PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is the Pats offense so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEfan32

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I've been reSally starting to wonder why the Pats offense has been so good. They don't have a great RB, Stallworth and Welker are great, but some teams do have a better 2nd receiver.

RB- Maroney. He is a good back. Potential 1000-1300 yds a season guy, but there are teams with better RB's.

WR- Moss, Stallworth, Welker. Moss is the best receiver ever talent wise. He is a different breed of number 1 wr's. He has speed, size, hands. Stallworth is fast, but he is number 1 on a few teams and a great number 2 on most others. I see teams with Houzshmanzedah and Johnson, or Johnson and Williams, Wayne and Harrison. If you think about it, with Harrison, Wayne AND Addai, the Colts should have a better offense.

TE- Watson. Has been great. Top 10 TE in the league, but they don't REALLY need him. See Dallas, Washington, Miami.

O-Line- One of the best in the league. A huge reason they are doing great, but Indy had a good oline.

The Factor. Tom Brady. Even with Moss, there are teams you could argue have better talent when healthy. When you break it all down, Brady really is the best player of all time. With 1 HOF receiver, he is orchastrating the best offense ever.

We had a fine offense last year. Check the stats. We added Morris to replace thed declining Dillon. We then signed Kyle Brady to replace a departing blocking TE Graham.

We then ADDED Moss, Stallworth and Welker. And you think the difference maker is Brady? Brady may be the greatest QB ever, but the difference between last year and this is the upgrade at the WR position.

We had a fine offense last year. Check the stats. We added Morris to replace thed declining Dillon. We then signed Kyle Brady to replace a departing blocking TE Graham.

We then ADDED Moss, Stallworth and Welker. And you think the difference maker is Brady? Brady may be the greatest QB ever, but the difference between last year and this is the upgrade at the WR position.

My point though is you have other teams with a Johnson, Williams tandom or a Harrison/Wayne combo but they don't put up the same numbers.

give BB credit to changing the offense up inspite of the same set of coordinators and coaches and past system. This is not something many coaches can or will be willing to do. Consider how brady operates exclusively from the shotgun and even the running plays are from the shotgun.
This change and adjustment in the offensive scheme with the same playbook and coaches has been overlooked in my opinion. put the same players under another coaching staf and iam sure they will have problems adjusting how to use the players.

Two things have leapt out at me and neither is rocket science. One is that the receivers are so much better, especially Moss, who catches almost everything thrown anywhere near him. I can't ever recall seeing a Pats receiver who could have made that one handed grab against Indy or who could beat TREBLE coverage for the score against the Jets.

Then there is the O line. Where they had looked shaky at times against speed rushers, they look better. Of course, no one can keep the best DEs out all game, but they change tactics beautifully. Kudos to their schemes and the guys for this. It has been said that great O lines of the past benefited from years of playing together. This is the third year that this group has been together and it is starting to pay off.

I noticed on Sunday that Kaczur was really giving his opposite number a pasting at times in pass coverage. He didn't just block him, but really gave him some sh*t.

When a QB like Brady has so much time, it isn't any wonder that he will do so much damage.

I would also add that having such a good D means that the O gets the ball back quickly and the opponents' D doesn't get much rest.
progress.gif

I've been reSally starting to wonder why the Pats offense has been so good. They don't have a great RB, Stallworth and Welker are great, but some teams do have a better 2nd receiver.

RB- Maroney. He is a good back. Potential 1000-1300 yds a season guy, but there are teams with better RB's.

WR- Moss, Stallworth, Welker. Moss is the best receiver ever talent wise. He is a different breed of number 1 wr's. He has speed, size, hands. Stallworth is fast, but he is number 1 on a few teams and a great number 2 on most others. I see teams with Houzshmanzedah and Johnson, or Johnson and Williams, Wayne and Harrison. If you think about it, with Harrison, Wayne AND Addai, the Colts should have a better offense.

TE- Watson. Has been great. Top 10 TE in the league, but they don't REALLY need him. See Dallas, Washington, Miami.

O-Line- One of the best in the league. A huge reason they are doing great, but Indy had a good oline.

The Factor. Tom Brady. Even with Moss, there are teams you could argue have better talent when healthy. When you break it all down, Brady really is the best player of all time. With 1 HOF receiver, he is orchastrating the best offense ever.

If you are saying
" the reason PATs offense is SO GOOD is because the QB is Tommy Brady"
I agree.

Yes, in the past Tommy did not have the quality receivers he has now and
yet PATs had a top Ten offense.
He took cast off WRs last year and made the offense work.

If you replaced Tommy with Peyton the result would still be a very good
offense but do not believe it would be as good. JMO.

The PATs Oline is pretty good but even they attribute that to the fact
Tommy gets the ball out so fast their job is a lot easier.

I'll always remember a comment by Belichick in the early days of
Tommy's career. He said Tommy sees so much and processes
it very fast. BB said he would ask Tommy why he did a certain thing
and Tommy would have an answer. The he would check the film and
find that he was right. Tommy's mental ability gives him a big advantage.
He has quality receivers this year and it is allowing him to do things he
couldn't do with less quality receivers.

IMO, Tommy is the reason this offense is doing amazing things and breaking
all kinds of records. PATs offense would not as good with any another QB.
JMO.

Talent + Drive + Coaching.

New England has no equal in any of these categories this season.

I remember thinking that when we got Welker and Stallworth the Pats would have enough help at receiver to go deep in the play offs.
I still think the Pats would be very good with just those additions.
But when we got Moss. Holy Crap.
Moss is better than both those guys as good as they are.
So what's an offense going to do with receiver talent and qb talent?
Score a whole lot of points and win a lot of games.

Last edited:
It's not Brady.

My theory? All Josh McDaniels.

Two things have leapt out at me and neither is rocket science. One is that the receivers are so much better, especially Moss, who catches almost everything thrown anywhere near him. I can't ever recall seeing a Pats receiver who could have made that one handed grab against Indy or who could beat TREBLE coverage for the score against the Jets.

Then there is the O line. Where they had looked shaky at times against speed rushers, they look better. Of course, no one can keep the best DEs out all game, but they change tactics beautifully. Kudos to their schemes and the guys for this. It has been said that great O lines of the past benefited from years of playing together. This is the third year that this group has been together and it is starting to pay off.

I noticed on Sunday that Kaczur was really giving his opposite number a pasting at times in pass coverage. He didn't just block him, but really gave him some sh*t.

When a QB like Brady has so much time, it isn't any wonder that he will do so much damage.

I would also add that having such a good D means that the O gets the ball back quickly and the opponents' D doesn't get much rest.
progress.gif

I noticed that of Kaczur too G. Way to go you litttle canuck, give em ****...!!

I think we're learning that receivers DO make a huge difference in the NFL.

It's very hard to find a great offense that's lacking EITHER a great QB or great receivers.

One can have quite a good offense with an outstanding OL, a great RB, and questionable talent at passing and receiving. But the ones that look well-night unstoppable are the ones with the QBs and WRs. Of course, they have to have good OLs too.

I'll always remember a comment by Belichick in the early days of
Tommy's career. He said Tommy sees so much and processes
it very fast. BB said he would ask Tommy why he did a certain thing
and Tommy would have an answer. The he would check the film and
find that he was right. Tommy's mental ability gives him a big advantage.
He has quality receivers this year and it is allowing him to do things he
couldn't do with less quality receivers.

IMO, Tommy is the reason this offense is doing amazing things and breaking
all kinds of records. PATs offense would not as good with any another QB.
JMO.

I also agree with this.

Brady is probably the best ever in a spread offense.

That's probably why he was among the best ever at the 2-minute drive -- or in clutch situations in general -- long before he earned a spot among the best overall.

The logic you just used actually supports that Brady is the difference. The very fact the Patriots had a very good offensive season LAST year with no personnel (WR's) translates to Brady was the difference. Add some great receivers and now we have the (maybe) the best offensive team ever.

When a team can have a top offense with NO great receivers and the BEST offense by adding some great receivers, that tells us that Brady is the difference.

Had the Patriots had an average offensive season last year and then an excellent one this year, the difference would be the receivers. A "very good" QB could not lead this team to the best offense ever even with these receivers. As a matter of fact, a very good QB might not even have the #1 ranked offense with these receivers.

1. The best pass blocking offensive line in the NFL.
2. The best QB in the NFL.
3. 3 Recievers that cannot be single covered.
4. 3 Recievers that specialize in covering 3 zones of a downfield passing game. Moss deep, Stallworth Medium (RAC), Welker short/slot. Their skills compliment each other.

The combination of this talent allows for a receiver to be open on probably over 90% of all passing plays, with time to throw the ball, with a QB that is the best at finding a weakness in the defense and spotting the open guy.

Plus it doesn't hurt to be able to just say "when in doubt, chuck it up to MOSS" .

You've got to credit all the factors:
Great OL play, Great QB play, Great WR and TE play.

The sum of the parts is greater then the whole - leading to one of the most dominant offenses of all time. And that's not just hyperbole I'm throwing around, the numbers also support that statement.

Last edited:
In addition to great talent, such as a HOF QB and a WR with HoF talent, they have drive, discipline, consistency, and opportunity. Discipline to do things right and not do things wrong, like take dumb penalties. Opportunity that a good defense gives you. Fantical drive and preparation.

Other teams like Cincy have had great talent too.

I wish media people get that it's about execution. Take Salisbury this morning -- while praising the Pats, he says they will cover because they don't just want to win, they want to crush you (or something like that). Name me a team that does not want to crush its opponents. They succeed because of EXECUTION -- they execute the ofense consistently and they are very hard to stop. They have crushed defenses that were very highly ranked, before playing NE. They do this because of talent, and the other intangibles.

I've always shook my head and wondered why they were so good on both sides of the ball, I've always begrudgingly thought it has to be BB. I'm not knocking any of the players, honestly, now or in past years. But who wins with that crazy eyed receiver from last year or alot of the guys who have changed over the years or a Wideout playing DB.

Brady is obviously one of the best ever, if he stopped playing to day he's a first ballot hall of famer. You don't luck into winning 3 superbowls. Seymour in his prime seemed dominant, pre brain tumor Bruski, awesome.

Again don't take this as me slamming the players, not at all, they have to buy into the team.

I hate even more to admit it about the Detroit Pistons in basketball, they aren't necessarily, imho, the most talented team, but won the Title because they sacraficed for the great good.

Look at Moss, you'd have a hard time convincing me that over his career he wasn't..liking himself alot of himself. Now he's a soldier, seems like he'd run through brick walls for his team.

What's scary this year, is I think the Pats maybe the most talented on top of being the best coached.

Still alot of football left, though. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes