PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why no Haggans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like he could be signed for short money and would give the LBs a lot of flexibility. Thomas could go inside or rotate on the edges.

If Seward and Haggans were signed the LBs look good, add in a Long, Gholston, Groves or other top prospect and they look great.

I am surprised Haggans hasn't gotten more of a sniff to play the role of better than average JAG OLB.

Has Haggans signed somewhere? Many veteran free agents who aren't part of the first wave of free agents are slow to make visits to teams. In 2003, we didn't sign either Colvin or Harrison until several weeks into free agency. I think it was 3-4 weeks in.

There has been rumors that the Pats are interested in Haggans, but as far as I know, Haggans hasn't visited with anyone yet.

I still hold out hope that Haggans, Hobsons, and/or Spikes end up on this team.

As fans, all we see are news of signings, the tip of the iceberg. It's in the team's interest to keep as much of the process quiet as possible. That's not in the agent's interest, but the team will pressure the agent to keep quiet.

So we may think nothing is going on, while in reality the scouts and coaches are meeting several times a day, they're on the phone with players, agents, and potential trading partners (teams). Dozens of phone calls, hours of film review and meetings. Back and forth and back and forth.

Then one announcement.

Patience.

Clearly he's not looked upon by the rest of the league as a starting linebacker, since there has been very minimal interest. And Seward hasn't done anything either. I think it's a stretch to say that we'll be locked at the LB position if we sign one of them. Bruschi's play is declining, Rosie is gone, and it's hard to bank on a 17-year vet for next year in Seau. It would be very beneficial to go after a couple LBs in the draft, particularly with that first rounder.

The thing that we have to keep in mind is that BB / Pioli know that Haggans/Hobson/Spikes are out there. If they don't sign them, there's a reason. Personally, I'm with you. Let's sign one of these guys so that at least it gives us some flexibility on draft day -- but again, BB and Pioli have a plan, and I trust that they know what they're doing.

Clearly he's not looked upon by the rest of the league as a starting linebacker, since there has been very minimal interest. And Seward hasn't done anything either. I think it's a stretch to say that we'll be locked at the LB position if we sign one of them. Bruschi's play is declining, Rosie is gone, and it's hard to bank on a 17-year vet for next year in Seau. It would be very beneficial to go after a couple LBs in the draft, particularly with that first rounder.

I disagree that he isn't looked at as a starter. There are still quite a few starting quality (and decent enough starters) players available on free agency including Haggans, DJ Hackett, Victor Hobson, Brandon Chillars, Jake Scott, etc. Haggans was just not one of the guys teams were falling over themselves to overpay for him probably because of his age.

Last edited:
In 2003, we didn't sign either Colvin or Harrison until several weeks into free agency. I think it was 3-4 weeks in.
It wasn't that late. We signed Colvin and Harrison a few days before the Ides of March, if I recall.

It wasn't that late. We signed Colvin and Harrison a few days before the Ides of March, if I recall.

Colvin signed March 12. Remember that free agency started a week early that year because the Super Bowl was the last week of January (January 26), not the first week of February that year. They signed Harrison on the 13th. So it was the third week of free agency.

Last edited:
I remember when the Pats signed Haggans a few years ago to a offer sheet... and the Stealers matched.

I don't know if they are still interested in him now though. It's possible.

I've never seen him play lately, so, maybe he did lose a step or two.

I remember when the Pats signed Haggans a few years ago to a offer sheet... and the Stealers matched.

I don't know if they are still interested in him now though. It's possible.

I've never seen him play lately, so, maybe he did lose a step or two.

They reportedly were interested.

It's not so much he lost a step, they just have better option

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes