PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why no QB coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiral

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else thinks it's a little strange that, with three developmental quarterbacks on the roster, there is no dedicated quarterback coach? How much time can the OC spend with the third and fourth-string quarterbacks?

Does anyone else thinks it's a little strange that, with three developmental quarterbacks on the roster, there is no dedicated quarterback coach? How much time can the OC spend with the third and fourth-string quarterbacks?

That is a little strange.

Maybe they just say "see that dude in the number twelve? yeah? ok, so just do whatever he does. and eat your wheaties. that clipboard is heavy."

These threads are maddening.. BB does not like a lot of coaches on staff and McDaniels is the de facto qb coach.. if you intimating that Cassell is not developing as quickly as you want, probably has nothing to do with a QB coach.

These threads are maddening.. BB does not like a lot of coaches on staff and McDaniels is the de facto qb coach.. if you intimating that Cassell is not developing as quickly as you want, probably has nothing to do with a QB coach.

They really are - Take a peek at the Colts roster of Coaches - Who's the QB coach??

Oops, they don't have one either. Some sources will quote Jim Caldwell as the Asst. Head Coach AND QB Coach, but we all know that he's sitting there waiting for Tony to **** or get off the pot.

Here's a link if you want to take a gander, try not and get sick to your stomach.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=coaches

No one said the lack of a QB coach is stunting Cassel's growth.

McDaniels has his hands full with the first team offense IMO.

BB has always had a QB coach.

Finally, if these threads bother you so much, why do you post in them?

BB has always had a QB coach.

Um, no...

The only dedicated QBs coach BB has had since Rehbein was Hufnagel in 2003 and McDaniels in 2004 (and 2005 in title, but he called plays that year too). Otherwise it was Weis or McDaniels.

In fact, after Rehbein died in 2001, Weis was essentially the OC/QB/RB coach, with only some help by Ned Burke for the RBs.

Last edited:
In fact, after Rehbein died in 2001, Weis was essentially the OC/QB/RB coach, with only some help by Ned Burke for the RBs.

Didn't Belichick have a very hands-on role, much more than normal, with the QBs in 2001? I guess that would be expected in such a unique situation, but I thought it was BB who was the de-facto QB coach.

Didn't Belichick have a very hands-on role, much more than normal, with the QBs in 2001? I guess that would be expected in such a unique situation, but I thought it was BB who was the de-facto QB coach.

He was ... but i don't think he liked the job very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
In any organization you need to balance having a staff large enough to get the work done, with the fact that the larger the staff becomes the more cumbersome it becomes. More people means more time getting everyone on the same page. Too few people and you get overwhelmed, but too many can also be overwhelming. Often it is the case that a group of four or five people can get more done than a group of 12 or 15.

Also what is the role of this QB coach. Well two roles: (1) tell Tom what to do; (2) teach the new guys. I think we can all agree that number one is be handled fine and Tom knows what to do.

So that brings us to the mentoring the new guys. This would require considerably more skill at QB and at teaching than the role of coaching TB. No many people have the skill set to be an outstanding mentor to new QB, in fact it would probably require someone who was an outstanding NFL QB. However the Patriots already have someone who can and does mentor the new guys. None other than #12 himself. From everything I have heard, Tom more so then almost any others starting QB works with the his backups to help them improve and develop. It is a role he enjoys, is good at, and takes pride in.

Before you say, "but Tom shouldn't have to do that, he should be focusing on the game" let me explain that doing this HELPS TOM. As any teacher will tell you, the best way to truly learn how do something inside and out is to teach it to someone else. By teaching the new guys he improves himself.

That is a little strange. i'm not too worried about it though. it's not like brady needs any coaching, and we're screwed as it is if he goes down with an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back