PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why isn't coach's film accessible to fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this time, there isn't even enough demand for the network broadcasts...NFL Films started to sell those games a few years ago (NFL Greatest Games series) but they stop producing new sets (the Patriots 10 Greatest Games was taken of the shelves 1 week after distribution) in the past year....so why would they try to sell the coaches films, that less than 1% of their fan base would want ?

And anything is for sale. Show up at Godells door with a million bucks and I am sure you can get a copy.

Each team should be able to independently decide if they want to make copies of the coach's film for select games available to the public. All they would have to do is copy the existing film onto DVD, package it and then sell it through the pro shop.

Just a guess here, but I imagine the NFL doesn't actually film this video themselves, it is probably done by low level peons from each team. To track down all the tape each week is maybe now worth their effort?

Comments I've read have lead me to conclude the Pats have an in-house digital video distribution system, i.e. they've got a server farm that will stream whatever video someone in the film room wants to see.

Its only high schools and non-big-time colleges that still go the VHS/DV route.

At this time, there isn't even enough demand for the network broadcasts...NFL Films started to sell those games a few years ago (NFL Greatest Games series) but they stop producing new sets (the Patriots 10 Greatest Games was taken of the shelves 1 week after distribution) in the past year....so why would they try to sell the coaches films, that less than 1% of their fan base would want ?

According to the NFL Network, 135 million people tune in on Sundays to watch football. So if only 1% were willing to fork over $20 to $50, that'd be worth copying over some files to a DVD.

The NFL is seriously trying to expand their revenue, even sending teams overseas to play real games instead of exhibition games. This is such a simple thing to do. If they don't want to deal with the distribution of it, just set up a simple web shop or sell the rights to someone else. It's not going to rival their ticket or TV income, but it could be similar to stadium naming rights money or other revenue sources.

According to the NFL Network, 135 million people tune in on Sundays to watch football. So if only 1% were willing to fork over $20 to $50, that'd be worth copying over some files to a DVD.

The NFL is seriously trying to expand their revenue, even sending teams overseas to play real games instead of exhibition games. This is such a simple thing to do. If they don't want to deal with the distribution of it, just set up a simple web shop or sell the rights to someone else. It's not going to rival their ticket or TV income, but it could be similar to stadium naming rights money or other revenue sources.

I'm one of those who would pay in order to buy some games. But I don't think the NFL is really looking to expand their revenues going that route, at least for now. If they were, we would have seen much more classic games released on DVD box sets. I think that at the moment, they are realizing that all the current games are being stream on the internet, on torrent site and rapidshare, and they are trying to respond to that. So they released a few 2009 games following the Super Bowl. They are hoping that people will pay instead of getting those games for free on the internet.

But the market for current games is limited. Even without those internet sites, the NFL has to ''compete'' against DVR and DVD recorder. Where they can make a few $ is with their library of older games. In the VCR days, nobody could get a pristine copy of a game like people can now with high definition, DVR and DVD recorders.

But that being said, to get back to the topic, I doubt that coaches films would generate much interest among fans. Really, who would want to sit thru 2 hours of game films all butchered up (all huddles edited out, the same play 3 times in a row from different angles, etc) with no sound, except if you are a coach yourself ?

excellent question ......... i'd pay to view

If they let say Direct TV do it for any game you wanted to see as a replay, I can just imagine what they'd charge for it. You really don't think it'd be free, right?

I'm one of those who would pay in order to buy some games. But I don't think the NFL is really looking to expand their revenues going that route, at least for now. If they were, we would have seen much more classic games released on DVD box sets. I think that at the moment, they are realizing that all the current games are being stream on the internet, on torrent site and rapidshare, and they are trying to respond to that. So they released a few 2009 games following the Super Bowl. They are hoping that people will pay instead of getting those games for free on the internet.

But the market for current games is limited. Even without those internet sites, the NFL has to ''compete'' against DVR and DVD recorder. Where they can make a few $ is with their library of older games. In the VCR days, nobody could get a pristine copy of a game like people can now with high definition, DVR and DVD recorders.

But that being said, to get back to the topic, I doubt that coaches films would generate much interest among fans. Really, who would want to sit thru 2 hours of game films all butchered up (all huddles edited out, the same play 3 times in a row from different angles, etc) with no sound, except if you are a coach yourself ?

It'd definitely be a niche product, no doubt. But in terms of the amount of effort it would take vs. the reward, I can't imagine why they wouldn't.

For one thing, the cost of production would be almost nil. They're already paying for the film, equipment, staff, et cetera. It'd just take someone a few minutes to put together all of one team's games. Or alternatively, you throw the entire season in one big package.

DVDs are extremely cheap. You've got a cheap marketing vehicle in the NFL Network. Raw materials might be $3. If it only appeals to coaches and you're only charging $30, that'd still be more than enough to justify it.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm sure that factors into it. But I can't imagine them not doing it because it's just so simple. If nothing else, it makes your hardcore fanbase extremely happy, and that's not a bad thing either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back