Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why Should he be worried if he did nothing wrong??

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

[size=+4] Obama: Wright flap has 'shaken me up'[/size]

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama told CNN on Wednesday the recent uproar over his former pastor's sermons has reminded him of the odds he faces in winning the White House.
    art.obama.cnn.jpg

Sen. Obama opens up in a one-on-one exclusive interview with Anderson Cooper.

"In some ways, this controversy has actually shaken me up a little bit and gotten me back into remembering that the odds of me getting elected have always been lower than some of the other conventional candidates," the Illinois senator told CNN's Anderson Cooper in an exclusive one-on-one interview.

Obama declined to speculate on whether the controversy surrounding the Rev. Jeremiah's Wright's sermons may damage him politically, but said his campaign does best when it doesn't follow the "textbook."

"If I was just running the textbook campaign -- doing the conventional thing -- I probably wasn't going to win because Sen. [Hillary] Clinton was going to be much more capable of doing that than I would be," he said. "We had tremendous success, and I think we were starting to get a little comfortable and conventional right before Texas and Ohio."

The exclusive interview came one day after Obama delivered a speech on race and politics in Philadelphia, during which he denounced some of Wright's comments, but said he could not repudiate the man himself.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/19/obama.interview/index.html

//

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,818 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

The old song ... "nobody knows the trouble I've seen" brought into play.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  3. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I have a feeling things will get worse before they get better, for the Barack candidacy.

//

4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,818 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

He'll start making subliminal references to hymms once sung by the slaves ... that's why I posted that one above ... watch and let me know if I'm wrong ... this is war ... unannounced of course.

5. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Somebody -- Clauswitcz maybe? -- said: "Politics (diplomacy) is war done with words, not cannons."

//

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What does the thread title have to do with the content of the first post?

7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,818 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

everything wistah ... it's all there.

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This topic has a real chance...

of breaking Patsfans' Political Forum's all time record for thread starting. The all time champ: Bush=Monkey Yes or No? is still in the lead with 327 threads started to date...

But the topic: Obama's Preacher Man is just No Good, is off to a great start with over 40 threads started in less than one week.

Only time will tell if the rookie's got legs or not.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,818 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

I must admit sometimes I see thread titles and I wonder if I'm in a time warp.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

The Barack stuff has gotten way too much play, kinda like the way righties treat the "tough" threads, which they hijack .. in the real world they kinda hijack life events to refocus on a diversionary thing over and over and over.. kinda like Dennis Callahan.... Rush Limbaugh... Ann Coulter... it is a method, and something to be aware of.

11. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Some people make up agit-prop theater to steal elections, and other people see through that.

We've learned from 1960, 1973-74, '76, and 1992.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

//

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

You left out the biggest one of all... 2000.

13. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No theater in 2000. Bill Clinton sealed that victory for Geo Bush.

And Clinton will likely seal the fate of this year's election, too. People are not as dumb as some would have us believe.

//

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

A matter of opinion, interesting every election won by a Dem is grand theater, but anyone by the republicans is right on.. interesting concept, and when you get up in the mornings do you put on truth blinders??? You would not know it if it kicked you in the face..

15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

Some find Obama's candor refreshing and the way he confronts issues honestly. Others want him to play politics like McCain or Clinton. Obama freely admits when he makes a mistake, then does his best to explain his mistake and what it taught him. He did not throw Wright under the bus, but explained that he agrees with Wright on some things and strongly disagrees with him on others. McCain did the same thing with Hagee, who made strongly anti-catholic statements, and Bush and Reagan did the same thing with Francis Sheuer, who called for the violent overthrow of the US.

But, the right has a tendency to demonize black religious leaders, such as Jesse Jackson and Martin Luther King, and now they are trying to demonize Wright and by association Obama. To some degree the right has succeeded here in playing the race card; they are very good at hate. But, it remains to be seen if Americans still embrace the kind of double standard that is so prevalent in these threads about Wright and Obama.

16. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:rofl: :woohoo: :rofl: :woohoo:

Seems like your mirror is certainly NOT "foggy" this morning!!!

//

17. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I agree that Obama does have a freshness, an unspoiled innocence about him that older politicians almost always lose over time; and that's why I liked him right out the gate almost a year ago. Having said that, he does have some close connections with some troubling characters, among them his own wife's assertion of being proud of America for "first time" when her husband started to get traction as a Democrat candidate for the presidency.

Now, with these revelations of Barack's very close relationship with a man who openly cries out to his congregation: "God bless America?? NO!! God DAMN America!! God DAMN America!!"

Although Obama has sought to distance himself from such deeply troublesome attitudes toward America, those are very troubling positions for a president of America to have or even to be close to.

Does Colin Powell feel that way about America? Does Condeleeza Rice feel that way?? Do many other black Americans feel that negative toward America?? I believe there are many who have a more positive attitude about America.

Barack's not a bad guy, but I think he needs some maturing before he is ready for the presidency. He's only been a U.S. Senator for less than four years, and this is his only national level experience in government. Very, very green. These days demand a president with more savvy and experience, what with all the threats to America and the world, threats that will require more than a nice smile and good intentions to solve.

//

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

Fog, do you have the same issues with McCain for accepting support from Hagee who made strong anti-catholic remarks or from Televangelist Rod Parsley who said,

"I do not believe our country can truly fulfill its divine purpose until we understand our historical conflict with Islam. I know that this statement sounds extreme, but I do not shrink from its implications. The fact is that America was founded, in part, with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed"

Of course, like Obama, McCain in post cases distanced himself from the controversial remarks, but did not reject the men. Wright has said many wonderful things over the years, and also made a few over-the-top remarks, as did some conservative religious leaders. (I can certainly also find quotes from people like Robertson and Falwell, for instance.) I think the Wright controversy is an example of right-wing double standards rooted in right wing racism. This has been going on since at least Martin Luther King, Jr.

19. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The relationship between McCain and these Christian leaders is not at all the same as Obama's relationship with Jeremiah Wright. Obama clearly stated in his speech two days ago that, while he "strongly disagrees" with SOME of Wright's statements and positions, he "could no more distance myself from Rev. Wright than I could from my own grand mother".

Now, THAT'S a very close relationship. So is Barack's relationship with his wife, it appears. Obama is very tightly bound to Wright and Michelle Obama, but McCain is not nearly connected to these Christian pastors you mention. It's much more that these Christians are trying to claim McCain as "their" candidate. Yet I don't see McCain as being nearly as beholden to them as Obama is to Wright and Michelle.

Big, big difference.

//

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

Surely, you've had close relationships with people you strongly disagree with. I thought what Obama said showed honesty and integrity. Most politicians would throw their friends under the bus, but Obama said I strongly disagree with him on some things and respect him on other things. Obama's handling of this situation is one of the reasons I like him more than most other politicians. He seems real. Wright is like family to him, and normal people (not usually politicians) remain loyal to family regardless. Hell, Harry Boy has said he has a liberal son, and I gather Harry's quite fond of him! Should Harry reject his son? Of course not.

Like McCain, Obama has explicitly and clearly rejected those comments by Wright that he finds abhorrent.