Why should Branch sign now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
He will be the best wide receiver from the 2002 draft who will be an UFA in 2007. There is only one wide receiver from the 2003 draft who is widely rated better than Branch - Andre Johnson AND Andre Johnson is signed through the 2008 season. Javon Walker is the only top receiver that I can think of that is not already signed for the 2007 season and he is looking for a new deal. To sum up, it is very likely that Branch will be the top wideout available in free agency in 2007. Branch has to expect that the Patriots will franchise Seymour in 2007 so the Pats will not be able to use the franchise tag on Branch. Therefore, I do not expect any Branch extension until there is a Seymour extension.

I thought I read that the new CBA allows 2 franchise tags. Did I misread? :confused:

Wasn't last season the only season Branch played in all the games? The only reason I would see him signing now is for guaranteed money just in case he gets hurt (jeez, i hope not) in 2006.

smg93 said:
The only reason I would see him signing now is for guaranteed money just in case he gets hurt (jeez, i hope not) in 2006.
Right, Branch isn't exactly a big guy. And we all have ligaments. What happens if, in Week 13, he tears an ACL ? Bye bye big money.

He shouldn't reup with the Patriots unless they make a Marvin Harrison-type offer (which his performances thus far really don't merit - he's good, but he's not Torry Holt).

I think we have to assume we're going to lose Seymour and Branch in the coming seasons; this is the first time in years that there've been a lot of critical free agents who are going to be difficult to sign at once, and my feeling is that New England isn't an attractive place to play football (as seen by players like Derrick Mason choosing to go to other, less successful, clubs for less money).

Of course, tomorrow they'll sign all the top free agents left on the market and prove me wrong, but I genuinely think that there's an image problem here (plus the whole "the Patriots underpay their players" thing - which *is* true for the stars, eg Bruschi on a way undermarket deal, but isn't true for the JAG-plus guys.)

Covert said:
, and my feeling is that New England isn't an attractive place to play football (as seen by players like Derrick Mason choosing to go to other, less successful, clubs for less money).

)

My answer to those fighting words are Harrison, Brady and Tedy to name a few true football players who find NE attractive enough! There will always be some good players who find playing in warmer climes, domes, etc an important part of their decisions. I'll take the Harrison type any day of the week and twice on Sundays!!!! ;)

He might sign now maybe because he WANTS to. Maybe? Just saying, not everyone wants to jump ship.

DefenseRules said:
He might sign now maybe because he WANTS to. Maybe? Just saying, not everyone wants to jump ship.
DR, just keep in mind that that whole post was basically pulled from the *ss. Let's be honest. In one breath it says the Patriots have an image problem with players and New England isn't an attractive area to play (no, why would anybody want to play in a brand new stadium for the three-time champs led by the best coach in football) and then in the other it says that players like Tedy Bruschi sign "undermarket" deals. I can only assume they do so because somebody is holding a gun to their head.

Not going out of my way to be confrontational here, but we have no idea why Derrick Mason didn't come here. It could simply have been the style of offense, where he wasn't going to be the focal receiver. Again, we can only 'assume'. Just like 'assuming' that Branch and Seymour are goners, even in the face of what's happening right now. Isn't it possible that these moves/non-moves are indication that they have decided who they want to march forward with, and who they don't? What's the cap room all about? I don't think its solely about signing Dan Koppen.

Last edited:
edzo44 said:
I thought I read that the new CBA allows 2 franchise tags. Did I misread? :confused:
There are two types of franchise-like tags (the franchise tag and the transition tag) but a team may only use one a year (either one franchise or one transition).

5yr 30m extension. 10M upfront would get his attention. Great
hedge against an injury or being franchised.

but we have no idea why Derrick Mason didn't come here.

His wife has family in the Baltimore area and didn't want to be in a cold weather environment. Besides, how else could one of the best receivers in the league choose to go catch passes from Kyle Boller instead of 2 time Superbowl MVP Tom Brady - and for less money?!

Last edited:
They're all entitled to make their own decisions, but that rationale makes me feel as though this is a player we shouldn't be pining for anyway. If his criteria were proximity to his wife's family and the weather, I don't think he should be held up as a 'test case' of how NFL players feel about playing in New England.

All this sounds great. As with Givens and others we'll have a hundred posts over the next year. My personal opinion is that the team will offer an extension at more than the the $30 over the 6 years of the extension in the next month, and will be refused by Branch. Write that number down. Next year the first offer on Branch from several teams will all be more than that. Branch should take out an insurance policy against injury.

In free agency and the draft we are filling holes for the 2006 and 2007 seasons and a reloading for the 2006-2009 playoff and Super Bowl runs, the rest of the decade.

As of now, we can count on one great, albeit frail, wide receiver for 2006. We have ZERO receivers we can count on for 2007.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
As of now, we can count on one great, albeit frail, wide receiver for 2006. We have ZERO receivers we can count on for 2007.
Jeez, quit harping on the WR . . . who needs them ?

Seriously, I'm glad I have total trust in Belioli because I have no idea what the heck they're gonna do. Moulds and/or Keyshawn could get them through a couple of years. Barring that or some lower level FA signings, I guess we're looking at a couple, at least, or draftees . . . and Bam Bam.

Well, its a good thing we're not starting the 2007 season today then. In fact, there's some four months left before the 2006 season.

To what extent can you speak with any degree of certainty as to what Deion Branch or the team is going to do with respect to a contract extension? You certainly present all this with a great deal of certainty. I'd be interested in knowing how.

Last edited:
I think Branch will remain a Pat, simply because of the continued prejudice against short receivers and his value in this offense.

He just isn't a true #1 in the NFL. He cannot beat double coverage in most cases. Most #1's can. Teams will look at the Skins and the Moss experiment. Sometimes successful, but when he's doubled, he disappears.

Pats67 said:
To what extent can you speak with any degree of certainty as to what Deion Branch or the team is going to do with respect to a contract extension? You certainly present all this with a great deal of certainty. I'd be interested in knowing how.

I am presenting my opinion. I am backing up my opinions with facts. Do I know that Branch will not sign an extension before Seymour does?? No, I do not. Like I said, I do not expect any Branch extension until there is a Seymour extension. I thought that my use of the word expect clearly demonstrated that this is my opinion.

Last edited:
Pujo said:
There are two types of franchise-like tags (the franchise tag and the transition tag) but a team may only use one a year (either one franchise or one transition).

Transition tags can now be applied to two players, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back