PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Pats Fans Should Be Worried About Rivers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all about turnovers and red zone conversions.. If you run for 200 yards and get 3 field goals then that doesn't help much.. unless of course you hold the opposition to a TD or two FGs and a safety. :)

But of course. :cool:

No annointing allowed until after Sunday's game.;)

Seriously, the point was not that Rivers is better than Brady rather it was that Rivers has a just as great a chance if not better than Brady did as a first-year starter to win in his first play-off appearance(s) due to the better talent that surrounds Rivers.

The point was that Rivers is not a rookie QB but rather like Brady, he has spent time on the bench getting ready for his first year as a starter and like Brady in 2001, Rivers has performed well in all circumstances leading up to his first play-off game as best attested to by the fact that Rivers has the highest 4th quarter QB rating in the NFL.

The most valid point raised by Pats Fans thus far when comparing Brady and Rivers as first-year starters is that Brady had the luxury of not going up against Bill B.

To be sure Bill B. will develop a game plan to confuse Rivers. But what is unsure is whether or not he can also develop a game plan that effectively limits the impact of the great talents of the players that surrounds Rivers which he has used effectively all season. And for Pats Fans information, that talent includes McCardell and Parker both of whom will be healthy and on the field at the same time for the first time since the middle of this season.

YUP. Got it.

BTW- didn't Big Ben have a pretty good game against the Pats his first time as a starter? I'm pretty sure he beat them in the regular season 2004 and then lost to them in the Championship game. So there's precedent for a first-time QB to have success vs. BB. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Perhaps the major reason Rivers has succeeded thus far this season is that like Brady was in 2001, he is a first-year starter not a rookie QB. Rivers was on the bench learning last year when the Bolts played the Pats as he was for practically all the games during the first two years of his career.

Comparing the regular season stats of Rivers and Brady as first-year starters suggests that Rivers is as good if not better than Brady was at this point in his career.

Rivers Brady
Year 2006 2001
Yards 3,388 2,843
Comp. % 61.9 63.9
TD's 22 18
Int. 9 12

Of course, what separates Brady from everyone else is his first-year starting and subsequent performances in the play-offs and SuperBowls.

But no one seriously projected Brady's great success before the fact of it. And likewise, no one should seriously discount the possibility of Rivers following along a similar path in the play-offs now that he (as Brady did in 2001) faces his first play-off game as an experienced successful first-year starter.

And the distinct possibility of Rivers following that path is why Pats Fans should be worried about Rivers.

I first took notice of Brady back during training camp of '01, when an out-of-town reporter said, "If I didn't know Drew Bledsoe was here, I'd say this was Tom Brady's team."

You notice stuff like that.

Now, that was reported locally, not nationally (to the best of my knowledge), so other fans in other areas of the country wouldn't have had the benefit of that insight.

But yes, I agree - no one foresaw how rapidly he would grow and mature.

Now, will your guy do it, too? I dunno. I guess it depends on how well he absorbs, and subsequently adjusts to, the loss he'll experience on Sunday.

I first took notice of Brady back during training camp of '01, when an out-of-town reporter said, "If I didn't know Drew Bledsoe was here, I'd say this was Tom Brady's team."

You notice stuff like that.

Now, that was reported locally, not nationally (to the best of my knowledge), so other fans in other areas of the country wouldn't have had the benefit of that insight.

But yes, I agree - no one foresaw how rapidly he would grow and mature.

Now, will your guy do it, too? I dunno. I guess it depends on how well he absorbs, and subsequently adjusts to, the loss he'll experience on Sunday.

Cute except that there will be no subsequence for Rivers to adjust to other than the weight of heavy praise you and your fellow Pats Fans will be heaping on him come Sunday evening.:D

Cute except that there will be no subsequence for Rivers to adjust to other than the weight of heavy praise you and your fellow Pats Fans will be heaping on him come Sunday evening.:D

You'll find an interesting post by Yours Truly on this thread.

Enjoy!

For those of you who are big believers in trends:

Philip Rivers' completion percentage, by month:

October: 64.6%

November: 62.8%

December: 54.5%*

*Was about 45% until Rivers went 19/24 against the Cardinals on Dec 31st.

Tom Brady's completion percentage, by month:

October: 62.4%

November: 63.7%

December: 65.8%

For those of you who are big believers in trends:

Philip Rivers' completion percentage, by month:

October: 64.6%

November: 62.8%

December: 54.5%*

*Was about 45% until Rivers went 19/24 against the Cardinals on Dec 31st.

Tom Brady's completion percentage, by month:

October: 62.4%

November: 63.7%

December: 65.8%

Philip Rivers Winning Percentage by month:

September: 100%
October: 60%
November: 100%
December: 100%

Tom Brady's Winning Percentage by month:

September: 66%
October: 100%
November: 75%
December: 80%

hmm...

Philip Rivers Winning Percentage by month:

September: 100%
October: 60%
November: 100%
December: 100%
January: 0%

Tom Brady's Winning Percentage by month:

September: 66%
October: 100%
November: 75%
December: 80%
January: 100%

hmm...

Hmmm is right...

I think the better question is what would Brady have done in his first year with our personnel. He probably would have won, oh, 14 games or so, the offense probably would have led the league in scoring, and he likely would have put up numbers real similar to PR's.

Why is that a better question? What has that personnel over there done in the post season?

What about the running backs?

And if you're going to compare personnel, do you really think Antowain Smith compares to LaDainian Tomlinson? Jermaine Wiggins/Rod Rutledge to Antonio Gates? It's not even close.

Anyway, the comparisons are stupid. Brady has done more with less, that much we know.
What does an running back have to do with completing passes? Last time I checked, Brady (or Rivers) never caught the ball for their TE's or receivers.

Denying the comparison's are equally stupid.

"Rivers has done a lot of the things that detractors noted Big Ben had not yet done--like leading his team to victory on the strength of his arm when nothing else was working."

When exactly was that ? The one game when LT didn't run for 100 yards against that powerhouse Arizona ? I like Rivers, and think very highly of him, but he has the best TE & RB in the game, and that's quite a bonus. As other have said, Brady had Antowain Smith and Troy Brown in his first year, and that's basically it. He also had taken over a team that was 5-11 the prior year.
LT couldn't have brought the team back from a 21 point deficit and scored 35 in the second half. A week later, he brought the team back from a 17 point deficit. In KC, Rivers had a bad start and gave up 2 turnovers early. He battled back to tie the game and stood on the sidelines while our D gave up the field goal.

In the final month, 'when he struggled', he was missing McCardell and Parker - his top two receivers.

If he wins in the 4th quarter this week, would the comparison become 'fair'? Jes wonderin...

SadThePatriots.....how long did it take you to think up THAT nick? ....here's a better one...

MongoloidTheCharger

I don't know much about Rivers beyond the stats as I haven't seen him play at all, I do think any half-way decent QB would be OK in that offense. It's the offense as a whole I worry about.

The Pats don't care who the QB is, they were 2nd in the league to Baltimore in defensive passer rating at 66.1. They turned the ball over 5 times to Peyton Manning and only lost by 7, and Chad Pennington threw for 300 yds against them last week and they still won by 21.

I'm not saying he sucks, but I'm not worried about him more than any other good NFL starter. He doesn't bring anything "special" in and of himself.

You have no idea. (but really, that is ok)
A good indicator of how Rivers is handling the pressure will be shown in his eyes before kickoff. If he looks nervous.....well, San Diego, you have a big problem. As well, if you see the Pats laughing and smiling.....its going to be a great day indeed.

Rivers is ADORED by everybody who's saw him play in high school, college and now the pros. He will never, ever have fear in his eyes (unless something happens to his family). The kid is a gamer and a half... He plays with excitement and joy. He's every bit as competitive as any player in the NFL and his own teammates think he plays with the mentality of a linebacker who plays quarterback.

I know I can't convince the Brady worshipers, but he's MUCH better than you think.

Perhaps the major reason Rivers has succeeded thus far this season is that like Brady was in 2001, he is a first-year starter not a rookie QB. Rivers was on the bench learning last year when the Bolts played the Pats as he was for practically all the games during the first two years of his career.

Comparing the regular season stats of Rivers and Brady as first-year starters suggests that Rivers is as good if not better than Brady was at this point in his career.

Rivers Brady
Year 2006 2001
Yards 3,388 2,843
Comp. % 61.9 63.9
TD's 22 18
Int. 9 12

Of course, what separates Brady from everyone else is his first-year starting and subsequent performances in the play-offs and SuperBowls.

But no one seriously projected Brady's great success before the fact of it. And likewise, no one should seriously discount the possibility of Rivers following along a similar path in the play-offs now that he (as Brady did in 2001) faces his first play-off game as an experienced successful first-year starter.

And the distinct possibility of Rivers following that path is why Pats Fans should be worried about Rivers.

Thanks for the polite post and please accept my respect for your enthusiasm about your QB--he looks like a good one!

However, nobody believed Brady until he "did the do" in SB XXXVI (recall that, at the time, there were skeptics who still wanted to bring Bledsoe back for the playoffs), so please allow us to reserve judgment on Mr. Rivers until he has put a Lombardi or two in the Chargers' trophy case.

Last edited:
Thanks for the polite post and please accept my respect for your enthusiasm about your QB--he looks like a good one!

However, nobody believed Brady until he "did the do" in SB XXXVI (recall that, at the time, there were skeptics who still wanted to bring Bledsoe back for the playoffs), so please allow us to reserve judgment on Mr. Rivers until he has put a Lombardi or two in the Chargers' trophy case.

Thanks and of course "doing the do" is what it is all about. :)

Again the point was that at this point in time Rivers has the same opportunity to do so as did Brady in his first year as a starter.

And for the record, let me state that, while we may win this game because of Rivers, we will definitely not lose it because of Rivers.

And for the record, let me state that, while we may win this game because of Rivers, we will definitely not lose it because of Rivers.

Ahhhhh..... I actually think it's gonna come down to the opposite. If Rivers (& co) effectivly neutralize BB schemes, then Rivers could very well win this game.

If not, You could VERY WELL lose this game because of POOR play (and throws) of Rivers. Patriots HAVE a nagging way of MAKING QB's pay for mistakes, particularly in the post-season.

Yeah he is having a 2001 Brady like season and the same could be said to just about any young QB who is having a good season in his first year as a starter. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes