PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Overreaction Is Usually Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem isn't that we got our *** kicked.
The problem isn't that our defense looks marginal at best.
The problem isn't that Darius Butler and our OLB's look like total liabilities right now.

The problem is that this 2nd half offense has been a re-occuring theme since we lost our last true OC. Last year we had the 'no 3rd option' and 'Brady is rusty' excuses but this year we don't. We have plenty of weapons, Brady has looked in tip top form at certain times, and the pass protection has been great, yet the problems still arise. This is with Darrel Revis out for that half. It's a VERY worrisome issue that we are going to rightfully hear about until the team proves they have overcome it. To be totally honest, I would have been less concerned right now if we came out, stunk from the very beginning in each phase and lost 52-0 than with a deja vu loss like this. It's a clear problem with this offense since exactly one year ago, no overreaction until proven otherwise. Defensively, I agree it's a work in progress and I'm not going to 'overreact' there.

The Patriots played one bad half of football on the road against a team that was in the AFC Championship game last year.

Not the end of the world to me.

You can't really make bold statements after 2 weeks.

The Patriots played one bad half of football on the road against a team that was in the AFC Championship game last year.

Not the end of the world to me.

You can't really make bold statements after 2 weeks.

Agree completely. Please tell the Jets that as they believe the season is over.

Zach-Galifianakis_finger.jpg

The problem isn't that we got our *** kicked.
The problem isn't that our defense looks marginal at best.
The problem isn't that Darius Butler and our OLB's look like total liabilities right now.

The problem is that this 2nd half offense has been a re-occuring theme since we lost our last true OC. Last year we had the 'no 3rd option' and 'Brady is rusty' excuses but this year we don't. We have plenty of weapons, Brady has looked in tip top form at certain times, and the pass protection has been great, yet the problems still arise. This is with Darrel Revis out for that half. It's a VERY worrisome issue that we are going to rightfully hear about until the team proves they have overcome it. To be totally honest, I would have been less concerned right now if we came out, stunk from the very beginning in each phase and lost 52-0 than with a deja vu loss like this. It's a clear problem with this offense since exactly one year ago, no overreaction until proven otherwise. Defensively, I agree it's a work in progress and I'm not going to 'overreact' there.
If Randy Moss makes the catches he is supposed to make it is an entirely different 2nd half.
Either Moss picks it up, or Brady redefines what "Moss is open means"
As of yesterday Brady made the right decisions, and got the wrong results because Moss didnt deliver what Brady has come to expect from him.
Before anyone calls this covering for Brady, my first reaction was we lost because of Brady until I went back watched the tape and saw what he saw

If Randy Moss makes the catches he is supposed to make it is an entirely different 2nd half.
As of yesterday Brady made the right decisions, and got the wrong results because Moss didnt deliver what Brady has come to expect from him.
Before anyone calls this covering for Brady, my first reaction was we lost because of Brady until I went back watched the tape and saw what he saw

Are you talking about the TD he dropped in the first half? Yeah he should have caught that one, I didn't see any major drops on his part in the 2nd half. But the 1st half drops are beside the point because like I said, the fact that we lost this game doesn't bother me. We went into halftime up by 4 and totally **** the bed in the 2nd half with the offense being totally inept. It's a recurring theme with the offense.

Some fans over react because they think they see everything they need to see on their HD TV.

They are not in the locker room

do not know what nagging injuries may be present

do not know how any given player is feeling that day

what serious troubles may be on their mind.

The typical fan may at best have 25% at best of the needed information to really understand why things went good or bad on that play or day. With Belichick that number shrinks accordingly.

They don't know if a ball is over thrown or under thrown because they do not know the exact play that was being run. Who made a block, who missed a block ... there's just way too much information that is unknown without being in the locker room, practice field or in the huddle.

It is equally absurd to say a team with 7 new starters on defense is the same team as last year.

Ninko, Wright, Chung and Butler all had significant playing time last year. Bit of a stretch to say they're new to BB's ways of doing business. Unless you live in an alternate reality.

I agree overreacting that the Jets offense is any good after 1 game contrary to all of the previous evidence is shaky:cool:

I agree overreacting that the Jets offense may be the worst in the NFL after 1 game against the NFLs BEST DEFENSE contrary to all of the previous evidence is shaky :cool:

You must have forgotten you predicted the entire Jets offense for the season thread based on play against a Raven's defense that is going to be ranked in the top 3 of 2010 - to remind you.

Last edited:

Your homerism is starting to do cartwheels. First of all, if Moss makes the catches he is supposed to make implies that he is supposed to win a couple of jump balls. Furthermore, IF is your motto. You sound like a Raider or Ram fan. Always, IF this, it would have been a different game. No more excuses for IFs. You know what? IF the Jets had actually blitzed well, this game would have been 41-10. IF Darrelle Revis, Jason Taylor, and Nick Mangold hadn't been injured, this game is a huge blowout. If either team can play this card, it's the Jets. The Pats got really fortunate with injuries and variables and still lost.

If Moss does make a catch, why does it matter? The Patriots couldn't move the ball in the second half, so why does this make you think they would win? Assuming a 50 yard TD? Or the 15 yarder that got tipped. How does that change the game?

The offensive troubles are simple, and you are trying to dig too deep. Brady got overanxious when Revis came out, the Patriots offense was impatient and looking for the big strike rather than doing what worked. It happens. They lost, and they gotten beaten pretty badly. There is just no scenario where you can say we lost because of a few plays. The Jets dominated us in the second half. Absolutely dominated us.

I agree overreacting that the Jets offense may be the worst in the NFL after 1 game against the NFLs BEST DEFENSE contrary to all of the previous evidence is shaky :cool:

You must have forgotten you predicted the entire Jets offense for the season thread based on play against a Raven's defense that is going to be ranked in the top 3 of 2010 - to remind you.

Ouch. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back