Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why is this not making more news?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, May 20, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We have an example of a South Korean ship being attacked and sunk, killing almost 50 men. Last time I checked, South Korea was a formal ally of ours. When it first happened, we weren't exactly sure if it was an attack or an accident or a 50 year old mine or what... so maybe it was wise to let cooler heads prevail. But now, according to the news releases of that past couple days, it seems pretty clear that it was a deliberate act of murder committed by North Korea. And if killing almost 50 sailors isn't an act of war requiring a strong response, I don't know what is. But why is this matter a complete non-issue in the media, blogosphere, etc, etc?

I'd say this is the international crisis that Biden promised Obama, but it's tough to call something a crisis when no one seems to care (except, I assume, the families of the deceased).
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -2

Funny, I read this at lunch (in the journal) and wondered why it wasn't featured more prominently. When I saw the thread title, I wondered if it might be about this incident.

Seems pretty important to me.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Wolf, mark this date down....

I'm gunna AGREE with you here...This seems like a BFD (Big Fukcin Deal) on the surface (no pun intended)

From what I've been reading today about the incident is that N. Korea is threatening 'War' if the international community does so much as impose sanctions on them because of this act.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100520/D9FQGC2G0.html

Now...before we go all George Bush on them, lets get the facts. History has seen it play out that not all wars start because of actual events...some start because of rumors of conflict that never happened. ( I'm talking to YOU Gulf of Tonkin)

IF N. Korea did this, we need to bust them un the mouth.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lord-a-mercy, Chicowalker and I are on the same page! :eek: :eek:

EDIT: Lord-a-mercy, HolyDiver is on the same page too! :eek: :eek: :eek:
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree that we should be absoultely 100% sure the North did it before we respond. It's tough to know exactly what the investigation entailed since there really aren't many media reports on the matter, but I believe it was carried out by South Korea and included some torpedo parts (specifically the fin or propeller or something like that) found by a local (civilian) fisherman - but don't quote me on any of the specifics. IMHO, part of the problem comes from the lack of coverage this is receiving.

To me, the most important player to watch is China. If they get all indignant, proclaiming North Korea's innocence that's one thing. But if they back down and sort of mutter under their breath "gee, Kimmy, ya went a wee bit too far this time" then that would speak volumes.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I guess WE will have to keep this reporting alive... for now..

BBC News - South Korean navy ship sinks near sea border with North

South Korean officials played down earlier reports that it may have been the result of an attack by North Korea.

There was no sign of the North's military in the area where the ship sank, Yonhap said citing officials.

A South Korean presidential spokeswoman said it was premature to say what caused the Cheonan to sink.

I find it odd to say the least that one report from N. Korea claims they are willing to go to War if they are sanctioned because of this event, yet the South Koreans are hesitant to blame them...

Wouldn't it make more sense for N Korea to simply say, none of our ships did this, and none of our ships were even in the area? Instead of saying "We will go to war if you sanction us!"

I guess this is the reason we need more reporting on this incident. Something stinks.
  7. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So what's the Pentagon saying? I was actually going to post something this afternoon but the BS was on roids so I didn't bother. I'm glad someone said something, it IS a BFD. SK's one of our allies, NK's just rogue so who knows but I'm not buying their denial.

The question is, what if anything will the US do about it. Something stinks, then again I always think that way. History comes to mind but I digress;).
  8. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As I understand it anything but an intentional act by the NKer's is extremely unlikely. This was a mass murder/act of war or whatever you want to call it and it requires a proportionate response. We have a Navy and they have the world's most sophisticated submarines. I would support using one of those subs to inflict some punishment. I would also support an air strike designed to kill Kim I'll Sung. I do expect our Commander in Chief to consider all scenarios first. Time is NOT of the essence here, acting correctly is.
  10. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Hillary's supposed to go to SE Asia, next week I believe.
  11. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lusitania ?
  12. captain insano

captain insano Rookie

Ratings:
    +68 / 1 / -16

#11 Jersey

the sooner the nobama admin gets out of the white house the safer we will all be. god help us in the mean time.
  13. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

I'm absolutely shocked. Good on you.

That said, even if North Korea did it, I'm sure Obama would apologize to them.
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

What Kontra said ... :yeahthat: .
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

IF North Korea did such an act, it would be a defining response from Obama for sure. I really think your prediction is hyperbolic, but from his past actions, it would seem he has no problem with laying the smackdown on some enemies. We had the Somali pirates taken out by snipers, we've had countless drone attacks on Taliban, and Al Qaeda leaders in both Pakistan and Afghanistan. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled some kind of passive lethal action. Maybe ninjas or some invisible dragons?

One thing is for SURE...people on this message board seem to be more inquiring and concerned than the media or the pentagon...

Bravo PatsFans!
  16. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's been proven by investigation that it was not only NOT a mine but it was in fact a TORPEDO from a North Korean ship:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7132500.ece

South Korea and Japan both use models built to the similar specs as US Navy torpedoes, it wasn't one of their own nor was it one of the Japanese torpedoes.

Even our friends to the North are pissed at this action... AFP: Canada calls on North Korea to account for sinking warship

Here's a shot of the ship...take a look at the midsection under the roof AFP: Canada calls on North Korea to account for sinking warship

I've seen mine and smaller explosive blasts from WWI and WWII and in the modern era from mines and other outside explosions(USS Cole comes to mind) and there is no way in freaking hell that was a mine! That is a full on torpedo strike!
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

AP Video report

Report: North responsible for S. Korea disaster

This report said this happened in March, the investigation has concluded N. Korea's to blame.

there are also quotes from m the white house and from the UN....

This sure is odd....
  18. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is the most brazen attack in decades and one that had there not been two US wars going on they wouldn't have tried but it's not out of the ordinary...they do something this massive about once or twice a decade: World News Australia - Timeline: Clashes between Seoul and Pyongyang
  19. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

....:ditto:....
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Are you all nuts? We go to war and/or kill NK civilians?

Say NK did the deed and even admits it. We are allies of the SK's as much as they are ours. Why does it always work one way with these deals? Where were the SK troops in Afghanistan? I'm serious. Why are we automatically rushing to bomb the enemies of everyone we have ally status with?

Why the fu(k don't the SKs take care of their own sh!t? Why don't they go up and knock out a SK frigate or rowboat or whatever they have for a navy and call us if things go crazy after that? Are they worried about something? The Chinese sure don't want any part of this, do they?