PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Not Klecko At Olb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post even though Ive been reading the boards for a few years now so take it easy on me. :)

I personally feel that Klecko is a football lover, a passionate guy - someone who would put 100 % effort. Now, this alone doesnt mean he should be on the team or play a certain position. However it looks like he was too small to play his nose tackle position in our version of the 3-4.

An experiment to inside (or MLB linebacker) seems not to have worked - in this case he is too big for that position & thus not enough speed to cover.

However the outside linebacker position has never been tried- here his size/speed ratio would seem to fit. Probably would need to get down to 275 lbs. if not already. Close to Mcginest size.

From what I've seen in preseason games over the last couple of years it seems that he is pretty quick once the ball is snapped, whether it was as nose tackle or even more important whenever I saw him as an outside DE. He seemed to be able to get pressure on the quarterback coming off the edges.

I see him as a potentially great pass rusher, & pretty good in stopping the run (due to his size/strength)from the outside linebacker position. Obviously he would have to work on the dropping into coverage but not as much as MLB.

Im thinking if he can do the covering & jamming of tight ends/running backs then this might be the positon for him. Or if he's only strong in rushing the passer & stopping the run, then he could share that position & be brought in for certain situations.

Any ways was interested in your thoughts,

Peace

PATSFANSINCE82

Last edited by a moderator:
There's some advocates for that here. I'm not one. I don't think he can do it. Watching him run makes me feel fast - and I'm not fast.

BelichickFan said:
There's some advocates for that here. I'm not one. I don't think he can do it. Watching him run makes me feel fast - and I'm not fast.

Ive only seen him be mentioned at MLB

PATSFANSINCE82 said:
Ive only seen him be mentioned at MLB
That might be, I'm even more against it at OLB.

What is the facination with Klecko? Is it just the family name? Bottomline, the guy just isn't that talented. And he's waaaaay too slow and stiff to play OLB.

PATSFANSINCE82 said:
However the outside linebacker position has never been tried- here his size/speed ratio would seem to fit. Probably would need to get down to 275 lbs. if not already. Close to Mcginest size.

Welcome!

My guess is that Klecko hasn't been tried at OLB because his size/speed combo doesn't fit. You're generally looking for players who are both tall and explosive at that position, and Klecko is neither. Jeremy Mincey was considered a 2nd or 3rd tier prospect because of his iffy speed and athleticism...Klecko is a shade slower, and a good 4 inches shorter.

ClosingTime said:
What is the facination with Klecko? Is it just the family name? Bottomline, the guy just isn't that talented. And he's waaaaay too slow and stiff to play OLB.

Mark me down among the fans who believe that Klecko's days here in NE are at an end. Having said that, they guy plays with heart... he gives everything he has and you can see that plainly when you watch him play.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the physical attributes needed to make it in the NFL. Maybe he can find a niche... I hope he does... I just haven't seen enough so far to justify holding a spot on the roster for him when there are other players who could probably help the team a lot more.

If he proves me wrong, so be it. I wouldn't bet on it though.

ClosingTime said:

Oh, he's talented. He just doesn't have a position in a 3-4 defense. He would be in the DT rotation in Chicago, Indy, Philly, Tampa, and other 4-3 schemes that prefer quickness over size.

Patsfansince82, welcome aboard and thanks for asking the question.

My feeling, which seems to be the general consensus, is that the organization LOVES Klecko and STILL hasn't found a position for him, try as they might. The odds that Belichick, et al, haven't thought of this possibility are pretty low, obviously, so as much as you and I might want this to work out - and as much as there IS a need at that position - it looks like this is the end of the line for Klecko. I expect Mangini or Crennel to pick him up, though.

A brave first post, and I commend you for that. Keep it up.

Last edited:
Your opinion is he's talented enough. Bellichick obviosuly has thought otherwise. He a good special teamer and that's about it. And there's no way he'd be in the rotation of Chicago with that DL, are you kidding me?
If his name were Smith would anyone care about this guy? If he wasn't white?
With all the injuries the Pats had last year Klecko still didn't see the field.
He's simply to slow and stiff to be a LB and he's too short and small to be a DL.
It's always a guessing game trying to find which tweeners can be molded into a 3-4 LB. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Klecko has played OLB. He played there in 2004 before being injured.
There were a few plays where he seemed lost, but he did look like an interesting pass rush option.

Personally, I think it would be his best spot on a limited basis (along with rushing on 3rd down from anywhere on the line) but he is flawed and incomplete---at least at this point---to be there on all downs.

ClosingTime said:
Your opinion is he's talented enough. Bellichick obviosuly has thought otherwise. He a good special teamer and that's about it. And there's no way he'd be in the rotation of Chicago with that DL, are you kidding me?
If his name were Smith would anyone care about this guy? If he wasn't white?
With all the injuries the Pats had last year Klecko still didn't see the field.
He's simply to slow and stiff to be a LB and he's too short and small to be a DL.
It's always a guessing game trying to find which tweeners can be molded into a 3-4 LB. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Now you're just showing ignorance. You're better than that. Of course Belichick thinks he's a talented player. He's kept him on the team for three years. For all his shortcomings, Klecko is neither slow for his size nor stiff. BB has used him as a receiver out of the backfield. He's probably the strongest guy on the team as well.

