Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why Obama's stand on gay marriage is so brave and important

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 11, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

This link does a fine job at summarizing the problem with the historically bigoted states. For those who pretend that the right isn't racist (just that black people are so stupid that they are being fooled by the Democrats), own up to the personal responsibility that your party, the Republican Party, is a party of bigotry. If you want, defend bullying, job discrimination, homophobia, racism, Islamophobia, but stop lying to yourselves about the reality that wherever your party is strong so is bigotry. Although there are a handful of anomalies, there's a clear correlation between homophobia and red states.

Gay rights in the US, state by state | World news | guardian.co.uk

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Funny Gay rights activist like to glom onto comparing themselves to the civil rights movement when polls that black people (overwhelming democrat) as a group are among the most opposed to gay rights.

Are those black dems bigots?

3. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

It says in an USA Today article that 51% agree with him. As you all know, he has been kind of brushing aside the question the past three years in office. But now, he has come out with that revelation.

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Why is that funny? or "glomming on"?

It's actually pretty sad, when you think about it, I think.

I'm not sure if you're correct that blacks are among the most opposed -- depends on what segments you want to look at -- but sure, many blacks are homophobes. I don't think that's any secret.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Trying to equate the 2 movements when the black people who were the focus of the civil rights movement reject the comparison.

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Many black dems are apparently bigots, but my guess is that the obstacle has less to do with race than with religion. Religious folk are the obstacle across the board, and they have more influence in the Republican than in the Democratic Party.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There was nothing courageous about Obama's move on GM. It was politically expedient and timely. What the hell is he supposed to do? Use his political capital stupidly? And I do mean "capital" as he showed at Clooney's house the next night. You think everyone in that shack didn't have a heads-up before the "announcement"?

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Funny thing is it was all planned and they tried to make it look spur of the moment ... but goofball Biden screwed it up ... :rofl: Oh well ... regardless of the timing or intent it is the right thing IMO.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 8 / -8

Yeah, that would be like anti-choice people trying to coopt the memory of the Holocaust to push their "aspirin between the knees"/the-state-says-bear-your rapist's-young agenda.

Since the majority of Jews vote pro-choice, there's no possible comparison, by your lights, 13.

By my lights, the problem with the comparison is not popularity among the group that suffered the previous indignity; the problem is there's no comparison from first principles.

By contrast, treating people equally means blacks, gays, etc. Equality is equality. Folks you guys hate like Jackson and Sharpton have figured that out and as the saying goes, "evolved." I wonder what those polls look like today.

PFnV

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

If he loses the election over this, it would be OK as I knew he stood on the side of justice, equality and the constitution and did not pander to the religious right who want this country to be some type of theocracy...

Factoid of the day, did you know that Thomas Jefferson, a unitarian, took a bible and cut and pasted all of the passages of the new testament and put them in sequential order. Interestlingly he left out the immaculate conception and the resurrection... next time someone argues what our founding fathers intended will have to remember that..

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Of course he used it in a timely and politically expedient way. Are you saying that he would have been more courageous if he made the announcement in a way that garnered less publicity and less support for the issue? What's courageous about that?

12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Look it, there's something to that, sure. An analogy might be where Lincoln also played a little both sides of the middle on slavery until he thought he could pull it off. Thing is he wound up losing his life when the last straw for Booth was his advocating the right to vote for some blacks. That was brave Patters.

The instant contrast between him and all other republicans regarding gay marriage is disingenuous by the Dems. Until a couple of days ago Obama and Biden both were insistent that marriage was between one man and one woman. Sounds awfully republican talky pointy doesn't it? How many republicans are equally afraid of not being timely with their base? How many are waiting for that politically expedient moment that won't be political suicide? More than some disingenuous Dems would like to admit. Instead now they can act like he's always been for gay marriage and pubies never have and never will. His announcement now is important I'll give you that, but brave? not so much.

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

I view it as brave for reasons already mentioned, this could cause him the election..

Consider the context, it could be a good political move.. contrast Obama's comments to last week when Romney was pressured to get rid of Grenell by Bryan Fischer( a religious whack job), then after Romney got rid of him he was cajoled by Fischer as being weak... this week Romney was accused of beating up a gay kid... later today Romney is speaking at the commencement of Liberty University..

Politicians pander, unfortunately, during these never ending election cycles.. it will, in all probability, get worse and this is a microcosm of what is to come.

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Patters, you and I have different standards for the use of the word "brave". Ellen DeGeneris and Adam Lambert are not "brave" to come out of the closet. I reserve it for kids fighting a deadly disease, people who rush into a burning building to save someone who can't get out, a kid in school who faces up to a bully knowing he could get his but kicked, Beowulf taking on Grendel, soldiers who charge up a beach cliff to take out a German gun nest, even a little girl trying out for an all-boy's baseball team....stuff like that. What Obama did poses no threat to his or his family's life or health. He will be a millionaire and set for life no matter what. What he risks is the possibility of upsetting enough people to cause him to lose an election and he will no longer be the President of the United States. You may think that would be bad for the country, but it will have no effect on his life. In fact, it might end up saving it in the long run. I have always had a concern that he would be killed if elected. He is the most hated president I can remember (except for maybe Nixon) and that was before he ever set foot in the Oval Office. I think Obama is brave for other reasons but not for saying that gays should be allowed to marry. A little scale would be appropriate.

15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

If Obama looses the election the liberals will blame "Homophobia" when in reality Obama sucks as a President on everything from the Economy to "The Obama Wars" especially the economy.

Gitmo...........:singing:

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

If Obama wanted to play it safe, he would have come out forcefully for civil unions. It is anyone's guess as to how much his support of marriage will help or hurt him. He took a courageous stand the day after a state he won in 2008 voted against gay marriage by a 3-2 margin. His stand makes it harder for other dems to oppose gay marriage, and chances are many of them will come on board. Polls show so far, and I'm sure Obama did his own polling, that his stand did not cost much, but there are more democrats and independents who are less likely to vote for him than there are republicans and independents who are more likely to vote for him as a result of his stand. What he did was brave in the context of politics, just as a worker who stands up against racism or sexism is brave in the context of the workplace.

17. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

The validity of the comparison lies in its merits or lack thereof, not what some blacks 50 years later say.

Still not sure how it's funny, though.

18. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 8 / -8

I loved when Keith Ellison was sworn in using a Qur'an. Know why it's not a big fat right-wing talking point? It was Jefferson's Qur'an.

19. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

The kind of bravery you're talking about is relative to the individual. Years ago, I met a woman who loved sky sports (like sky diving) and I told her that I was living in a foreign country (I lived in Norway at the time). She said, "I'd never have the nerve to live in a foreign country." I work with people unafraid of physical confrontation but do not have the courage to stand up to authority, even to their parents.

By that measure, the only people who are brave are those who are forced outside of their comfort zone. If I had to break up a brawl, it would be hard for me, so it would brave of me. If I had to run into a burning building to rescue a friend, it would be very difficult for me, so it would be brave of me. If challenged my boss at the risk of being fired, that would be less difficult for me, so it wouldn't be brave.

What Obama did was objectively brave from a political context because there are significant risks, especially given that NC just voted 3-2 against gay marriage; from an individual context obviously politics doesn't scare him.

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

The "Judeo Christian Traditions" of our founding fathers..