PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why no love for Bill 'o Brian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB=TD

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
With flawless play calling on a game winning drive and his use of BJGE recently he deserves some praise.

No offense to Bill O'Brien, who is having a great season, but if the brief insights into Brady in the BB documentary taught me anything, it's that Brady & BB are as responsible for playcalling, game-planning and play creation in this offense as much as the OC.

Case in point, in a comparable situation when Brady threw the 2 TD passes to Watson to beat Buffalo in his first game back from the ACL injury - IIRC, just before the 2nd TD, during a TO, he walks over to Belichick and the two discuss the play (and Brady makes the suggestion to go to the TE) while BOB stays mum.

This year, especially, Brady seems to have more control over the offense than ever.

Last edited:
Brilliant playcalling?

This was Brady orchestrating a 2 minute drive to perfection.This is ALL on Brady. If anything, the gameplan was not very brilliant because the Pats were clearly putrid on offense for most of the game.

Did Bill'O'B call the 2nd and 1 run to Woodhead that lost 4 yards and preceded the 3-and-out in the 4th quarter?

Because I wasn't a fan of that. :D

Brilliant playcalling?

This was Brady orchestrating a 2 minute drive to perfection.This is ALL on Brady. If anything, the gameplan was not very brilliant because the Pats were clearly putrid on offense for most of the game.

Did Bill throw two interceptions?

Brilliant playcalling?

Yes, CLEARLY PUTRID offenses often punt twice in a game, run for over 100 yards, have over 370 of total offense and convert 8 of 13 3rd downs.

Yes, CLEARLY PUTRID offenses often punt twice in a game, run for over 100 yards, have over 370 of total offense and convert 8 of 13 3rd downs.

Thank you.:)

I have enough respect for the man to spell his name with an "e" and to use the apostrophe in the right place. Some people, though...

I have enough respect for the man to spell his name with an "e" and to use the apostrophe in the right place. Some people, though...

Hey, I don't love him that much:rolleyes:

I always thought Brady ran the entire show in the 2 minute drill. Maybe I'm wrong here.

I thought some of the play calling was very peculiar for 3.5 quarters.

I thought the playcalling wasnt all that great throughout the game.They ran it twice alot of times.How about some damn play action?

Eh, Obrien has been good most of the year but yesterday was pretty ugly. 3 of our pts came off Arrington's pick at midfield and the last 7 were all TFB. That leaves 10 points between the first and last drives.

You mentioned BJGE, well BJGE and Ridley combined for 17 carries yesterday despite averaging 4.5 ypc. That's pretty inexcusable when Brady was running for his life and getting careless with the ball. 41 pass attempts (plus 3 sacks makes it 44 drop backs) to 27 runs (4 of them were QB dives), you need more balance than that especially when your run game is working and the pass is struggling.

As we are seeing this year, Brady's 4 picks from last year was a fluke on a team that relies so heavily on the pass... alot of those deflections that fell harmlessly to the ground are ending up in defenders hands this year because it's going to hurt you eventually. BOB has to commit to the run game sooner than later or we're in trouble playoff time and probably looking at another 1 and done.

Fortunately the Pats actually have the 'hosses' to implement a run first strategy this year when they want to. This offensive line's strength is run blocking. The rookie Solder has played up to his billing, and we're likely to get Vollmer back after the bye. Waters has also been rock solid as a free agent pickup. I mean wow, how nice is it to have an RG that you don't have to worry about?

BJGE and Ridley clearly are an upgrade over BJGE + Morris. And Woodhead is still our 3rd down back.

Its hard to praise an OC when your offense has its lowest point output of the season, and 3 of those 20 points were gift wrapped due to Romo's interception.

Did Bill'O'B call the 2nd and 1 run to Woodhead that lost 4 yards and preceded the 3-and-out in the 4th quarter?

Because I wasn't a fan of that. :D

That wasn't Woodhead, it was Benny. And it wasn't on anyone but the guys on the field. Execution is the key to a good game plan irrespective of who is calling the plays...

Fortunately the Pats actually have the 'hosses' to implement a run first strategy this year when they want to. This offensive line's strength is run blocking. The rookie Solder has played up to his billing, and we're likely to get Vollmer back after the bye. Waters has also been rock solid as a free agent pickup. I mean wow, how nice is it to have an RG that you don't have to worry about?

BJGE and Ridley clearly are an upgrade over BJGE + Morris. And Woodhead is still our 3rd down back.

Its hard to praise an OC when your offense has its lowest point output of the season, and 3 of those 20 points were gift wrapped due to Romo's interception.

Unless of course you fail to understand that the other team comes to play and gets paid to... Dallas has a very good defense against the run as well as the pass and an excellent DC who schemes to give even GOAT QB's fits...

I thought the playcalling wasnt all that great throughout the game.They ran it twice alot of times.How about some damn play action?

The Cowboys were getting pressure at times rushing 3. Light struggled with Ware all day. Brady got knocked around pretty good as it is...

The ultra fast no-huddle was well done as there were some plays, particularly runs, in which Dallas wasn't ready to go. Having BJGE split wide, then come back behind Brady was a nice wrinkle I haven't seen. BOB appeared to have some nice stuff implemented. The turnovers deep in Dallas territory likely made it look ineffective, but overall the playcalling appeared good.

Don't forget to give Dallas credit on D as well. Good D != Bad O.

Regards,
Chris

Unless of course you fail to understand that the other team comes to play and gets paid to... Dallas has a very good defense against the run as well as the pass and an excellent DC who schemes to give even GOAT QB's fits...

Unless you 'failed' to read the thread title, it's essentially asking if BoB deserves praise ('love') for this game. The answer is no. The Pats deserve credit for pulling out the win but they did just enough to do so. Every team gets paid EQUALLY to play on Sunday - see 'salary cap', but not every team executes equally. The Pats offense did not execute to their usual level of excellence. Blame for the lack of execution has to be spread between the players and coaches. The Cowboys have a talented defense but let's not use it as an 'excuse'. The Pats will face even more talented defenses in the playoffs, the Ravens will likely be one of them.

Overall this game was a great milestone for the 2011 squad. The defense especially showed me more than I've seen than before. They were actually able to keep the game close, and force the 3 and out that gave us the chance to win. And Brady was 'Brady' in the last 2 and a half minutes of the game. If you can't enjoy this win, then thats on you, that's not on this team. Remember guys we're 5-1 heading into the bye, and have 1st place in the division. That's a good place to be and a lot of teams would love to be in this kind of position.

Eh... BOB was one Cowboys first down away from being chewed out on this forum like he is every time the Patriots lose.

With flawless play calling on a game winning drive and his use of BJGE recently he deserves some praise.

what i can't figure out is why the pats didn't start the second half using the no huddle. it was obvious rob ryan was having trouble with our no huddle offense, but i don't think we returned to it until the 4th quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes