PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is the media here so negative against The Pats????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
It's happening here..a team wins 3 of 5 Superbowls..a few players have left and it is time to go against the home team. WRONG Borges has always been..and Cafardo has been in his footsteps running behind him...and now the golden boy Felger has shown his true colors..Tomase has joined the crowd...it seems as well... What is all of this about?? Just opportunism trying to feed on the Red Sox like mentality here?? The winers and chicken littles??
Just feed to them..get them started??? Just does not seem fair at all..luckily there is still Reiss, who reports fair and straight and Curran..who is also quite funny..but..I think it's pretty sad when a team does incredible well and a year or so removed the trashing starts.

I guess you already know the answers, but let's spell them out.

1. The Pats give very little information or access to reporters that isn't generally available (e.g. the news conferences are broadcast and transcripts put up on the web) so it's very difficult for a reporter to get a story by using special access. The main way to get a scoop is to put a story out earlier than everyone else, and Mike Reiss (and to some extent Tom Curran) seem to have that aspect sewn up.

2. This means that a lot of reporters are more or less op-ed writers -- taking publicly available facts and interpreting them in one way or another.

3. Some writers/media have a pro-Red-Sox (which translates into an anti-Pats) agenda.

4. Some writers are, apparently, unsackable.

5. Some writers believe that by being "controversial" (i.e. writing the opposite of what their readers would like to hear) they are showing integrity and journalistic principles.

6. R*n B*rges is a sad and resentful failure.

Mike the Brit said:
I guess you already know the answers, but let's spell them out.

1. The Pats give very little information or access to reporters that isn't generally available (e.g. the news conferences are broadcast and transcripts put up on the web) so it's very difficult for a reporter to get a story by using special access. The main way to get a scoop is to put a story out earlier than everyone else, and Mike Reiss (and to some extent Tom Curran) seem to have that aspect sewn up.

2. This means that a lot of reporters are more or less op-ed writers -- taking publicly available facts and interpreting them in one way or another.

3. Some writers/media have a pro-Red-Sox (which translates into an anti-Pats) agenda.

4. Some writers are, apparently, unsackable.

5. Some writers believe that by being "controversial" (i.e. writing the opposite of what their readers would like to hear) they are showing integrity and journalistic principles.

6. R*n B*rges is a sad and resentful failure.[/QUOTE

That's pretty much it in a nutshell!

But is it all just that?? Is it the I want to be controversial? Look at me sort of thing?? The more I see it..these writers lack integrity,,that word should never even be spoken in the same sentence of some of these buffoons. They have NONE..zip!! And if one looks at the Patriots in a larger persepctive of time, their whiines and squawks are even more feeble and ridiculed. They are not looking at the Patriots circa Mazur or Rust when they were clueless..we are viewing a team that is the most respected in the league!! And if these wish to be looked at, it should be with laughter and ridicule...for really that is all that they deserve..(and maybe a lot of yawning and contempt as well.).
Put what the Patriots have done in context and trash them like these writers
continue to do?? Who is foolish and dumb??? WRONG makes a life of being contrarian and carrying an anti-BB stick..and he is the best at that. The others are just trying to stir up the pot and cause trouble. I love it that these writers have to actually work to get things...they show all the time that they have little energy, thought or wisdom.

Pats726 said:
But is it all just that?? Is it the I want to be controversial? Look at me sort of thing?? The more I see it..these writers lack integrity,,that word should never even be spoken in the same sentence of some of these buffoons. They have NONE..zip!! And if one looks at the Patriots in a larger persepctive of time, their whiines and squawks are even more feeble and ridiculed. They are not looking at the Patriots circa Mazur or Rust when they were clueless..we are viewing a team that is the most respected in the league!! And if these wish to be looked at, it should be with laughter and ridicule...for really that is all that they deserve..(and maybe a lot of yawning and contempt as well.).
Put what the Patriots have done in context and trash them like these writers
continue to do?? Who is foolish and dumb??? WRONG makes a life of being contrarian and carrying an anti-BB stick..and he is the best at that. The others are just trying to stir up the pot and cause trouble. I love it that these writers have to actually work to get things...they show all the time that they have little energy, thought or wisdom.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and lived there during the Steelers Dynasty 1970s years. Trust me, it was not the same negatism filled atmosphere that is prevalent in the Boston media. The Pittsburgh area scribes even thought that winning SBs was good for the local area and people and would not trash the players or coach every bump in the road. They enjoyed the moment. Here, the media wants to be the center of attention, their egos are huge. They think everyone turns on their radios and TVs every day to see and hear them spin what is actually happening, not to see and hear what the local sports teams are doing for themselves.

Here it is sports talk 24/7 and they have to uncover and spin a lot of stories to fill that much time. Therefore, they are not content saying the Pats won another SB, but would rather talk endlessly about how BB doesn't cooperate with them and feed into their little schemes. Those schemes are actually how they (media) can best further their own careers via covering the local sports teams. The sports teams and their managers, players and folks in charge of those teams are only stepping stones and fodder along the way for these "reporters" reaching their personal career goals. They "use" the teams for their own benefit. As soon as folks understand that fact, they can get what is said constantly in the correct perspective.

I have been living here for nearly 30 years now and I am always amazed at the media's negative spin on every event. But, I guess, they are only doing what their consumers want. So, if we have any problem with how the sports news is spun here, I guess we have no further to look than in the mirror.

Last edited:
Fumblerooski said:
Here, the media wants to be the center of attention, their egos are huge. They think everyone turns on their radios and TVs every day to see and hear them spin what is actually happening, not to see and hear what the local sports teams are doing for themselves.

I have been living here for nearly 30 years now and I am always amazed at the media's negative spin on every event. But, I guess, they are only doing what their consumers want. So, if we have any problem with how the sports news is spun here, I guess we have no further to look than in the mirror.
Man, that's some beautiful work. You couldn't be more dead on.

Fumblerooski said:
I grew up in Pittsburgh and lived there during the Steelers Dynasty 1970s years. Trust me, it was not the same negatism filled atmosphere that is prevalent in the Boston media. The Pittsburgh area scribes even thought that winning SBs was good for the local area and people and would not trash the players or coach every bump in the road. They enjoyed the moment. Here, the media wants to be the center of attention, their egos are huge. They think everyone turns on their radios and TVs every day to see and hear them spin what is actually happening, not to see and hear what the local sports teams are doing for themselves.

Here it is sports talk 24/7 and they have to uncover and spin a lot of stories to fill that much time. Therefore, they are not content saying the Pats won another SB, but would rather talk endlessly about how BB doesn't cooperate with them and feed into their little schemes. Those schemes are actually how they (media) can best further their own careers via covering the local sports teams. The sports teams and their managers, players and folks in charge of those teams are only stepping stones and fodder along the way for these "reporters" reaching their personal career goals. They "use" the teams for their own benefit. As soon as folks understand that fact, they can get what is said constantly in the correct perspective.

You
hammer_nail.gif
it Fumblerooski.

Fumblerooski said:
Trust me, it was not the same negatism filled atmosphere that is prevalent in the Boston media.
Thank you for that perspective...I think it is helpful to see how media in other cities responded to a team that has won it all over years.a dynasty..and it saddens me that the response here is so so poor. I mean critical is one thing when there is a reason to be..lacking perspective is another...big fault
Fumblerooski said:
Here, the media wants to be the center of attention, their egos are huge. They think everyone turns on their radios and TVs every day to see and hear them spin what is actually happening, not to see and hear what the local sports teams are doing for themselves.
Here it is sports talk 24/7 and they have to uncover and spin a lot of stories to fill that much time. Therefore, they are not content saying the Pats won another SB, but would rather talk endlessly about how BB doesn't cooperate with them and feed into their little schemes. Those schemes are actually how they (media) can best further their own careers via covering the local sports teams. The sports teams and their managers, players and folks in charge of those teams are only stepping stones and fodder along the way for these "reporters" reaching their personal career goals. They "use" the teams for their own benefit.
I do see that..and the media should NOT be at all..and I hardly look at the media that way..but you are very very correct in all that you are saying. hitting the nail ON the head...I just find it annoying and sad..and reallymaking a career out of being so petty and off the mark..what they gain might be steps..but what they lose is respect..I have NONE for most...As I said Reiss..Curran and who else??

F.B.N. said:
You
hammer_nail.gif
it Fumblerooski.

I have to disagree to a degree.:singing: The media here holds fans in contempt. You can tell by there attitude when they take callers and when they speak of "fans'.

I find it really ironic when they refer to BB as arrogant. There is nothing more arrogant than these media a-holes.

Not living up in Boston, I have to seek out the a-holes (Borges et al.) to have any kind of contact with them. Down here, we have 'Skins coverage, which alternates between "will this really get us over the hump and into the playoffs?" and "oh yeah with all the big names we bought this year, there's no way we can lose the Super Bowl..."

And there's lots to report on here. We have Portin Clitoris wearing new wigs every week during the season, by way of commentary on the team's collective state of mind; we have occasionally readable tealeaves from the coaching staff; we have players who don't mind speaking out and acting out in this neck of the woods.

But as I've always said, I've chosen a very very boring team to follow (the Pats). Now think about having that team to cover.

The press, like any other species of pack animal, prefer to chase down and kill their meat fresh. If this is not possible, they would like their handlers to provide them fresh meat. If their handlers are not obliging, the pack will turn on the handlers themselves as a source of fresh meat. Finally, if this does not work, the starving pack will resort to cannibalism.

I say keep starvin' 'em. If anything, the preponderance of speculation shows there's nothing concrete to go on - and media silence seems to be a principal of the present ownership.

Please note, I cannot condone this approach for political leadership. But for running a winning team? Suuuure.

PFnV

As a person who was born and bred in Boston and still lives here, my perspective is that it's not just the media. To me, the mindset of Boston has always been one that, while admiring and even idolizing success on the surface, fundamentally actually resents and covets it. In fact, to me the media reflects the mindset; not the other way around. So, when icons -- whether individual or institutional (and not just sports icons) "finally" show a bit of weakness or flaw -- they get yanked off their perch and ripped to shreds with, what seems, true sadistic elation. I realize I am speaking in broad socialogical generalities here and it perhaps sounds like BS to most and there are numerous exceptions I am sure, but this is just my impression built up over the years about "success and failure" in this town whether in business or sports or politics or academia.

The Boston media absolutely thrives on negativity, it is not just the Pats. They have been indoctrinated into team disintegration and erosion because they've had over 86 years of practice at mindless, unnecessary self-flagellation and despair. They are absolute experts at it. They never have and never will be satisfied with, or appreciative of, any of their champions until the championships are long gone. They prefer to dwell in self-inflicted abject misery and try to tear the teams, coaches and players down.

If they don't actually have misery then they do their best to manufacture it through flat out lies, misinformation, unsubstatiated innuendo and personal dislikes. The Boston media (with very few exceptions) are the "tuned to their own private agendas" worst kind of unappreciative, back-stabbing band of jackals and parasites. They are not, and never have been, interested in any of the teams fans. They care only about themselves and their grossly overinflated egos and overestimated selfworth. :mad:

Newtonian said:
As a person who was born and bred in Boston and still lives here, my perspective is that it's not just the media. To me, the mindset of Boston has always been one that, while admiring and even idolizing success on the surface, fundamentally actually resents and covets it. In fact, to me the media reflects the mindset; not the other way around. So, when icons -- whether individual or institutional (and not just sports icons) "finally" show a bit of weakness or flaw -- they get yanked off their perch and ripped to shreds with, what seems, true sadistic elation. I realize I am speaking in broad socialogical generalities here and it perhaps sounds like BS to most and there are numerous exceptions I am sure, but this is just my impression built up over the years about "success and failure" in this town whether in business or sports or politics or academia.
I think you have hit the nail on the head very well indeed also. And add to that what PatsFaninVA alludes to in pack behavior which has a similarity in the supported challenges to the the leader. There is also more to the frequent Chicken Little syndrome than just misplaced alarm. There is also the element of perverse desire to see things breaking.

Fumblerooski's comment on looking in the mirror is so pertinent. There is such a strong contingent of folks who view the glass as 1/8 empty for gosh sakes - just fundamental personality outlook. And they have a lot of energy to bash the folks who look at the glass as 7/8 full - or even hopefully full ! Course, a number of the full-glass folks bash right back. Is it any wonder that we see the same syndrome in the sports writers ? Some of the media segments are even based on that, for gosh sakes, with two or more pundits bashing each other from different viewpoints.

Mike the Brit had such a good perspective on the environment of what is going on. He was a little light on Borges - I'm sure a lot more adjectives occur to folks. The ones that first come to my mind are spiteful, mean, nasty, snide, and pursuing a vendetta - for who in the heck knows what reason(s). His venom certainly seems beyond any simple motive to just be provocative or get attention or sell newspapers.

The thing that may really tick me off the most is the demonstrated narrow-minded arrogant judgments that these pundits make on individual issues - for WHATEVER reason. They just simply can't be that ignorant of how each of these decisions by the Patriots fits into the overall picture of building a team with the highest likelihood of winning a superbowl within the salary cap constraints. They blithely advocate keeping all favorites at whatever price they demand AND signing high price tag free agents that their current team has decided ISN'T worth the price. All this without any semblance of a thoughtful scenario of how this fits into the building of the overall roster with enough money spent on solid backups and potential future strong players. They certainly don't address which of the current middle class players would have to be cut in order to pay these big pricetags. Can you imagine their comments if the Patriots followed the media's ignorant choices and then started cutting some of the favorite middle class players ? It would be a media bloodbath. Or if the Pats had kept McGinest, Givens, Vinatieri, and even possibly Fauria, Hawkins, Ashworth, etc. and had absolutely not enough money left to resign Seymour and Branch ? Boy wouldn't that have stirred up some media storm ? After they had ALREADY criticized the Pats for not signing these guys and getting themselves into that very situation. ? Geesh. Either they can't add or they want to pretend that there is some magic other than simple addition and to ignore reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes