PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Revis doesn't play man-press all game long

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
This is a solid article that does a good job of summarizing why Belichick doesn't want Revis in press all day, some good excerpts, which I thought I would share here for discussion:

“One of the issues of playing man on every play is just the amount of energy it takes,” said Belichick. “I mean you have to run with the guy 30, 35 yards on a running play because he’s just running you off. It’s really a nothing play for the corner, it’s an inside run, but you don’t know that. You’re in man coverage, the guy runs a go route and you gotta chase him for 40 yards and the ball is back there 40 yards behind you at the line of scrimmage, but you don’t know that. So to do that every single down, is it doable? Yeah. But is it taxing on your secondary to do that, it really is.”

Belichick believes that even someone as gifted as Revis is, someone who very much wants that responsibility, needs to get a break at various points during the game, for reasons of production and to fight the fatigue factor.

“I think there has to be a balance to that, and I would say there’s not too many corners that really want to do that 65, 70 plays, who want to be covering pass routes on every single play, which if you’re in man coverage and they know, they’re just going to run you off.”

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/revis-great-cant-expect-man-man-all-game

I honestly never considered that. Still, I want Revis in press-man more often than not. That's why he makes the big bucks.

It's not like Revis is running around any more than the WR is. They both get tired.

I still get his reasoning though

It's not like Revis is running around any more than the WR is. They both get tired.

Yeah. But it's not too uncommon to let the receiver take a brake after the long routes from time to time. Usually don't take corners off like that.

It's funny.....I never considered that either. Offensive players come in and out of the game all the time.

#1 corners rarely come off the field. If an OC sees a team playing man on every snap....you could run a guy dog tired and bring in a burner

I like what they have been doing with him now. Mostly press man but some zone, and he has shutdown Jennings, green and the rookie Watkins already. Revis has been doing what has been expected so far

As noted, a receiver gets breathers every few snaps. Revis wouldn't.

You have to consider the DB is expending more energy because he doesn't know where he's going. The receiver knows the route and can somewhat control how much energy to expend in and out of breaks, go routes, and so on.

Bedard talked again about this today.

One reason not to play man to man is when you want/need your CBs facing the line of scrimmage (an example of this might be when you're going up against a mobile quarterback). Playing man to man means that your CB's back is to the LoS and he is being taken out of the play because he is unaware of what is unfolding.

Bedard talked again about this today.

One reason not to play man to man is when you want/need your CBs facing the line of scrimmage (an example of this might be when you're going up against a mobile quarterback). Playing man to man means that your CB's back is to the LoS and he is being taken out of the play because he is unaware of what is unfolding.
Yup. Very similar to what BB was saying when he talked about the receiver running the CB off on an inside handoff. Same thing, you take the CB out of the play be distracting him with the WR.

The defender definitely gets more tired than the attacker. You have to react to everything and that means you take more steps, are looking around more, making more abrupt changes. Don't know exactly why but it is physically much more taxing chasing a guy around the field than if you are the one being chased.

So BB is a players coach.

Yeah. But it's not too uncommon to let the receiver take a brake after the long routes from time to time. Usually don't take corners off like that.

This.

Happens with every team. Don't know the snap counts for the Bills, but looking at our own team, even Edelman missed 9 snaps against the Bills and he's our most valuable WR. Gronk rested 16 snaps. Lafell missed 21. The Bills corners had to play the entire game for the most part.

Good insight and something I hadn't really considered. It speaks to the level of detail that BB puts into his gameplan. Of course we all want Revis in press man more often than not, as that's his strength, but I always thought it was just a good idea to mix it up because then the defense can't always key off that or design plays around it. Sure, against the Buffalos and Cincinnatis of the world you can get away with that, but creative offensive coaches and smart QBs gain an advantage if they automatically know what a defensive player is going to do.

Revis could probably do it, but you wouldn't want him doing that all game every season. BB is absolutely right. But he should be in press man the majority of the time, particularly on third down.

Beyond the fatigue factor here are some OTHER reasons why its oversimplifying to want Revis to be in press man every play.

1. Unpredictability - Being unpredictable is a key element in a successful defense. Don't forget the best defense is one that forces the offense/QB to make mistakes, especially in reading coverages.

2. The run game. You can't play the run with your back to the LOS. CB's are more important factors in the run game than many people realize, especially against teams that run wide or run the read option. (ie the NY Jets)

3. The impact on others- As the article implied, Revis isn't playing in a vacuum. What's ideal for him, might not be for the other 10 guys vs a particular formation or personnel match ups.

4. Confusing the WR - Why let the WR know what the coverage is. Its a huge advantage to the DB if a WR thinks he's getting man coverage and he gets zone or visa versa.

All these factors (and more) have to be considered when putting together a defensive game plan. So NOT having Revis playing nothing but press coverage every play makes excellent sense. So people shouldn't get up in arms when they see him in something other than man around 30% of the time.

My follow up question would have been then why did you have him playing zone or man-off in goal-to-goal or inside the 20 situations early in the season? I'm sure that would have been answered with additional run support but I think a few of them came a few came on later downs with longer distances.

Its not about whats best for Revis its about whats best for the defense.
Ironically, in the last 2 games when he has played more press man than he did before, while he was excellent the overall pass D was not as good as it was in other games.
Belichick will continue to do what is best for the team game by game. In some games that will mean Revis Island is in effect while he takes his chances that the rest of the secondary can cover the rest of the receivers man to man, and in others, that risk will not be worth taking away any one receiver, and we will see more zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes