PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why not trade Tate to Arizona or San Fran???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean doesn't fit out system? What is our system that a WR who runs intermediate and deep routes doesn't fit it?

Why is it that when there is a player someone thinks isn't worth keeping on our team, they assume the other 31 one teams are so hot for the guy, we can just pick a team and trade with them?

If you wouldn't give another team a fifth round pick for Tate, why think that others will?

Next year we have Edelman, Tate and Price under contract. We often keep six WRs, with one a ST guy. Cut Slater, keep Tate.

the BOLD text is exactly what I want to happen, but BB loves his special teams ace.:eek:

Fitzgerald has a "no franchise tag" clause in his contract, assuming he doesnt sign a new deal with them prior to next season we definitely have a shot at him.

Ah did not know that thanks.

I'm I the only one that remembers that Tate was one the the most dangerous KO return guys in the league last year???? Listen Tate was basically a rookie last year, and everybody knows that most players make their biggest strides forward between their rookie and second year, he is still under his rookie deal, I see no reason not to keep him, he is another year removed from surgery, and at the very least, is a stand-out KO return man. Situational football, gentleman that is what we preach around here...

"Com'on Fred, give the guy a chance"- BB

i think he's a good KR but i would not be shocked if he was cut BB does not have good luck with 3rd round picks

I'm 99% sure he was a second rounder. We hit well in the 3rd and we r ify and (below NFL average) for the 2nd round.

I'm I the only one that remembers that Tate was one the the most dangerous KO return guys in the league last year????

Nope, you're not. But as discussed earlier in this thread, with the rule changes this year the value of a kickoff returner has plummeted.

Nope, you're not. But as discussed earlier in this thread, with the rule changes this year the value of a kickoff returner has plummeted.

Where did you get that from, or is that your opinion? I have yet to hear a coach say oR is now pointless. Seems more like a bunch of fans just assuming and speculating.

Where did you get that from, or is that your opinion? I have yet to hear a coach say oR is now pointless. Seems more like a bunch of fans just assuming and speculating.

Nobody said "pointless." What we said was that the rules were changed with the direct aim of dramatically reducing the number of kicks returned/returnable. How can that not reduce the value of the kick returner relative to other roles?

However, KR is agruably his strength. The kickoff rule change (now from 35 yard line) reduces the importance of KRs in general and means that players like Tate have a bit less vlaue than they did last year.

Wouldn't a good KR be even more valuable with the rule change? Don't you want someone back there who is good enough to take the ball out of the endzone and make something happen?

or whomever? he would never pass through waivers and we could get back our late round picks we gave up for ocho... Tate will be odd man out why not make the trade and get late picks? I'd hate to see him a NYJ

I like the idea, let's trade Tate to AZ for Fitzgerald, so long as they agree to pay for Fitzgerald's salary this season;)

Wouldn't a good KR be even more valuable with the rule change? Don't you want someone back there who is good enough to take the ball out of the endzone and make something happen?

Why would you risk the crappy field position by taking the ball out of the endzone. The kick coverage team will be on top of the KR so much faster. The idea is that you take your 20 yards and thats it, not make a bone headed play that results in crappy field position most of the time.

Why would you risk the crappy field position by taking the ball out of the endzone. The kick coverage team will be on top of the KR so much faster. The idea is that you take your 20 yards and thats it, not make a bone headed play that results in crappy field position most of the time.

That's where the value of a good returner who can take it out of the end zone and get more than 20 yards come in. Tate's got the ability to take it out of the end zone and get at least 20 yards.

‪Brandon Tate Kickoff Return - Week 4, 2010‬‏ - YouTube

why this hate for Tate?
next year Ocho,Welker and Branch will be FA and we cut guys with one/two year?:bricks:

Probably a talent thing. His biggest year in college was 25 receptions so he was mediocre there. TB does not trust him. He was our starting WR last year for many games but you would never know it. KR this year is a challenged art with the new rules. Chad Jackson was faster as was Bethel. How did that work for them?

Other than that, he is fine.

DW Toys

Is there any basis for the speculation? Or is this simply the latest iteration of "cut/trade <insert rookie here>" because he didn't set the world on fire his first year in the league?

Thats exactly what it is.

Tate had a good rookie year. He just wasn't Randy Moss. SolderKing is a ******.

I think Tate has some value at the WR position.

Thats the difference between Tate and Aiken. Aiken sucked as a WR, but was an all world ST player like Tate. With this many good players and so few open roster spots, the more hats you can wear, the more value you have.

Stats of their most recent seasons in a Pats uniform:
Code:
Player  Games    Rec    Yards    YPC    Long    TD    FD
Aiken     14      20    326      16.3   81      2     12
Tate      16      24    432      18.0   65      3     14

Nobody said "pointless." What we said was that the rules were changed with the direct aim of dramatically reducing the number of kicks returned/returnable. How can that not reduce the value of the kick returner relative to other roles?

You don't think the rules are going to change the way teams kickoff? I think we're going to see a lot more high kicks that don't make it into the endzone.

You don't think the rules are going to change the way teams kickoff? I think we're going to see a lot more high kicks that don't make it into the endzone.

Teams don't care so much whether an offense starts off on the 16 over the 20 as they care if they allow a KO return for a touchdown once every 20 times. If anything the new rules will give power kickers even more of an incentive to pound the ball out the back of the endzone.

Teams don't care so much whether an offense starts off on the 16 over the 20 as they care if they allow a KO return for a touchdown once every 20 times. If anything the new rules will give power kickers even more of an incentive to pound the ball out the back of the endzone.

Agreed. ST coaches defending KO returns will take a touchback any time they can get one and we're going to see a lot more touchbacks.

That's where the value of a good returner who can take it out of the end zone and get more than 20 yards come in. Tate's got the ability to take it out of the end zone and get at least 20 yards.

But a good returner knows better than to return a kick that lands 9 yards deep in the end zone (especially given that the coverage team will also be starting off 5 yards closer than in the past.) A touchback is a touchback.

That said, looking closer at the numbers I think I exaggerated the effect a little. Back in the '80s when the kickoff point was the 35, about 30% of kickoffs resulted in touchbacks. That percentage was halved when they moved the kicks back, but it has climbed since as kickers, like everybody else in the league, have gotten bigger and stronger and better trained. So we can expect the new TB % to be around 40%, and Tate's # of returns per game to be around 1.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back