Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why is there no great football teams this year?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by swheeler23, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are a few really good teams but no great teams. There are 10-12 teams who could win the Super Bowl but not one real stand out team. I guess this is what the Nfl wants. I have seen some really bad football games.I dont remember a season when so many games are so close.Any team could beat any team.
  2. K-Ro 25

K-Ro 25 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

after yesterday I think im going to give the Gants their due as a great team. They have a suffocating D, great run game and a very good QB. The titans as well are a great team they just are not sexy so people dont like to call them a great team.
  3. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Maybe that means there are more good football teams?

With so many probowlers off the field this year, it makes the NFL a lot more interesting and the team that wins the SB may very well be a team that only won 10 regular season games.
  4. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No Tom Brady and an erratic Peyton Manning makes it a wide open league.

Those two coupled with a sinking Chargers Team and the "High Powered" Cowboys foundering around, I think Pittsburgh and the NY Giants are the teams to beat - All due respect to Titans, for some reason I just can't see them going the distance.
  5. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

The Super Bowl Champion Giants were no fluke. As much as it pains us all to admit it - I think we should. They're for real.
  6. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

One word: INJURIES
    Some great football players are either injured or on injured reserve this season. The entire league has been affected by this.
  7. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Based on the way they have played, I would agree that them being there was no fluke.

However, if you don't think that Tyree catch was a fluke and Eli getting out of that scrum was a fluke then I don't know how to argue against it.
  8. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:agree: especially about the role that Brady's loss is playing this season. I still don't trust what we're seeing from the Colts though.
    After the SB I embraced the "One and done" philosophy for the Giants but they're really proving that (wish) wrong. They're a very complete team.

The biggest tank imo is the much-touted Cowboys:rolleyes:

All in all losing Brady really tipped the scales the most imo but some of the other early injuries have just been killer for all teams. BUT some of those early injuries weren't season ending so when some of those players return (Addai comes to mind), things could turn around in a hurry.

Meanwhile the Pats may not win pretty but they're one of the few teams who have been able to work around everything that's happened.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  9. D-Money

D-Money Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The giants pass rush is very good.I wish our pass rush was like that.
  10. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Because Tommy is out.
  11. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Our guys are getting better, though. :)
  12. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

No doubt, but, Ellis Hobbs INT earlier in the game was flukey, and it saved us points - it all evens out. Don't get me wrong, that was the most painful game I've ever watched of any sport or team I've followed and I get angry about it anytime I think of it, but honestly, I don't know if I can say we "deserved" to win the game anymore than they did.
  13. Sivy

Sivy Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

thats it right there, close the thread.
  14. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ummm did you watch the Giants game yesterday? By far the best team in the league. They beatdown the Steelers in Pittsburgh.
  15. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Beatdown? Did you watch the game?
  16. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the giants won b/c PIT's long snapper got hurt...
  17. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Why is there no great teams? Wow, bad grammar...
  18. cavtroop

cavtroop Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

There are 30 other teams in the league (besides the Pats) that wish their pass rush was that good.

What point are you trying to make?
  19. maryjane

maryjane Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Blashphemer!

I can think of a great team this year.

A team called:

THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS!!

ARe you forgetting that?

Must not be a blashphemer unless you're a troll.
  20. D-Money

D-Money Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I am not trying to make a point, i just miss the consistency of our pass rush back in the championship days.
  21. K-Ro 25

K-Ro 25 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

They still went down and scored a TD after that including a clutch 31 yd grab on 4th and 5. They won b/c their D slapped Pittsburgh in the mouth and they made plays when they needed to
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  22. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No way it was a beat down.

But, the Giants look good. Problem is if the old Eli shows up, they will have a hard time winning the/any game.
  23. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pitt lost because their offense was garbage. Ben did not look like himself... just kept making bad throws and bad decisions. The pressure wasn't even that much of an issue on a lot of bad plays. Plus their running game did pretty well against a solid Giants D, so Roethlisberger needs to take the blame here.
  24. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

As evidenced in yesterday's Giants-Steelers game, injuries is the #1 factor this year.
  25. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was a smashmouth, street fight, tough football game and the Giants were left standing at the end. Winning on the road is tough in the NFL especially when facing a 5-1 team. The results would be the same if the Giants and Pats play again.
  26. BRiZ

BRiZ Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

the Giants are dingleberries hanging off the Patriots @55es. Flukey reigning One Year Wonders should have lost to Pitt if the steelers didnt have to use an OLB to snap for a punt.
  27. D-Money

D-Money Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The giants will destroy the cowboys without Romo.I hate the giants but it seems like they are built for another run at the superbowl,i hope i am wrong.
  28. chrisfx811

chrisfx811 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't see a clear favorite either. Last year, it appeared the Pats, Colts, Cowboys, & Packers appeared to be the top tier with the Giants, Chargers & Jaguars next in line.

I'm not counting out anyone at this point, as injuries are spreading like wild fire this year, and I think we'll likely see something similar to last year in terms of an unexpected team, in the truest sense of the word, get it together just in time for the playoffs.

The Cowboys are playing through small injuries right now, but nothing that appears to threaten a potential playoff run. Same with the Eagles & Steelers.

The Pats can sneak their way semi-quietly into the playoffs, but I honestly don't know what to make of this team yet. A blowout loss to a bad Chargers team and an up and down Dolphins team, a blowout win against a Broncos team w/o a full strength QB, and a string of games against poor competition.

I think this season is the epitome of what the NFL has in mind in terms of parity. It will be interesting to see if it pans out for them $$$-wise, as last year was record setting in terms of ratings for single games.
  29. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Reasons why the BETTER so called teams are not so great is this...

Pittsburgh has NO offensive line - If you complain about our line it could be worse - The Steelers OL looks horrible

NY Giants - The WRs are erratic at times and not consistent enough,Theres not much other bad things to say about them but Burress needs to step it up a notch

Tennessee - Kerry Collins is hiding behind a GREAT defensive football team,they have one of the best defenses I have seen in quite a while BUT Collins sooner or later will have to show he can come out from under the defense and play like he was the starter before the season began,I am not so sure he can when its time to do it.

Washington - Wins on the road against top opponents but has some inconsistencies as seen in their 2 losses,I think if you want to compare a team to this years Patriots it could be the Redskins on the NFC side

New England - NO Tom Brady

Indianapolis - Manning banged up - NO offensive line

equaling a lot of good teams but no great ones - Giants are the closest to an Elite one IMO
  30. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +91 / 1 / -2

#24 Jersey

I think he means they out-physicaled the Pittsburgh Steelers. You can see it, honestly. The Steelers tried to come out and be physical with the Giants but all that got them was a couple of players being helped off to the sideline. Did you see Jacobs absolutely truck that one Steelers' defender (can't remember which one)? I'll give the Giants their due. They are a very, very good football team.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.