bench behind receivers like Moss and Welker. I think the guy will tune it up this year and, barring injuries, should shine in our offense later on in the season. Give him another year and see if he can be injury free before we all label him a bust.

I constantly ask myself, "Why all the Chad Jackson love?" A previous poster asked what he's done for the club lately. Nothing. Up to now, he's been nothing but dead weight. I really hope he has a good, injury free season this year, but he hasn't earned anything yet.

There is a huge difference between what he has done up until now, which everyone can usually agree on with most players, and whether that has any relation to what he will do in the future.

If you want to say having a torn ACL is an indication of his ability to be a good WR, then it does.
If you accept that football players get injured and move on to play well after, then the guy has had bad luck, which basically puts him in the same position he was drafted in, he has potential, and we will see if he uses it.

I can understand the idea that he has proven anything yet. I cant understand how that is used against him as proof he will not, when injuires kept him off the field.
I definitely dont understand how anyones opinion could be more negative about his propspects to help the team because of the first 2 years, unless you blame him for tyhe inuury, think he is a malingerer, or think the injury is career threatening. I think none of the above.

Right on. RBs and WRs depend on cutting ability and a full recovery = 2years. Why have a hobbled player, risk further injury when he won't be at full speed agility when you already have new Moss Welker and Stallworth?

Patience is a virtue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back