PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why so few Pats offers on the Breast Cancer auction site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudyPatFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know that there were a few more items being auctioned off in the past. But as of now, there are only four items available. And none of them are very exciting.

Pats current offers: NFL Auction Search

By contrast, the Jets not only offer more but better options. For example, one is an on-field experience at a home game!

Jets current offers: NFL Auction Search

Wouldn't some Pats fans bid big bucks for a good cause for the right offer? Judy

I know that there were a few more items being auctioned off in the past. But as of now, there are only four items available. And none of them are very exciting.

Pats current offers: NFL Auction Search

By contrast, the Jets not only offer more but better options. For example, one is an on-field experience at a home game!

Jets current offers: NFL Auction Search

Wouldn't some Pats fans bid big bucks for a good cause for the right offer? Judy

If you go through team-by-team the number of items for auction seems to range from one to five. The anomaly is not the Pats - it's the Jets, for whatever reason. You might want to write/call/e-mail the Pats about this, but I get the feeling each individual team has almost no say in these auctions; it looks like it is run strictly by the NFL, not the clubs.

For some unknown reason, there has rarely been any Pats stuff on the NFL auction site. Usually it's just autographed footballs.

For reasons I do not understand, the Patriots players as a team are not very motivated for charity as compared to some other teams. They do some, but not a lot. While this is the opposite of the way the Krafts operate, it fits pretty much right in line with BB's no nonsense, we are here to win football games, not sign autographs or wear ribbons attidute.

For reasons I do not understand, the Patriots players as a team are not very motivated for charity as compared to some other teams. They do some, but not a lot. While this is the opposite of the way the Krafts operate, it fits pretty much right in line with BB's no nonsense, we are here to win football games, not sign autographs or wear ribbons attidute.

I do not know but I always had the opposite impression that Kraft just about mandates that players do charity & community work. The Pats make a big deal each year about the Ron Burton award for community service.

I personally am supportive of the breast cancer cause, but why the NFL has adopted this as a yearly month-long "cause celebre" with all the pink accoutrements seems oddly overblown. Considering that most fans are male, why not a campaign for prostate cancer awareness?

I personally am supportive of the breast cancer cause, but why the NFL has adopted this as a yearly month-long "cause celebre" with all the pink accoutrements seems oddly overblown. Considering that most fans are male, why not a campaign for prostate cancer awareness?

You beat me to it. It actually pisses me off that the NFL pretty much blows off prostrate cancer. Ex-Pat Mike Haynes is a survivor and spokesman. Black males are far more likely to get this cancer than WWW types.

Worst of all the latest govt health advisory says PSA testing is a waste because of too many false positives. Problem is that that would leave only rectal exams as a method of finding the disease. Not good enough. A better test is not available and funding goes to more PC perceived diseases. Males are living longer and there are many prostate cancers that will rot your bones and cause you to die horribly before real old age like Dennis Hopper.

I do not know but I always had the opposite impression that Kraft just about mandates that players do charity & community work. The Pats make a big deal each year about the Ron Burton award for community service.

And it appears that most of the players do just a much as the mandate requires and not much more.

Its not like Kraft is going to tell BB to cut a player cause he isn't autographing enough footballs for charity auctions.

Just like with the rest of society some players are more generous than others. While Brady is better QB than Manning. Manning definetly does more for Charity -- and it is not even close.

Worst of all the latest govt health advisory says PSA testing is a waste because of too many false positives. Problem is that that would leave only rectal exams as a method of finding the disease. Not good enough. A better test is not available and funding goes to more PC perceived diseases. Males are living longer and there are many prostate cancers that will rot your bones and cause you to die horribly before real old age like Dennis Hopper.

If this is the final outcome, I'd be OK with it:

But like many physicians, he sees a middle road, one that either may lead to the test - or not. He believes each man should decide after being counseled about the potential risks and benefits of the test, based on age, race, family history, and personal fears.

Prostate Cancer: Experts discourage vitamins and PSA test | Philadelphia Inquirer | 10/12/2011

And it appears that most of the players do just a much as the mandate requires and not much more.

Its not like Kraft is going to tell BB to cut a player cause he isn't autographing enough footballs for charity auctions.

PWP: Of course I agree with the preceding Sun rising in the East statement.

Just like with the rest of society some players are more generous than others. While Brady is better QB than Manning. Manning definetly does more for Charity -- and it is not even close.

I have no data but color me skeptical about the Pats player minimum.

More accurately: Manning does more in public for charity.

Remember what Jim Brown said about Bill Belichick:

Brown: I don't compare myself with anyone. Let me tell you about someone I do admire. Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots has contributed more to the work I surround myself with than any black athlete in modern times – financially, intellectually, every way. He's been in the prisons with me. He's met gang members in my home; he's met gang members in Cleveland [where Belichick coached the Browns form 1991 to '95]. He's put up money. He's opened up areas of education for us very quietly and very strongly. Imagine what would happen if Michael Jordan did the same thing.

There are strong contra opinions, which I share. Blowing off low cost PSA tests done at the same lab visit where cholesterol is checked is folly. Do we want to go back to the pre PSA test 70s as stated in the very article when most cancers were detected AFTER they metasticized? Longer potential male lifetimes mean more opportunity for metasticized prostate cancers to eat away at your bones. Get checked. And if and only if the doctor decides there's a PSA anomaly, then get a biopsy done. That test has a very high degree of cancer detection and minimal false positives. They also analyze your 12 site sampled cells under a microscope to determine via the Gleason scale the specific type and aggressiveness of the cancer. You want it dealt with before it bursts out of the prostate into the lymph nodes and pelvic bones. Your longevity outlook is radically different pre breakout vs post breakout.

There are strong contra opinions, which I share. Blowing off low cost PSA tests done at the same lab visit where cholesterol is checked is folly. Do we want to go back to the pre PSA test 70s as stated in the very article when most cancers were detected AFTER they metasticized? Longer potential male lifetimes mean more opportunity for metasticized prostate cancers to eat away at your bones. Get checked. And if and only if the doctor decides there's a PSA anomaly, then get a biopsy done. That test has a very high degree of cancer detection and minimal false positives. They also analyze your 12 site sampled cells under a microscope to determine via the Gleason scale the specific type and aggressiveness of the cancer. You want it dealt with before it bursts out of the prostate into the lymph nodes and pelvic bones. Your longevity outlook is radically different pre breakout vs post breakout.

Wow, that article blew me away. Could the information on prostate cancer prevention/treatment be any less confusing? The NFL is really missing the boat here.

What follows is meant to be educational, not an "attack."

There are two ways to measure the "effectiveness" of a diagnostic test such as PSA screenings:

Sensitivity: How often does the test pick up a condition when it's present? [In math terms, it's (true positives)/(true positives + false negatives).]

Specificity: How often does the test say that a condition is not present when it is, in fact, not present? [In math terms, it's (true negatives)/(true negatives + false positives).]

High sensitivity is good, since you don't want to miss disease; high specificity is also good, because it means you're not doing additional tests on people who are healthy.

The problem with the PSA is that it's not extraordinarily sensitive—a significant number of men with prostate tumors have normal PSAs—and it's not extraordinarily specific—a significant number of men who don't have prostate cancer have elevated PSAs.

No test is 100% specific and 100% sensitive. A big part of the problem with diagnostic tests is that it's almost always a trade-off: to make the test more sensitive, you almost always are going to have more false positives; to make the test more specific almost always means more false negatives.

So the debate comes down to whether the test does more good for the true positives than it does harm to the false positives and false negatives.

False PSA positives are answered by procedures e.g. biopsy. Worst false positive outcome there is the wasted expense and discomfort.

The article concedes that eliminating PSA without having the faintest clue of a replacement brings us back to the 1970s. All those cancer cases, mostly metasticized, that the correct positive PSA tests find would await discovery until more pronounced symptoms. Tens of thousands would die earlier than otherwise.

The hysteria is over those who simply based on high or sudden rise in PSA take extreme measures without further due diligence. Nobody with competent medical support should do this. Nor should patients who biopsy with a low Gleason score and objective lab evidence showing small, slow growth anomalous cells. Apparently some folks and doctors hit the panic button at this stage and go ahead with radical treatments. Counteracting such bad medical advice or patient panic by dissuading men from PSA testing is not the solution to these issues.

Last edited:

Just curious, what are you basing that opinion on? Have you actually spent time following other teams and players to make a comparison? Have you actually taken the time to find out what charities the players do help out, or the amount they raise? Did you put all those numbers in a spreadsheet to come to that conclusion?

From everything I have read over the years they do quite a bit of charity work. The biggest thing I notice is that they generally don't actively seek reporters and cameras for press coverage about their appearances.

The Patriot players and organization seem to do a lot of charity work around their community, just maybe not these type of things.

BTW, The Welker signed authentic jersey is going for $480. My son seen Wes this summer and got his authentic jersey autographed and wears it every Sunday to watch the Pats play. He is going to die when I tell him what the jersey is going for. Well maybe not, he's a kid and it's more fun to wear it then frame it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes