PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Pats drafted Dowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler is bye - bye.

Good riddance.

Maybe. Might be Wilhite, Wheatler or even Bodden though. Bodden has looked good, but 30 year old players coming back from missing an entire year or injury don't have great track records.

Ever hear this "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".. .

And those who think that every little event in every player's college history is meaningful, are condemned to quiver in their mom's basement, afeared of everything.

Lots of guys get hurt in college.

I've been calling him a safety, but I don't think of it as selling him short. I just think he's versatile, can obviously play CB but also has the intelligence, awareness, size and physicality for safety. Think of him as a bigger, faster, smarter Meriweather.

Or perhaps Eugene Wilson would be the better comparison for Dowling since he was actually converted to safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjPU5YxvTA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The thing I really like from that clip is just seeing what a really high character guy Dowling is. Very humble. Voted a team leader but would rather seeing himself as 'serving' his teammates. His coach would be proud to call him a son. Those are really very encouraging signs about this pick already. If Dowling can stay healthy, I have no doubt about his ability to fit in and work hard in the Patriots system to become an outstanding football player.

Last edited:
Was listening to Zolak and Gresch on the radio, they were talking to the current LB coach at Virginia, Vincent Brown and the former HC Al Groh. Both echoed that he is very coachable kid, with much upside and a high skill level. A big studier, who will fit into this system very well...

Maybe. Might be Wilhite, Wheatler or even Bodden though. Bodden has looked good, but 30 year old players coming back from missing an entire year or injury don't have great track records.

Wheatley's already gone. It'll be the worst of wilhite or Butler I would guess, plus we have Bodden taking another spot.

My only issue is we could have had Jimmy Smith from Colo if we hadnt tarded out. Now we get Ras-I who is often hurt. I would have rather stayed put and taken Smith. I dont hate thsi pick and I still have faith in Bodden not sure where he fits long term cb/s.

Cool video, hopefully the kid works out. Nice lil trio with McCourty Bodden and Dowling.

Maybe.Bodden has looked good, but 30 year old players coming back from missing an entire year or injury don't have great track records.

I thought the same and had CB as a need in case Bodden could not return to form.

Wilhite will be the odd man out...Butler WILL be a roster member of the NEP this fall.

And those who think that every little event in every player's college history is meaningful, are condemned to quiver in their mom's basement, afeared of everything.

Lots of guys get hurt in college.

hehehe.... Son, If you saw my house, which is on the water, you'd crap you pants.. Don't put me in the same category like some of these others..

Now on to players getting hurt in college.. Sure it happens.. But Ras has a long list of injuries in college, very much like wheatley.. Both 2nd rounders who had 2nd round talent but couldn't get on the field.

For me, its the biggest head scratcher in the draft after not addressing a major flaw on our team (OLB)..

hehehe.... Son, If you saw my house, which is on the water, you'd crap you pants.. Don't put me in the same category like some of these others..

Ah, so typical. Its sad that you can't have a conversation without turning it into a **** comparison.

Wilhite will be the odd man out...Butler WILL be a roster member of the NEP this fall.

What makes you think that? Wilhite was a significantly better player than Butler last year.

This was the best pick Belichick made in my opinion.

I've wanted a big press corner in this defense for years, a guy similar to Sean Smith. A guy that could matchup with opposing big/tall WR's and all those "move"/receiving TE's that have given us trouble over the years. There were two guys I wanted: Dowling and Jimmy Smith. I preferred Dowling due to his physicality and tackling ability.

We've gone far too long with 5'9 or 5'10 smurfs like Hobbs, Wheatley, Hobbs, Butler, etc who all have struggled with bigger receivers (remember what Braylon Edwards did to Darius Butler in Week 2 of 2010?)

This guy gives you a tall, physical corner who can play in press vs those bigger WR's (Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marhsall, Vincent Jackson, Calvin Johnson, etc). He can also compete better vs those guys on jump balls, and he won't allow them easy releases like guys like Butler and Wilhite did.

He also gives you the versatility to put on those "move' TE's who are used heavily in the receiving game. This guy is big enough, fast enough, and physical enough to cover guys like Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates, etc.

Take Aaron Hernandez for example. If you're an opposing team, how do you choose to cover him? He's too fast for LB's. He's too fast for most safeties. He's too big/strong for most slot corners. Put a big CB like Dowling on him that can match his size and speed, and be physical with him at the line.

What makes you think that? Wilhite was a significantly better player than Butler last year.

No he wasn't. After Butler was pulled the first couple of games, he had a great season as the third CB. He was awful early, then sat, then built up his playing time. Wilhite was hurt early, then played the slot well. But Wilhite never played outside like Butler had the first two games. Both players struggled outside. Both played well in the slot.

This guy is ticketed for safety. Just watch. Can't slot him into the CB spot.

I think most people's concern with Dowling is his ability to say healthy. I don't think there is too much doubt of his abilities, but if he can't stay on the field what good is he? I like the fact that we took Dowling, however I thought it was just a little too early. Think we could have traded down a few spots and nabbed him. Must not have got the right offer.

I think most people's concern with Dowling is his ability to say healthy. I don't think there is too much doubt of his abilities, but if he can't stay on the field what good is he? I like the fact that we took Dowling, however I thought it was just a little too early. Think we could have traded down a few spots and nabbed him. Must not have got the right offer.

The Pats did get trade down offers. But consider that they decided to stay put and take Dowling. That's how high they are on this prospect. Also consider that at the VERY NEXT pick, the Buffalo Bills selected a CB.

Having six CB's on thr roster is very feasible and Arrington plays special teams

The reality is it's a QB driven and you can't have too many CB's league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back