PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why isn't this being discussed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8est

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I was stuck watching the Tennessee-Jacksonville game this last week and two related plays jumped out at me. At one point the QB (don't remember if it was Young or Garrard) was going out of bounds and, while still in bounds, the defender gave him a two-handed push to ensure he made it out of bounds. It wasn't particularly hard but he still drew a call for hitting the QB.

A few plays later Garrard ran the ball and was going out of bounds, as the defender approached he let up to let Garrard go out of bounds on his own. Garrard proceeded to lower his shoulder and slam into the defender, gaining an extra yard or so before going out of bounds.

Obviously the defender was looking to avoid a penalty, but now the QB has a license to hit a defender but you still can't touch the QB?

Can we PLEASE get back to playing football?

It's been discussed on this board and everywhere else I believe. Maybe not these exact instances but the issue is all over.

It has gotten beyond stupid. Joey Harrington's South American football dive was classic, and the arbitrary protection of quarterbacks is simply too much. They already get paid the most; isn't that good enough. I'd like them to go as far as getting rid of the allowable intentional grounding outside the pocket. Sack up and run for it; take a chance and try to throw it remotely near somebody, or run out of bounds and take the loss. Either that or quit the charade and just give the QB a couple of flags.

To make things worse, it's not even consistently called. Peyton Manning and Tommy B can't be looked at funny, but strong guys like McNair, Plummer, Rothlisburger (sp?) and Vick can get popped like an actual football player.

It has gotten beyond stupid. Joey Harrington's South American football dive was classic, and the arbitrary protection of quarterbacks is simply too much. They already get paid the most; isn't that good enough. I'd like them to go as far as getting rid of the allowable intentional grounding outside the pocket. Sack up and run for it; take a chance and try to throw it remotely near somebody, or run out of bounds and take the loss. Either that or quit the charade and just give the QB a couple of flags.

I have no problem with many of the QB rules, I just wish that the thought process would be, "consider it to *not* be roughing unless it is obviously so".

Same goes for PI calls.

Well, the other side of the coin was a lot of QBs getting injured in the past, which removed a lot of the star attraction from the NFL. Protecting the QBs does go back a long way, which you can judge by Jack Lambert's famous expression that they should put a skirt on them. He played from 1974 to 1984.

Roughing the QB and PI calls have become, in the words of Jimmy Carter, "a disgrace to the Human Race". If I were King for a Day, I would have less of those penalties called, and more of the Alex Gibbs-taught dirty blocking penalties called. What a shameful, cowardly way to take out a DL.

Roughing the QB and PI calls have become, in the words of Jimmy Carter, "a disgrace to the Human Race". If I were King for a Day, I would have less of those penalties called, and more of the Alex Gibbs-taught dirty blocking penalties called. What a shameful, cowardly way to take out a DL.
That's a bingo! :rocker:

A simple change of emphasis or two might help the roughing and PI calls. How about not calling PI unless you're sure you saw it? It's a harsh penalty, there shouldn't be any doubt about it, and there should be no phantom penalties in that area. Same deal with roughing, if the ref makes a mistake and isn't watching and suddenly the QBs on the ground, rolling around like a salted work, and the defensive player's helmet was near his head knee, but you weren't looking, it's no call.

Cleaning up offensive PI would also help. If an offensive player initiates hand-fighting, it should be called, regardless of the result of the play, since the defensive player needs to fight back or give up a big plaay. While fighting for position, sometimes he gets nailed for defensive PI. A little deterrence against offesive PI, say calling more than the blatant two handed shove, might make the refs jobs a little easier.

It is being discussed all over the NFL.

Even Dwight Freeney was complaining about it to the MNF crew. Now there is nothing more hilarous than a guy who plays for the Colts complaining about the rules being too tough on defenders when it is Bill Polian and Tony Dungy leading the charge to make it easy for offenses.

I say we ask BB:

There was a light moment at the end of the press conference, when Belichick was asked his thoughts on NFL rules that protect quarterbacks.

"My background is as a defensive coach, so you can figure out the answer to that question," Belichick said. "But the bottom line is that nobody cares what I think. It doesn't make any difference."

When a reporter told Belichick that his opinion was valued by him, Belichick stopped his thought and laughed. Belichick urged the reporter to check with others.

"Again, that's one of those things that I don't have any control over -- do you want replay, do you not want replay? Pass interefernce at the point, or a 15-yard penalty? I would say go talk to the genuises who make the rules, because they are the ones who make it and they have all the answers. ... There are plenty of people on that committee and they love to talk about the rules they made and how great they are and all that. The Charley Casserly's of the world, who have all the answers to everything. Talk to them."

* I would guess BB doesn't likes the rules too much, the rules committee or Charlie Casserly either.

I'll have cup of Christmas cheer on that!:D

The observation or a "point of emmphasis" that unless obvious, its NOT a penalty would clarify the rules on both QB roughing and PI, a whole heck of a lot!

Maybe they should get it over with and give the QBs a special no-contact jersey. Thereafter you only have to do a "two hand touch" to down the QB. But if they take off from the pocket I say they deserve whatever they get. :p

I agree with what BB was saying the other day in his press conference, that being that the QB should be protected when he is vulnerable, by virtue of the demands of the position (by throwing, body is wide open to unprotected, off balence hit from any angle for example).

However, he also seemed to very much say they have gone way to far to the point where defensive players have no idea what to do anymore and are forced to hesitate creating an unfair advantage. QB's are now taking advantage of these very rules meant to protect them, the rules were not put in to make it easier for them to succeed.

The answer, in my opinion, is to bring back the ability of the Official to JUDGE whether a hit was roughing or "dirty" or otherwise against the rules. It is pretty clear to me what should or should not be called. It is also pretty clear to me that they have gone waay to far.

Easy way to solve it. Have the rule state if the QB is out of the pocket, roughing the passer cant be called, unless helmet to helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down