PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why? Someone please inform me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The normal pattern of this board is to discuss the team's problems. Since there are apparently no problems right now, we have to discuss future problems instead. :D

April 15, 2018

Tom Brady announces retirement

The only future PROBLEM

Mods - what are you going to do for 10 years????

I thought we were here to discuss the Patriots, which last time I checked, actually involved more than one theme and one issue. The discussion is not permanently lodged in the present with no opportunity to discuss the future.

Contrary to popular myth, normal life does not stop just because the team is winning. Where did this idea come from that "everybody is supposed to be happy and satisfied with the present" 24 and 7 when the team is winning? Is that a rule? I never heard it, and I don't think it's realistic. I don't think it's realistic to expect everybody to stop thinking ahead to the future just because the present is working out well. That has never happened except in drugged states of mind.

Basically, there is a limit to how many times you can say, "Gosh, wow, they scored 50 points" and get a revelation out of it. We have gotten the revelation. We get it every Sunday and then our minds turn to "gosh wow" again. But to stay permanently in that state is like asking for a drug high that never goes away. It's not only impossible, it's dangerous and not normal, and you will get run over by a tractor-trailer sooner or later.

Exactly. So let's be thankful for what we have.

There's a difference between saying "Gosh, wow, they scored 50 points" and saying "Gosh, wow, they're going to go 19-0, win the Super Bowl, and be known as the greatest there was...so what do you think of Moss' contract situation?"

Seriously. Outside of the scouts whose job it is to disregard what the team is doing right now and only focus on next year's draft, do you really think anyone in Football Ops. is taking time to think about specifics of next season, nevermind past Sunday's game?

There's a difference between saying "Gosh, wow, they scored 50 points" and saying "Gosh, wow, they're going to go 19-0, win the Super Bowl, and be known as the greatest there was...so what do you think of Moss' contract situation?"

Seriously. Outside of the scouts whose job it is to disregard what the team is doing right now and only focus on next year's draft, do you really think anyone in Football Ops. is taking time to think about specifics of next season, nevermind past Sunday's game?

I guess people could start basically the same threads over and over.

Actually, they are.

I think we should forget about McFadden and draft Darren McSkinnyen.

haha get it?

ummm yeah not funny.

It is due to several factors.

1.) As has been said, there is little to analyze, criticise, or complain about.

2.) Many of us are really sick of the haters, and the yahoos who constantly respond to them with the endless "did you hear what he said" threads.

3.) The college season is pretty much over. So the pre draft player analysis is beginning.

I'm too lazy to check, but I'll bet at this time, and even earlier, last year, we were wondering about Seattle's winning and losing and guess who would be available with their pick. It is quite natural to wonder in normal circumstances, and the possibity of a top five pick is quite exciting.

As for why there are so many threads is because every time someone tries to discuss this, some Meme comes on and says things like, "Why are you talking about this? We are 10-0. That is all we should be talking about. Why don't you enjoy the season and not think about anything else?"

The fallacy of course is that many people CAN enjoy the present and still enjoy talking about the future. My grandmother would always get after us when we were kids. We'd be at an A&W enjoying our food and talking about other meals and how this summer we would go to the Clam Shack, and she would get on our cases. "Why are you talking about how much fun it will be this summer? Can't you enjoy the spring?"

We would try to explain to Gramma but she could never get it.

"Why?" is the question.

Why has there been a huge increase in the following types of threads over the past few weeks:

A) Darren McFadden
B) Other draft prospects
C) Offseason needs
D) Moss' contract

This isn't March, people! We sound like a bunch of Jets fans talking about who they want to draft with their high pick next year.

That's because their season is already over.

HINT: The Patriots' season isn't!

10-0.

Not Darren McFadden.

10-0.

Not mock drafts.

10-0.

Not exercising options.

10-0.

We're just getting ready for Philadelphia.

NEW (old) POLICY: All McFadden and draft threads will be moved to the draft forum.

All those who post about the Pats' offseason needs need to remember these two numbers:

Ten.

Zero.

Let's hope all are relevant to what could be the greatest season of an NFL team ever...

I don't pay attention to threads that are about subjects I don't find interesting. And that's the majority of threads. That doesn't mean I want to see anyone restricted in what they want to start threads about. Instead of trying to tell them what to start threads about, try ignoring them.

I thought we were here to discuss the Patriots, which last time I checked, actually involved more than one theme and one issue. The discussion is not permanently lodged in the present with no opportunity to discuss the future.

Contrary to popular myth, normal life does not stop just because the team is winning. Where did this idea come from that "everybody is supposed to be happy and satisfied with the present" 24 and 7 when the team is winning? Is that a rule? I never heard it, and I don't think it's realistic. I don't think it's realistic to expect everybody to stop thinking ahead to the future just because the present is working out well.

X's 2. :cool: I enjoy talking about all aspects of the team past, present, AND future. :cool:

We'd be at an A&W enjoying our food and talking about other meals and how this summer we would go to the Clam Shack, and she would get on our cases. "Why are you talking about how much fun it will be this summer? Can't you enjoy the spring?"

Oh thanks for the flashback. We used to go to the A&W in Valley Falls, RI. It is the last place I can recall with car-hop service. Root Beer hasn't been the same since.

BTW...it's Memere. :)

As for me the draft topics are way to early and will be repeated numerous times until March...but if the consensus says ok then I'll have to adjust. Thanks pats1 for bringing it up as it was bugging me too.

We are dealing with children who want to open their presents on Christmas Eve, and they are whining to their parents about all the expensive crap they want. They got a shiny fire truck last year (Maroney) but they want an upgrade. It's sickening.

Personally, I think a "shiny ambulance truck last year (Maroney)" fits the analogy better.

I'm a big draft nut but it's way too early to start speculation on which players to take. Hell, we don't even know which underclassmen will declare.

Having said that, keeping track of SF and OAK regarding our place in the draft is topical. Personally I'd like the SF pick to be no higher than 6th or lower than 15th. The Oakland pick I'd like to see in the top 5.

I'm a big draft nut but it's way too early to start speculation on which players to take. Hell, we don't even know which underclassmen will declare.

Having said that, keeping track of SF and OAK regarding our place in the draft is topical. Personally I'd like the SF pick to be no higher than 6th or lower than 15th. The Oakland pick I'd like to see in the top 5.

Do you think we should punt every time against the Jets?

Did you know Wes Welker was short?

Last edited:
Like it or not a top five pick is an asset. What we do with this pick even if we trade it will have a huge effect on this teams future. Now I dont know about you guys but I did'nt start rooting for this team just last year nor do I plan on quitting after this year. The future matters. Most fans that are looking forward to a top five pick have losing teams just because we dont doesnt mean its a bad thing to look ahead. Its just one more good thing we can look forward to, like the playoffs. To quote everyones favorite culinary convict..."Thats a good thing!"

I vote for more comedy why did you all let the comedic run it up thread die it was hilarious.

as for why we have nothing better to talk about we are too dominate and the media is finally caving in a giving up hope for us to be chalanged.

I know they do it to the last Undefeated team every year bit i have never seen this many of themedia convinced of our superioity

Man, I hate threads like this.

"We're just getting ready for Philadelphia."

No, WE'RE not. We're not on the team. We're not getting ready for Jack. We're fans, who like to discuss the team. All aspects, including the draft or whatever.

Man, I hate threads like this.

"We're just getting ready for Philadelphia."

No, WE'RE not. We're not on the team. We're not getting ready for Jack. We're fans, who like to discuss the team. All aspects, including the draft or whatever.

I'm focused on A.J. Feeley, I don't know about you. Harumph!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back