Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why Liberals Are More Intelligent Than Conservatives

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Why Liberals Are More Intelligent Than Conservatives | Psychology Today

It is difficult to define a whole school of political ideology precisely, but one may reasonably define liberalism (as opposed to conservatism) in the contemporary United States as the genuine concern for the welfare of genetically unrelated others and the willingness to contribute larger proportions of private resources for the welfare of such others.

Given its absence in the contemporary hunter-gatherer tribes, which are often used as modern-day analogs of our ancestral life, it may be reasonable to infer that sharing of resources with total strangers that one has never met or is not likely ever to meet – that is, liberalism – was not part of our ancestral life. Liberalism may therefore be evolutionarily novel, and the Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely than less intelligent individuals to espouse liberalism as a value.

... For example, among the American sample, those who identify themselves as “very liberal” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 106.4, whereas those who identify themselves as “very conservative” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 94.8.

[​IMG]
  2. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Too bad an IQ test means nothing, IQ test can't measure Honesty and leadership nor can it measure charity to others or if your a good person or not....

So you have a higher IQ, but your still a POS, so what does it matter?

Patters, you seem to be one of the people that identifies him/her self as part of a group and while that's your right, it just means your more of the problem rather then being part of the solution, see it doesn't matter if your a dem or a repub! What matters are you a good person and are you honest! Are you a good father or mother! Do you care about others and do you want your people to succeed!

Our problem as a country is that we try so hard to see our differences rather then see what we agree on and can compromise on.Its not left vs right its brother vs brother sister vs sister. The harder you and others try to make yourselves seem better then others the farther apart we grow as a country and as a people, your not helping.....your part of the problem.

I see a lot of Dem's "did this" and Repub's "did that" but what I don't see a lot of on this forum is compromise and understanding of others views. Its either "your wrong and i'm right" and that's what's going on in our country.This forum is a manifestation of our country.....its pretty sad when people vote because they belong to a group, rather then vote for the person.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I agree.

I agree again.

I agree yet again.

I think there's plenty of that superiority complex from all sides.

I agree this forum is a microcosm of the country.

That said, by one common metric, IQ, liberals are more intelligent than conservatives. It doesn't mean we're better than them.
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 7 / -10

The article is the sort of feel good pap libs love to indulge in. The graph identifies "ADULT POLITICAL IDEOLOGY", yet the article specifies:

This is misleading to say the least, many people change their outlook as they gain more experience in the world and abandon childish liberal utopian fantasies. IOW as people mature if they are intelligent and wise they are less likely to be liberal.

The other hilarious is the idea that libs favor giving money to strangers, of course what libs stand for is giving away other people's money (by way of government) to make themselves feel good.

If this is the drivel that get published the readers of this magazine aren't very intelligent.
    :D
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

And that would only mean that the IQ difference between conservatives and liberals would lessen, unless of course all liberals became conservative or a lot of conservatives became liberal.

I think libs include their own money. After all, liberals are tax payers too.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 7 / -10

IMO libs are over represented among the 47% who pay no taxes and the group that lives off of govt largess.

Well it means that you would deduct the high iq young adult from the lib column and add it onto the conservative givings a 2x effect per 'change' I also think that people who are less intelligent who would be more likely to live off of government programs will be more lib as they become more dependent on lib policies.

Articles are mostly harmless and silly perhaps the writers don't have very hi IQ's themselves and need self assurance?
  7. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 12 / -2

Not all Liberals are intelligent !

These comments from Sean Penn movies, make more sence than the real life crap he peddles about Hugo Chavez.

If you don't believe me.... go ask Ozzie Guillen.

Graham Bensinger: Ozzie Guillen Talks Tough Childhood, Drunken Interviews, and Sean Penn

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]

:bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks:
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 5 / -8

The thesaurus is obviously a biased liberal source.

Roget. Sounds French. :eek:

:D
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Another way of putting that is that poor people have more empathy for others who are struggling than do richer people, but of course you're right it's possible that poor people are simply self-serving. That said, I'm not sure you're right about liberals being over represented among those lucky 47% (what fun they must be having!) who pay no taxes. Liberals tend to be educated; and poor people often have difficulty getting educated. Most of the poor either do not vote or do not identify with an ideology. (Look how the black population of CA voted against gay marriage.)

That would narrow the gap, but still leave liberals as more intelligent (unless there were some conservatives who became liberal).

That's only correct if you define liberal as people who live off government programs. The people who live off government programs are perceived as liberal because they vote Democratic (but not by a wide margin; Bush won the white poor by something like 20% in his race against Kerry), but in reality many of these people are homophobic, sexist, religious, and gun owning, just like many conservatives.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

But does intelligence beget maturity?

Something seems very childish about the whole premise of this thread, but we've been down this road a few times already this year.
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The whole premise of this thread is so f..ing stupid... american politics have descended into a cesspool, and now there is a discussion of who is smarter???
    As long as these types of discussions the polarization that we are now witnessing will ensue.

The dumbing down of american politics.. common sense often defies intelligence.. they are often mutually exclusive.
  13. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

This may also be a function of different types of intelligence. Some people perform better in structured environments (school, civil service) and perform better on standardized tests. Others who are not as strong in those areas may respond much better to uncertainty. There are many people who do not do well in school who are brilliant at business or politics.

You wouldn't want Wittgenstein as President and he certainly wouldn't be an effective business executive.

Some of the sharpest people I have ever encountered in the business world were mediocre students at best and some of the biggest nitwits were Ivy League grads. One Princeton alum in particular still sticks out in my mind.

This is another spin on the whole idea of trying to win the argument about ideas by either disqualifying or belittling those that hold them. Why not just stick to the ideas themselves?
  14. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

For once....... Me and Darryl are in COMPLETE AGREEMENT on something in the PoFo.... This must be an omen. It's gonna be a good year.
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

The reality is that IQ tests are not very accurate. Nonetheless, IQ is used as a measure of intelligence in this country, and many conservative social scientists have used it as a basis for racial differences. Of course, when we question the intelligence of conservatives, the point suddenly becomes so stupid. I have stated in other threads that I do not accept that intelligence tests are a useful measure of intelligence (except for perhaps white middle class people with similar upbringings, i.e., those who the tests were designed for), but the point of the thread of course is to throw in the face of any conservatives in this forum who might believe that IQ tests are valid measures of intelligence.

Race and intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +294 / 6 / -5

For the umpteenth time, there is no 47 percent of the population who pay no taxes.

I would submit that conservatives are likely overrepresented among the super rich who have seen their tax burdens cut in half since the mid-90s.
  17. PlainOldEd

PlainOldEd Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If you give me $100 and I give you back $40, have I paid you? :rolleyes:
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Your question is ambiguous, since if I interpret you as representing the government, then your question suggest that indeed the poor pay taxes. What liberals say is that the poor do pay taxes. In fact, the CBO estimates about 90% of people pay federal taxes -- Medicare, Social Security -- and the poor also pay sales tax as well as other state and local taxes.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Well, if you are correct in your assumption, since it's the conservative point of view that people are already overtaxed and should pay less rather than more, I'd say that, IMO, libs must be the smarter group of people because, according to you, they've already figured out how to accomplish that.
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

A liberal will allow a fox to sleep in the hen house.
    A conservative won't.

A liberal won'r enjoy his public park at night because he allowed the scum bag to take it over.

A conservative will shoot the bastard scum bag and then enjoy the park.

Liberas are full of sh!t....................:singing: