PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is Welker returning punts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He returned a kickoff for a touchdown against the Colts.

He was also a CB in that game

The better question gr this argument is when was te last time Tate caught a pass 20yards or deeper but defence have to respect the speed he shows on KR. If I was a DC I would be more worried by branch or Hernandez going deep.

Edelman was in before he got hurt you need someone who has done it before and recently just to catch the kick.

Let's tally it up:

- The game was very tight, with a fierce battle for field position
- The wind was blowing like crazy
- Faulk is on IR
- Edelman took a full-speed Ray Lewis to the back of the head
- Tate has returned 1 punt in his NFL career

How can you NOT send Welker out to field punts late in that game?

Did anyone else notice edelman's maroney-esq feet shuffling on his PR's?

I was happy to see welker back there. Especially when playing a defense like B-more's field position is huge.

Dang it ! There might be some truth to the observation that Mr.Glass has spread his virus to Edelman before he left to Denver :eek:

Chung should do it. The ball would simply veer out of bounds at the 50 out of fear.

Chung should do it. The ball would simply veer out of bounds at the 50 out of fear.

If that was a facebook status I would have liked that but I love the way Chung just looks like he is gonna blitz and then drop off just to scare the linemen first

Seriously man.
I know he is good at it.
But really?
There HAS to be somone else who can do it. Edelman? One of the db's?
Edelman returned punt but he got hurt and left the game.

When the game is close towards the end, you do NOT want a rookie mistake so you put your best hands guy there for a fair catch.

But WTH? You don't want Wleker running with the ball? He should hit the turf after catching a pass?

It's football and one of Welker's strengths is running after the catch.

Put the ball in the hands of the guy who can do the most good. Do you recall how the Pats got good field position for the winning FG?

Always put the best man for the job out there, imo.

Has anyone seen any data the real injury risk vs reward in a punt return situation. How much more likely is Wes to get injured than in a WR position?
Last year, 100% likely to get hurt as WR, 0% likely to get hurt as PR. Just saying...

Last edited:
Last year, 100% likely to get hurt as WR, 0% likely to get hurt as PR. Just saying...

Good point! And Edelman's injury came as a receiver too, so that's 200%!

my buddy a Baltimore native and fan told me he wished Ray Lewis ate the ball and the game would have to be called:eek:

lucky for us that did not happen:p

Last edited:
I can't believe someone suggested Matt Slater. I'm having flashbacks of that kickoff bouncing off his facemask leading to a turnover. *Shudder*

Edelman returned punt but he got hurt and left the game.

When the game is close towards the end, you do NOT want a rookie mistake so you put your best hands guy there for a fair catch.

But WTH? You don't want Wleker running with the ball? He should hit the turf after catching a pass?

It's football and one of Welker's strengths is running after the catch.

Put the ball in the hands of the guy who can do the most good. Do you recall how the Pats got good field position for the winning FG?

I guess that all makes sense.
I guess I just assumed they had more guys that could handle it, but given the tight game and such, it was probably for the best.
Still though, maybe during the week they look into trying some other guys in practice?
Wheatley? Wilhite? You would think some of those guys did it in college.
I guess it's just me. I'd rather have him on the sideline looking at pictures of defenses before trotting onto the field with the O.

Anybody who thinks WW shouldn't be returning punts...you have the wrong coach.

Tony Dungy is the master of not playing folks to avoid injuries.

Bill Belichick puts the players on the field that are most likely to help the team win this game on this play. If an injury happens...it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots