PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why isn’t Belichick being talked about as coach of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
:confused:

I have been looking at the mid-season awards and end of season predictions for NFL awards and I am really surprised that Belichick is not even mentioned as the NFL coach of the year. I understand that Andy Reid deserves a lot of recognition for what he has done in Kanas City and Sean Peyton return to the sidelines has turned the Saints around but have either of them or any coach overcome what Belichick has this season?

• Wes Welker left via free agency.
• Team forced to release Brandon Lloyd due to mental health issues.
• Team forced to release Kyle Love due to type 2 diabetes.
• Team released Brandon Deaderick due to locker room concerns.
• Aaron Hernandez arrested for murder and immediately released.
• Donald Jones forced to retire due to kidney disorder.
• Rob Gronkowski had 5 surgeries in 10 month period and missed the first 6 games of the season.
• Adrian Wilson placed on season ending injured reserve at the end of the preseason.
• Vince Wilfork suffered a season ending injury in week 4.
• Tommy Kelly suffered a season ending injury in week 5.
• Jerod Mayo suffered a season ending injury in week 6.
• Danny Amendola has missed 4 of the team’s first 9 games.
• Sebastian Vollmer suffered season a ending injury in week 8.
• Aqib Talib has missed his last 3 games with a hip injury.

The Hernandez situation on its own would be a hard enough feet for most head coaches. Belichick has led this team to a 7-2 record and the 2 games lost were by a combined 10 points and impacted by a random torrential rain storm and the officiating on an overtime field goal.

I know Belichick has been the most successful coach in the NFL for over a decade but for his performance this season to go unrecognized is distasteful in my opinion :der:

NFL midseason predictions: MVP, Rookie of the Year and more - NFL.com

1) This is par for the course for him. 7-2 is pretty ho-hum compared to past success.

2) He still has Tom Brady. That's enough for some people to discredit the job he's done.

3) There's a coach in KC right now who has taken a 2 win team and gotten them undefeated through 9 games. Until that train is derailed (which IMO is coming after their bye), I think Reid is CotY.

Winning Coach of the Year almost always requires coaching a team that stunk the year before.

1) This is par for the course for him. 7-2 is pretty ho-hum compared to past success.

2) He still has Tom Brady. That's enough for some people to discredit the job he's done.

3) There's a coach in KC right now who has taken a 2 win team and gotten them undefeated through 9 games. Until that train is derailed (which IMO is coming after their bye), I think Reid is CotY.

Reid is a bit of causation vs. correlation falsely in my opinion. He took a team absolutely loaded on the defensive side of the football at every level with players like Flowers, Berry, Houston, Poe and Hali just to name a few, added a quarterback who took his team to the 2011 NFC championship game to an offense with Charles and Bowe. Give Andy Reid credit sure, but I don’t know if I can sit here and say it couldn’t of happen with him.

Because BB the GM is killing BB the coach

Last 3 rookie classes these players are currently playing key roles on this team:

Nate Solder - LT
Marcus Cannon - RT
Ryan Mallett - Backup QB
Stevan Ridley - RB
Shane Vereen - 3rd down RB
Chandler Jones - RDE
Donta Hightower - SOLB
Alfonzo Dennard - RCB
Brandon Bolden - Backup RB
Aaron Dobson - X WR
Chris Jones - LDT
Michael Buchanan - Backup DE
Joe Vellano - RDT
Logan Ryan - Dime CB
Jamie Collins - WOLB

Belichick has made mistakes no doubt about it as a GM but you’d be hard pressed to find another GM that could match this output.

It isn't unusual for him. Every year there seems to be some major issue, and every year the Pats are competitive. The award tends to go to the "flavor of the week." Was BB more impressive in 2003, 2007 or 2010 with his coaching than he was in 2001, 2004, 2006, 2011, or this year? I don't think so.

He is a great coach, but Reid, barring a meltdown, will get the award. Is Reid a better coach? Not by a long shot.

Andy Reid has already clinched that title regardless of how far his team goes from here unless they miss the playoffs....no one is even close behind him.

How do you think would you feel about this team right now if any 3 of Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly, Gronkowski and Talib had been healthy for every game? How about all 5?

I agree with the OP, but working against BB is the fact that New England went deep in the playoffs last year. I doubt many voters will take a close-enough look to understand what the Pats have overcome this year to stay in contention.

As much as I hate to admit it, Wrecks Ryan might be a candidate if the Green Beans sneak into the playoffs. But Reid probably wins it going away despite walking into a ready-made situation personnel-wise.

Yeah the turnaround in KC is just too great to technically give it to BB right now. In my mind it's BB over Reid though when all is said and done this year. Most who watched KC knew they were a half decent QB/coach away from competing. 9-0, no, but it's still a lot of football left to play this year and obviously every close game has gone their way thus far. Most likely KC ends up a wild card and losing in the first 2 rounds, which isn't a shocking turnaround to me from what they had before Reid. It's just because of this amazing start, and if they do hold on to win the division I'd have to agree with Reid. For the Patriots to be 7-2 right now with all the injuries and FA losses/Killing this offseason is almost if not as amazing as KC's 9-0 though.

I'll never understand why continued success works against a coach.

How do you think would you feel about this team right now if any 3 of Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly, Gronkowski and Talib had been healthy for every game? How about all 5?

If all 5 were healthy, the Pats would probably be 9–0.

He would hate them as much as he always does. Borg is the #1 TROLL on this site, he only chimes in to say things that will piss people off. He has no interest in football or the Patriots other than to see if he can get a rise out of someone.

Depth was always an issue with this team regardless of the health of the front liners. DT, TE, WR. An Oline that gets manhandled vs certain match ups. A LB corp whose lack of speed gets exposed. Hey...I'm thrilled NE has been able to achieve such a strong record and I give BB all the credit in the world to be able to keep this winning machine rolling year in, year out while last years contenders turn into over night pretenders. That being said, I just don't think this team is championship caliber and I do think NE is fortunate that this year's NFL is rife with mediocrity.
When I stack this roster vs the 2004 roster......this group appears too top heavy and that formula rarely survives a 20 week season.

"Coach of the Year" is actually "Surprise Coaching Performance of the Year" award.

"Coach of the Year" is actually "Surprise Coaching Performance of the Year" award.

I would like the award to be based on "advantage achieved by strategic decision." For example, the coaching decision to deploy Talib vs Graham was a strategic decision that shifted/neutralized a perceived strength. And last year, kudos to the coaches that succeeded in deploying the read option offense. There has to be more to the award than having a stacked/healthy roster.

:confused:

I have been looking at the mid-season awards and end of season predictions for NFL awards and I am really surprised that Belichick is not even mentioned as the NFL coach of the year. I understand that Andy Reid deserves a lot of recognition for what he has done in Kanas City and Sean Peyton return to the sidelines has turned the Saints around but have either of them or any coach overcome what Belichick has this season?

• Wes Welker left via free agency.
• Team forced to release Brandon Lloyd due to mental health issues.
• Team forced to release Kyle Love due to type 2 diabetes.
• Team released Brandon Deaderick due to locker room concerns.
• Aaron Hernandez arrested for murder and immediately released.
• Donald Jones forced to retire due to kidney disorder.
• Rob Gronkowski had 5 surgeries in 10 month period and missed the first 6 games of the season.
• Adrian Wilson placed on season ending injured reserve at the end of the preseason.
• Vince Wilfork suffered a season ending injury in week 4.
• Tommy Kelly suffered a season ending injury in week 5.
• Jerod Mayo suffered a season ending injury in week 6.
• Danny Amendola has missed 4 of the team’s first 9 games.
• Sebastian Vollmer suffered season a ending injury in week 8.
• Aqib Talib has missed his last 3 games with a hip injury.

The Hernandez situation on its own would be a hard enough feet for most head coaches. Belichick has led this team to a 7-2 record and the 2 games lost were by a combined 10 points and impacted by a random torrential rain storm and the officiating on an overtime field goal.

I know Belichick has been the most successful coach in the NFL for over a decade but for his performance this season to go unrecognized is distasteful in my opinion :der:

NFL midseason predictions: MVP, Rookie of the Year and more - NFL.com

I've been wondering about that for some time now.

We know that many in the media dislike him. That hurts his chances the most.

He also has a lot of his victims scattered around the NFL who will never want to give him credit for anything.

Jealousy. The Pats win more than other teams.

Depth was always an issue with this team regardless of the health of the front liners. DT, TE, WR. An Oline that gets manhandled vs certain match ups. A LB corp whose lack of speed gets exposed. Hey...I'm thrilled NE has been able to achieve such a strong record and I give BB all the credit in the world to be able to keep this winning machine rolling year in, year out while last years contenders turn into over night pretenders. That being said, I just don't think this team is championship caliber and I do think NE is fortunate that this year's NFL is rife with mediocrity.
When I stack this roster vs the 2004 roster......this group appears too top heavy and that formula rarely survives a 20 week season.

I wouldn't say we are stacked. We are a very even team. 8th ranked defense and 8/9th ranked offense. That's a top ten (off of given ranks) not top heavy team. Top heavy was 2010-2012 years. A #1 O and last place D. That's top heavy/unbalanced IMO.

In a 53-man roster, name an NFL team that doesn't have depth issues when first-tier players fall out for the season? Better yet, since the Pats' roster sucks, what team has the roster that passes muster under your scrutiny and is built to endure the NFL season?

Try comparing the 2004 roster with the 2013 and multiply the 2004 number by 1.5 to adjust for cap differences. Maybe a savvy manager could get Brady for $5 million to ease the statistical distribution of salaries a bit, like he accepted as a 2004 salary.

And who was playing defensive back in that deep 2004 roster? I thought it was a wide receiver, but my memory is fading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back