He's not a 3-4 tweener, never was. He was a 4th round pick that BB thought could back up at NT, using strength, quickness, and leverage to compensate for lack of bulk. It didn't work. When he's released, I'll bet Lovie Smith is one of the first to contact him.

Last edited:
Klecko IS quick - for a DT. But he is not quick or rather fast enough in space to play OLB. Too many square yards to cover, plus you're matched against faster players. Situationally, Klecko can be used to create mismatches in our favor but those situations are usually not enough to get him dressed consistently for gameday.

Lovie Smith better call fast, because Dungy and Polian will be knocking on Klecko's door.

dryheat44 said:
He's not a 3-4 tweener, never was. He was a 4th round pick that BB thought could back up at NT, using strength, quickness, and leverage to compensate for lack of bulk. It didn't work. When he's released, I'll bet Lovie Smith is one of the first to contact him.
So he was too small to play on the line and not fast enough to play LB. Isn't that what I said?
If Lovie Smith picks him up I'll eat my hat.
Sure, all these coaches are lining up to sign a guy that couldn't see the field even with multpile injuries at his presumed position, if in fact he has a position.

Last edited:
ClosingTime said:
So he was too small to play on the line and not fast enough to play LB. Isn't that what I said?

Yes. In a 3-4 alignment as played by the Pats and Steelers. Believe me, I've led the anti-Klecko group here for two years. Deriding him as the "Team Mascot", and mocking the "Dan Klecko Fan Club" on this board.

But get him as a DT in a 4-3, and he can be productive.

PATSFANSINCE82 said:
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post even though Ive been reading the boards for a few years now so take it easy on me. :)

I personally feel that Klecko is a football lover, a passionate guy - someone who would put 100 % effort. Now, this alone doesnt mean he should be on the team or play a certain position. However it looks like he was too small to play his nose tackle position in our version of the 3-4.

An experiment to inside (or MLB linebacker) seems not to have worked - in this case he is too big for that position & thus not enough speed to cover.

From what I've seen in preseason games over the last couple of years it seems that he is pretty quick once the ball is snapped, whether it was as nose tackle or even more important whenever I saw him as an outside DE. He seemed to be able to get pressure on the quarterback coming off the edges.

I see him as a potentially great pass rusher, & pretty good in stopping the run (due to his size/strength)from the outside linebacker position. Obviously he would have to work on the dropping into coverage but not as much as MLB.

Im thinking if he can do the covering & jamming of tight ends/running backs then this might be the positon for him. Or if he's only strong in rushing the passer & stopping the run, then he could share that position & be brought in for certain situations.

Any ways was interested in your thoughts,

Peace

PATSFANSINCE82

Welcome aboard and thanks for talking football!

On your Klecko idea, as many other possters have said, it has been kicked aorund by the fans, and I am sure by the coaches.

But, Klecko has never quite seemed up to snuff as an NFL LB.

I am not even sure he makes the team this year!

ADPF

dryheat44 said:
Yes. In a 3-4 alignment as played by the Pats and Steelers. Believe me, I've led the anti-Klecko group here for two years. Deriding him as the "Team Mascot", and mocking the "Dan Klecko Fan Club" on this board.

But get him as a DT in a 4-3, and he can be productive.
Maybe, maybe not.
I just find it hard to believe he hasn't seen the field other than special teams.
The Pats don't play a strict 3-4 like the steelers and they rotate guys in a lot and have had significant injuries. No playing time with all these factors points to the likelihood that he simply isn't that good.
From what I have seen of him he doesn't look like a DL at all. I thought at one point he could develop into a ILB but he just doesn't have the lateral quickness for that.
Either way I suspect we will boh have our answer soon as to whether other coaches will aggressively pursue him.

ClosingTime said:
Your opinion is he's talented enough. Bellichick obviosuly has thought otherwise.

Oh really? Then how did he make the roster every year he has been in the league? BB didnt keep hime because of the name. BB couldn't find a way to harvest the talent in our system as of yet.

ClosingTime said:
Maybe, maybe not.
I just find it hard to believe he hasn't seen the field other than special teams.
The Pats don't play a strict 3-4 like the steelers and they rotate guys in a lot and have had significant injuries. No playing time with all these factors points to the likelihood that he simply isn't that good.

He has, in fact, received playing time on several clear passing downs. Most of the Patriots rotation comes with moving linebackers onto or off of the line, not necessarily different personnel aside from maybe Jarvis Green.

Klecko was injured part of last year and pretty much all of 2 years ago. That's why you haven't seen him on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes