PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why leave Brady play in the 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I think this game was well in hand but do wonder why Brady and Welker were still playing with the game already all but won.

I think if Hoyer did not get in the game with a 28 point lead I doubt he gets most of the reps next week.

Expect most of the starters to play against Houston I suppose,even if Cincy loses today.

I think this game was well in hand but do wonder why Brady and Welker were still playing with the game already all but won.

I think if Hoyer did not get in the game with a 28 point lead I doubt he gets most of the reps next week.

Expect most of the starters to play against Houston I suppose,even if Cincy loses today.

Hoyer was standing with Brady just before the last TD. I thought for sure Brady was coming out after that.

It seems based on the philosophy that you have to finish games.. which has been more of an issue lately...

Agree. Left in too long.

Last edited:
Hoyer was standing with Brady just before the last TD. I thought for sure Brady was coming out after that.

This isn't a stat padding team and our QB is not Manning so I was a bit surprised not to see Hoyer.

Is our defense not trusted to hold a 28 point lead with 15 minutes to go?,Otherwise I don't understand why risk the franchise player going into the playoffs.

Sometimes Belichick makes decisions that leaves me scratching my head...Unless Brady demanded Belichick to let him play all 60 minutes is my only thinking of the way he finished.

Last edited:
Maybe for some reps with Taylor on the hand-off exchange?

It seems based on the philosophy that you have to finish games.. which has been more of an issue lately...

Yep. And building a little mo after a basically mo-less season.

you would think that having a single undrafted FA backup QB would lend itself to getting him in the game whenever possible - so you can make the decision on what to do this offseason at the position.

But he could have. I too was surprised to see him in there after the last touchdown. Why risk his health when we know he is banged up, and why not give hoyer some reps. Remember, if Brady takes a wicked hit in the the playoffs and has to sit out a series or 2, Hoyer is coming in as your backup. I don't get why they wouldn't give him a quarter in a blow out like this to get some reps in a real game scenario.

I think he got so many reps (a) because of the 20 play drive (not going to yank him midstream... he DID get yanked during the drive, but after the 2 minute warning), and (b) this might be some indication that Brady/first string O get minimal reps next week at Houston, so they got as many as possible in a relatively safe situation...

The move to not sit Brady reminded me of the 2007 season when we were ahead by 40 and yet Cassel was not called in....then again he was called in the Miami game but was pulled after the Jason Taylor pick six

Agreed. This season's team can only win in the playoffs if the offense wakes from the coma they've been in the past 6+ weeks.

Again, Coach B made the right decision the play his starters to build their confidence. And again we have boneheads challenge his decisions. I think Squeeler fans must be logging in as Pats fans and posting.

C'mon people.

Maybe for some reps with Taylor on the hand-off exchange?

BINGO...

getting Fred in rhythm is critical to PO hopes

I'm not sure why either. Thankfully nothing happened that's all that matters.

I'm hoping everyone rests @ Houston

Well, if you're just handing the ball off, it's pretty safe -- until you try a QB sneak ...

I guess they just wanted to try a pure running drive and see if they could make it work.

He was barely touched all game. He's not going to get 1 1/2 games off, he needs to be sharp heading into the playoffs. He'll play some against Houston most likely then take a seat.

Please play him all game against the Texans or at least until you guys are up by 50 points or so! Thanks for beating the Jags today by the way. Really appreciated in Pittsburgh :)

Very true this team has not been able to finish games this year now it the time where they must leave Brady and Moss and Welker in there until the game is over.

It seemed obvious to me at the time. They needed to "man up" and kill some clock against a physically tough defensive front. That is a skill that will be needed against the Colts, when the Patriots will have a physical advantage. In a game like that, they can practice situations in a live game environment. They're just being forward in their thinking, just in case they need to return to that style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back