PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why no interest in Hamlin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_nice_37

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Read on PFT this morning that given the huge deal to Deon Grant by the 'Hawks that Hamlin will be even more unlikely to return. Any ideas on why this guy hasn't gotten any offers? He's got good size, is realtively young, and has shown plenty of skill. I'd bring him in for a look, so that we can stop this Reggie Nelson nonsense.

Nelson is a smoke screen as bb and scott do every year. I have a feeling its more do with the coach and coach talk .also , i have a feeling it will another guy who is going to be a late round pick.

I'm talking proven NFL safeties, not rookies.

Ken Hamlin is a proven starter and would fill an immediate hole in our secondary - I don't think there are any safeties that we can realistically draft that are first year starters.

Probably wants too much $

Read on PFT this morning that given the huge deal to Deon Grant by the 'Hawks that Hamlin will be even more unlikely to return. Any ideas on why this guy hasn't gotten any offers? He's got good size, is realtively young, and has shown plenty of skill. I'd bring him in for a look, so that we can stop this Reggie Nelson nonsense.

I've been thinking this exact same thing. Everything I've read about Hamlin says perfect fit for New England yet nobody seems interested. He's young, hits hard...must be something about him that nobody likes besides the money.

I agree I wanted one or the other D. Grant or K. Hamlin. Both good players and I think could fit for the Pats.

Nelson is a smoke screen as bb and scott do every year. I have a feeling its more do with the coach and coach talk .also , i have a feeling it will another guy who is going to be a late round pick.

I hope you're right. I want nothing to do with Nelson; he reeks of Marquise Hill and Cedric Cobbs and PK Sam.

I suppose there's always the possibility that Harrison and/or Seau were consulted and they know stuff about Hamlin that would keep BB & SP from actively going after him. Just raising a thought.

I suppose there's always the possibility that Harrison and/or Seau were consulted and they know stuff about Hamlin that would keep BB & SP from actively going after him. Just raising a thought.

Why would they know about him?

I was wondering same thing about Hamlin. Outside of A.D., he was the #2 FA on my wish list. There was a good write up on him at the beginning of FA on some site; he was one of free agency's hidden gems or something.

Can't for the life of me understand why NE has not not looked at him (or any other DBs for that matter).

I would have thought Hamlin would have been on the market 5-6 days max.

As someone else said, maybe there is more than meets the eye and he's a bad character guy. Though I've read nothing either way on the guy.

Nelson is a smoke screen as bb and scott do every year.

Sorry to take this a bit OT, but I'm curious about statements like this. It seems to be a common opinion here that BB/SP feign interest in college players as a smoke screen. I've read a lot of comments like "oh, they chatted up X at the senior bowl and gave him a private workout, guess I can cross him off my board!"

Last year the players they gave a lot of public attention to were a couple of Florida guys. Remember this pre-draft quote from Jeremy Mincey?

"They already know what I can do from when he [Belichick] worked me out three weeks ago," said Mincey. "They tell me I can fit in good with them. While I was up there they were asking me if I would mind being teammates with Chad Jackson again."

Some smokescreen! The Pats generally keep their opinions to themselves, but I don't recall any active misdirection. Examples, anybody?

People are concerned about Hamlins' injuries. He had two significant injuries in 2005 (one on the field and the other off the field which was life threatening).

I heard he was in negotiations with New Orleans though.

Sorry to take this a bit OT, but I'm curious about statements like this. It seems to be a common opinion here that BB/SP feign interest in college players as a smoke screen. I've read a lot of comments like "oh, they chatted up X at the senior bowl and gave him a private workout, guess I can cross him off my board!"

Last year the players they gave a lot of public attention to were a couple of Florida guys. Remember this pre-draft quote from Jeremy Mincey?

"They already know what I can do from when he [Belichick] worked me out three weeks ago," said Mincey. "They tell me I can fit in good with them. While I was up there they were asking me if I would mind being teammates with Chad Jackson again."

Some smokescreen! The Pats generally keep their opinions to themselves, but I don't recall any active misdirection. Examples, anybody?

I've never understood this mindset either. The team can only meet with so many players and can only draft so many players. Logic dictates they will visit some players they don't draft, and draft some players they don't visit.

It's not like the other 31 teams have some big board of the US up in their war rooms pushing pins into it every time BB visits a college player. They kind of might maybe be busy doing their own scouting.

Last edited:
he had his head cracked open like an egg at a night club...most teams are hesitant to touch him in case he hits some one and he suffers a stroke or something...He will get a contract, but not till later when the numbers come down and they can give this guy with an injury history less guaranteed cash...

The Pats generally keep their opinions to themselves, but I don't recall any active misdirection. Examples, anybody?
I'm with you here. I suspect they might actively misdirect other teams as draft day approaches by leaking rumors. Or by pretending to have deals to force other teams to trade up. None of that costs more than a phone call.

But to bring in a young player and spend his time and theirs working him out just to bait another team, that's a waste of their time and an insult to the player. I hope the organization doesn't engage in that sort of activity. It's beneath them.

I almost posted this same thing. With the market so soft, getting Hamlin would be a major coup for this team. If healthy, he'll be a steal. Get him on the phone.

"Hi Ken, this is c_nice_37 from patsfans.com. How would you like to play for us this coming season and be torn apart by the messageboard?"...

"Good, see you in TC."

I thought I recalled reading somewhere that he has some pretty significant character issues?

People are concerned about Hamlins' injuries. He had two significant injuries in 2005 (one on the field and the other off the field which was life threatening).

I heard he was in negotiations with New Orleans though.

Yeah, that's exactly why. Especially that serious one to the head. Anyway, I like Eugene Wilson as our safety when he's healthy too. I certainly don't think Wilson would be as good of a CB as he is a FS. The two are very similar as to what they do on the field. Why would we want two starting FSs, both having injury history? Don't get me wrong, I think Hamlin is a great FS when healthy too, but if we sign him, one will not be happy sitting on the bench.

Living in Washington I have had plenty of opportunities to watch Hamlin play. I really like how hard of a hitter he is, kind of like Harrison. The word on the street is that he failed 2 physicals already for the Panthers and Cowboys. After being beat 1/2 way to death with a stop sign (I still dunno how none of the fans around there couldnt take the guy that did it down afterwords) it takes a lot of balls to come back from that that not very many people could do. He has got mad respect from me and I would love to have him. It would give us much needed depth in the secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes