PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Not Klecko At Olb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I stand corrected. He's slow, small AND can't stay healthy. Yup, the other 31 teams are going to be lining up to sign him.

Too short, too fat, too slow.:bricks:

ClosingTime said:
What is the facination with Klecko? Is it just the family name? Bottomline, the guy just isn't that talented. And he's waaaaay too slow and stiff to play OLB.

For once you've ripped a Pats player and I agree with you. I don't understand the fascination with Klecko either. He is a waste of a roster spot.

RayClay said:
Too short, too fat, too slow.:bricks:

I do not believe Klecko will make the team this year. His project is done. To say he is too fat is sheer ignorance. You have obviously never seen Dan Klecko play football. You have obviously never sat at the edge of the feild two hours before gametime and watched Klecko run the feild for an hour to warm up while his team is in the locker room. You have obviously never seen this guy's motor and drive. It is sad that he does not have the body to fit the motor. To say he is fat is stupidity. He is one of the hardest workers you will ever see. Hard work though does not equal nfl success. I would love to see you compare his 575 lb bench press to the path you wore between the fridge and the couch.

Yes Dan works hard, has the heart of a lion, BUT.........

As I see it he has to drop about 25lbs and retain his strength or gain 4 to 5 inches in height to fit a position on the Pats roster at this point.

The height doesn't need any explanation.?

The weight? At 5'11" around 250lbs, with his strength, he could be a very good lead blocker at FB. Also the lose of weight would-should make him faster.? Plus he can catch a ball out of the back field. Ya I know we drafted a FB maybe.?

Anyway I really would like to see him find his niche here, but,........oh well, just thinking out loud so to speak. Just think, our own Allstate Insurance. :bricks:

A month ago for fun I suggested on this board that Klecko would take over Mcginest's elephant position this year. Now I was half joking and I believe that Klecko has some qualities that would make him a good run stuffing outside linebacker. The pros:

1: The man is extremely strong and pretty quick in short space.
2: He has the bulk to stop the run and take on linemen.

Negatives:

1: He's short with short arms. He may struggle againts mammoth Tackles and struggle to keep their hands off him. I could see him getting engulfed and being unable to find the ball. This is a problem he has as a NT.
2: Lack of coverage skills and shortness which effects his ability to block passing lanes misdirect receivers at the line of scrimmage.

I think his best chance to make a impact is in the Ted Johnson role as a run stuffing ILB.

It's always my hope that a player like Klecko doesn't make the team because another player is more valuable and makes the decision a no brainer. Same with any player. Looking at the depth chart it seems there's a lot of possibilities for that to happen with Klecko this year. Maybe a guy may seem less valuable but has much more upside. It's not likely Klecko will get that much better. But I don't make those decisions.

Digger44 said:
I do not believe Klecko will make the team this year. His project is done. To say he is too fat is sheer ignorance. You have obviously never seen Dan Klecko play football. You have obviously never sat at the edge of the feild two hours before gametime and watched Klecko run the feild for an hour to warm up while his team is in the locker room. You have obviously never seen this guy's motor and drive. It is sad that he does not have the body to fit the motor. To say he is fat is stupidity. He is one of the hardest workers you will ever see. Hard work though does not equal nfl success. I would love to see you compare his 575 lb bench press to the path you wore between the fridge and the couch.

The poster asked why not OLB? I was being facetious, but nose tackles have guts hanging over their belts, not OLBs.

I like Klecko, he was a fine college football player. He has had ample opportunity to carve out a position in the pros and hasn't done it.

Not demeaning his work ethic or personality. Compare his physique and athleticism to Willie McGinest and I believe my statement holds water.

So Klecko and I both have guts. How does that prove your point? I'm not suggesting I should play OLB.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
RayClay said:
The poster asked why not OLB? I was being facetious, but nose tackles have guts hanging over their belts, not OLBs.

So who does have OLBs hanging over their belts? :D

Count me in the crowd who wishes we had canned Klecko and kept Eckel instead of vice versa. . . .

I can't see Klecko as an OLB myself. In fact I can't really see him making the team this year, sorry to say. I like the guy, but I just don't think he can do any more for the Pats than what he has already shown.

Why not, indeed? Klecko's a student of the game, and our depth chart is very different at LB this year over last. I think he'll get another look at OLB during TC. Anything is possible.

he was injured last year?

primetime said:
He has, in fact, received playing time on several clear passing downs. Most of the Patriots rotation comes with moving linebackers onto or off of the line, not necessarily different personnel aside from maybe Jarvis Green.

Klecko was injured part of last year and pretty much all of 2 years ago. That's why you haven't seen him on the field.
was that the blown knee on the swing pass? was that '05 or was it '04? otherwise i don't remember reading that anywhere.
when i look at him i see football player. but he IS one ofose negative tweeners----too small for DL, too slow for any LB position. unlike willie ray, who was too quick for OLs and too big for pass-blocking RBs like marshall faulk or edgerrin to deal with.
he must be reallyreally heavy-footed that he can't play an ILB position. IMO he could become the next larry izzo, and that's about it.

Last edited:
*sipping Kool-Aid*... If he's been with us this long he must bring something to the table. Exhibit A: Lawyer Milloy...

PFS82, I'm surprised no one pointed you to this thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=36003&highlight=joyner

Part of the message there is that the Pats very often flex defensive linemen and linebackers. That suggests that a "tweener" player like Klecko might find a role somewhere between the two -- whether nominally as a line-backer or nominally as a defensive lineman.

I don't think it will happen though: I'm a proud member of the Klecko claque but I have to admit that last season seemed to show that it is unlikely that he will develop into a significant player for the Patriots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back