PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why LenDale White can't be counted out @ 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
spacecrime said:
The last sentence is not true. No one ever questioned Dillon's work ethic. He was a malcontent, which is different from somebody who cannot get into shape for a championship game. Dillion was upset with Bengals front office and coaching staff. White let himself get out of shape. He was 253 # long before the torn hammy on pro days. He was fat at the championship game, and though he had production, he could not convert a fourth and one when needed because he was winded and/or fat. At the combine, he was reputed to need a bra.

As far as production goes, White did have a lot of TDs, but I doubt production is the only thing BB looks at.

People change, and he could be a monster. Or he could be Ken Sims.

BB/SP interviewed him at the combine. They probably have a better feel for him than I do. For me, I'd take a mid-round flyer on him, not a first or second round pick for such a risk. It isn't like he's the only good RB out there.

No question, LW situation is nothing like CD - Corey was a proven dominant running back - LW has only his college resume at this point. Him being a malcontent was really overblown anyway, he just reacted to years of losing. Then just could not buy into the new system, not to mention be pushed aside by a Rudi Johnson. It was simply time for him to make a change.

As for not taking Lendale White until rounds 3 or so, are you kidding? I would love to take him at 52.......While you are right, that there are a few good RB's out there - he may end up being best or 2nd best. Who knows and yes, he could end up being the worst as well. At 52, I am convinced they would nab him and also, IF they felt strongly about him, I would not be at all surprised to see them trade up to the beginning of round two or something to get him.

Last edited:
I just remember the way he was running over people in the championship game. After that game everyone seemed to be saying that he might even be better than Reggie. So I think we can say that the potential is there. But is the work ethic and is he just the produce of a great oline?

gomezcat said:
Digger44, in a previous thread, noted that talk of White's work ethic only surfaced since the end of the season. I disagreed with him, so I did a google search. It could well have been my poor research, but I found little to suggest that there were concerns about his work ethic before January. The scouts have access to the people on the inside and will be able to ignore the rumours and the hype.

I luv you man, thanks for the dittos. It wan't your poor reasearch. It just isn't there. Nobody can find it. I think LW is a legitimate high metabolism hammy guy. Some people blimp if they don't work out normaly. A hammy is serious. Maybe he he pushed it too hard at the combine or proday. None of us would ever coach a Pat's player to suck it up and play with a bad hammy, but LW tried the most strenuous workouts possible. I don't think that is laziness. He did show up and work out, and maybe he shouldnt have. Besides all that, NFL trainers and the Atkins diet could get 30lbs off in 3 weeks when he is healthy.

There are concerns

This is from Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview:

"Does not like to do the dirty work in pass protection. Not a great worker. Character concerns. The team that drafts White better be sure that money will not change his desire or competitiveness. Legitimate top-10 talent with some characture concern that could push him down draft boards and off others."

Given all of that if BB decides to draft him, I will have faith that those questions have been answered.

IMO, there is a definate need to bring in new running back just for the competition this year. No RB is pushing Dillon and one is needed. Same can be said of Faulk and Pass. We need to get younger.

Last edited:
JustWinBrady said:
IMO, there is a definate need to bring in new running back just for the competition this year. No RB is pushing Dillon and one is needed. Same can be said of Faulk and Pass. We need to get younger.
I agree the need is there..but there ARE other concerns first. Yes, take a TB later in the draft..for a backup to Dillon or Faulk or maybe even one who will be better than Pass (and as versatile.) The problem is there are many questions with the so-called top backs. White, Maroney, Williams...they all COULD be busts. Not hard workers...not wanting to improve themselves. Weight problems.. Again, I do NOT see a Patriot FO taking a high pick with a LOT of concerns like that. I'd wait till a bit later and NOT waste a high pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes