Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why Texas Blew Off Perry's Prayer Day

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Seems they had better, more important places to be.

While 8,000 people signed up to attend Rick Perry's Day of Prayer and maybe 20,000 actually showed up, 100,000 other Texans had some place else to be.

It's all well and good to look to God and God's Chosen Politicians for help - but when the going get tough - the people know it's wisest to look elsewhere - namely various business groups and individuals (who actually act a good Christian game rather than simply talking one) and a charitable organization which Sheila Jackson Lee is active in.

You know the kind - the kind that puts their money where their mouth is and actually provides a service rather than praying someone else does it for them.

A good seven miles from Gov. Rick Perry's much-anticipated prayer rally, an even larger crowd of Houstonians gathered in preparation for another sacred event: the first day of school.

Some families camped out for hours to gain admittance into Houston's first-ever, citywide back-to-school event at George R. Brown Convention Center, where free backpacks, school supplies, uniforms, haircut vouchers, immunizations and fresh produce were provided.

Others were turned away.

"It was getting beyond capacity," HISD spokesman Jason Spencer said. "If nothing else, it shows the need."

Maribel Martinez and her five children ages 8 to 13 arrived around 7 a.m. to receive backpacks stuffed with supplies including paper, pencils, a pencil sharpener, glue and a compact disc of songs. They also got uniform shirts.

"This is a help, given how the economy is," said Martinez, an East End homemaker whose husband works full-time.

Beatrice Jones, who has two children in the Spring school district, arrived about 10:15 a.m. with her daughter and niece, only to find the doors closed and a police officer announcing the event was over.

"They were supposed to have school supplies, but all we got was sweating and paid parking," Jones said.

School Superintendent Terry Grier posted a Twitter message Saturday morning that security personnel had estimated the crowd at 100,000. At about 10 a.m., officials made the call to close the doors.

Although planners didn't know how many people would attend, they expected to serve at least 25,000 children, officials said.

Paid for with corporate funding from Shell Oil Co. and Motive Enterprises, dental and health checks were also available, as well as lunch and live entertainment.

Diane Mireles said her first priority was the immunization clinic for her two daughters, students at Oates Elementary School in northeast Houston.

"They needed shots to start school," Mireles said, adding that she had no idea where else she would have gone for the service.

Although the crowd inside the convention center had thinned by 11:30 a.m., there was still a long line of people waiting for plastic bags heavy with fresh fruits and vegetables.

The food distribution was organized by Target Hunger, a 27-year-old organization in Houston's Fifth Ward, which partnered with the Houston Food Bank for Saturday's event.

"We'll give away about 50,000 to 60,000 pounds of food before the day is over," said Donna Brownlow, Target Hunger's food services manager.

Read more: Thousands of Houstonians turn out for back-to-school help | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

The parable of the loaves and fishes are appropo..

Basic needs often precede preaching and believin...
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Often or always?

I think the truth is that hungry men will always vote with their stomachs - which is part of the reason I found this story so heartening. When it comes time to vote people are not going to cast their vote for the person who prayed for them - they're going to vote for the person who fed them.

People here have wondered why Sheila Jackson Lee keeps getting elected - here ya go. Here's your reason.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

How abut usually it sounds better...
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -9

No comment......................
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

"Usually" works.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Saw the "highlights" of this event....wow!

My man Rick, amazing human being! The problem with our country is pretty obvious, we are not praying enough. I, myself, am only putting in a solid 3-4 hours a day. I need to be in the 6-8 hour range to have any effectivness. Jesus himself would want the economy to fail, so that a republican juggernaut like Mr. Perry can assume the role of spiritual advisor to the red, white and blue.
    I believe it was written in the book of Luke that cutting social programs, along with low taxes for the wealthy was the way Jesus ran things when he was president of Texas back in the day. I can't pull the exact quote, but someone said it on a blog, so I know it's true. Jesus hated spending, and also at one time tried to secede from the union (Just like Rick!). This is what the war of 1812 was about.

Run Rick...Run!

You have my vote in 2012. Pick Palin, and you will win.

In God's name.
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -9

You want a crowd in your yard, put up a sign saying "free stuff" 10 thousand people will show up in fifteen minutes.

Old Lee The racist knows how to do it.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

God bless America ...and Texas, too...and no one else.

Where's the rain and cool air, Rick?

We must look like lunatics to the thinking world.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

yep, those republicans sure are misguided:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

11. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can you please tell me when Obama organized a Christian only event at a 70,000 seat Football Stadium to pray for America? Thanks in advance.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Going to church and trying to be the church are two different things.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

His birth in Kenya was attended by 3 wisemen, 2 of which were terrorists, and 1 was there to "Pal around"....
  14. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What are you going on about? The other one was there because he had to get to Hawaii to make birth announcements in the local newspapers and fill out the birth certificate. You know nothing :)
  15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Hey i know you guys are mostly taking a shot at Perry and he deserves one with this with what I think is dog and pony show. But it seemed like things were starting to drift and prayer itself was becoming the target. I just wanted to remind you that prayer and worship is practiced by all kinds of people....even people you admire.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  16. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

I'm pretty sure it's impossible not to be aware of that in this nation (as in many parts of the world).
  17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Oh I agree but many times it's the object of ridicule around here.
  18. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

Perhaps, but when it's the object of ridicule, it's typically because of politicians mixing religion with governing,

(and on this board, when it's Islam / Muslims as opposed to Christians (or Jews), it often goes far beyond ridicule to outright bigotry)
  19. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think Rick needs to stop praying. Remember back in April when he said this

Rick Perry Asks Texans to Pray for Rain | Mother Jones

Seems God isn't listening.

Texas gets even drier in record drought - Weather - msnbc.com
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -9

But not Islam, thats a sacred "no no"
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011