Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why Isn't Scott Brown the Republican's Warren Buffet?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 2, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +317 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Yanno how you conservative, I-hate-Obama-and-Why-Doesn't-He-and-his-Buddy-Warren-Buffet-Just-Pay-More-Taxes-if-They're-so-All-Fired-Up-For-It types are always complaining that if Buffett and Obama were really serious about raising taxes on the rich they'd not take advantage of current tax breaks?

How come I don't hear any bytching about Scott Brown, the guy who's so outspokenly opposed to ObamaCare, the guy who's voted against it three times, taking full advantage of it and using it to insure his 23 year old daughter?

Scott Brown uses Obamacare provision to insure daughter - BostonHerald.com

Shouldn't he, too, put his money where his mouth is and pony up for her own policy? Or better yet, following PR's reasoning, tell her that she's over 18 - buy it herself?
  2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You know MrsP, you'd really have something here if it was a Democrat doing it;)
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +116 / 7 / -10

His daughter is an adult.

This has nothing to do with the hypocracy of Obama, Buffet el al. I take it Brown is doing ok in the polls against the wall st dem he is running against?

Has she paid the higher taxes she is advocating?
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +317 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

ROFLMAO That's my point, 13. She IS an adult.....and, thanks to Obamacare, which Scott Brown professes to hate, her father is able to carry her on his insurance policy.

What part of "hypocrisy" don't you understand?
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its that little r next to Brown's name. It completely bamboozles 13 and many others.
  6. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

If he is so against the law (OC) and he is a principled man, he should not carry his adult daughter on his HC policy.

But that would require her to carry MassHealth (I assume she lives in MA, but correct me if that is incorrect), which costs some money out of pocket or forgo her tax return if she chose to be uninsured.

OT: SDaniels - bamboozled....such a fantastic phrase.
  7. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

She's an adult. Free to make her own choices. Why is this so hard for liberals to understand?

FYI the provision is something the GOP has supported. Just because Obamacare does one thing right does not make it all right.
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +317 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

You're right - I don't understand. It's her age and adult-status that should make this objectionable to Scott and to every other red-blooded conservative who gripes about Obamacare.

Scott Brown is against Obamacare - he is against all the things Obamacare provides - one of the things it provides is that adult children, up to the age of 26, can be carried on their parent's insurance policy. Scott has chosen to take advantage of the law - all the while trying to change it.

How is this "her" decision? She does not pay the premiums, she does not hold the policy, she does not work for the government. Scott pays the premiums, he holds the policy, he works for the government. Therefore, it is Scott's decision, Scott's choice....not his daughter's - his.
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  9. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

OT:I will say this sorta reminds me of that local rep here in MA that voted X number of times to raise the tax on booze/add the excise tax on top of the taxes on it....then got busted driving to NH where booze is tax free.

I do have issues with people (government) who vote for or against something, which impacts everyone...and then do what they can to avoid it impacting them.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Has Brown complained about this provision before? If so, then he's open to criticism over it. If not, then let's remember that Obamacare is over 2,000 pages long. While people may dislike the bill in general (hello mandate), it doesn't mean that they dislike every single word on all 2,000 pages. For example, I believe Obamacare protects against pre-existing conditions. I think that's something most people likely support. Does support for that provision therefore require someone to support the entire bill? Absolutely not.

As for the provision in question, what I don't mind about it is that it allows parents to pay for their kids insurance. However, the issue is that the parents genuinely are only paying a portion of their kids insurance, since the employer is ultimately being tagged with the bulk of the additional freight. I don't think putting that stress on the backs of businesses is helpfull. From a personal standpoint, I don't like that it turns young adults into "kids" until their 26. At what point do we take the training wheels off?
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

just like Buffet, or any other pol when it comes to taxes, I have no problem with him taking advantage of this since he is, essentially, paying for (part of) it

the only issue I would have with it is if he claimed to oppose it and then voted for the bill.

(Now, some here have claimed that politicians should exercise a leadership role on these matters. but as long as Brown hasn't criticized other pols for similar acts, he seems fine to me. I'm sure those other folks here will be leaping to call him out on it, though... ;) )
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If Al Gore was expected to live in a shack and wipe his behind with leaves in order to live up to his stance on Global Climate Change I don't see why Scott Brown isn't expected to live up to his stance of having voted against against Obamacare 3 separate times.

If the standard isn't what the law requires, but something much higher, like it was and still is for Gore, it has to be the same for everyone else.
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +116 / 7 / -10

Ho ever said Gore's kids had to live the lifestyle advocated by their idiot father?

This line of attack is just silly.
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +317 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Who you calling a "Ho?"
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What's silly is the way that R next to Brown's name just has you hypnotized.
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Ahahahahah:singing:
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I want to expand on one of the points I made in my earlier post about how raising the "kid" age to 26 will negatively affect businesses. As I mentioned, people who recieve health benefits from their employer will now be able to add their children to their plans till age 26. What this means is significantly increased costs to business owners. For example, here is the monthly & annual cost of my office's health plans.

Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO Blue:

Individual - $735.88 monthly = $8,830.56 annually

2 Party - $1,418.26 = $17,019.12 annually

Family - $2,206.83 = $26,481.96 annually

If you're an employer, you're now subjec to paying for a family plan till your employees kids are 26, as opposed to what I believe was the age of 18. That means 8 additional years of increased premiums. Most employers who provide health insurance benefits to employees pay anywhere from 50% of the bill, to 30%, or 100% in some cases (this is probably not as common anymore). Assuming it's 25-50%, that means that employers are generally adding an additional $5-7k annually to their bottom line, per employee. That's not cheap, and certainly doesn't help the labor market.

BTW, how awesome has that Romneycare been. It's totally lowered premiums and made healthcare more affordable like people said it would. I hope they use that legislation as the framework for a national plan. That will so solve the problem of skyrocketing health care costs. Afterall, it's worked so well here. [​IMG]