PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is the Jets D so much more effective than the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? That was a bad signing. Cromartie looked great last week, he'll blow his assignment gambling for interceptions this week, and he'll fracture his hip again next week.

Are you telling us you would not take Cromartie immediately as the #1 corner right now and toss Butler and Wilhite to the Bench?

Cromartie at this point is tons better than anything we got with Bodden gone.

Last edited:
BB is stretched too thin and his insistence on staying the course and promoting [in theory] only guys that worked their way up through HIS system has left us with a seemingly subpar coaching situation at the moment.

Yes, this is exactly the problem. It's like a major corporation that gets groupthink and keeps hiring from within, quickly losing touch with the changing world outside.

Bend and break does not work. It has not worked for at least 3 years. Yet BB keeps forcing it down our throats. It is an astonishing lack of foresight from someone who is supposedly a "defensive genius". It is a recipe for failure that was briefly covered up by Brady's brilliance.

Defense nowadays is about speed, muscle, and attacking the quarterback.

This sit back and let the QB chill out approach is lame defense, and Belichick should be ashamed. Rex Ryan may be a doorknob, but he is a far better defensive coordinator right now.

Yes, this is exactly the problem. It's like a major corporation that gets groupthink and keeps hiring from within, quickly losing touch with the changing world outside.

Bend and break does not work. It has not worked for at least 3 years. Yet BB keeps forcing it down our throats. It is an astonishing lack of foresight from someone who is supposedly a "defensive genius". It is a recipe for failure that was briefly covered up by Brady's brilliance.

Defense nowadays is about speed, muscle, and attacking the quarterback.

This sit back and let the QB chill out approach is lame defense, and Belichick should be ashamed. Rex Ryan may be a doorknob, but he is a far better defensive coordinator right now.
you guys make BB sound like Al Davis .....
BB's good strength is to adapt. look at our offense, how he transformed it in 2007 working with urban meyer. Iam sure he know what ails his scheme too if there is any.
IMO, the scheme is fine. They dont have the players to run it so you can blame misses in the draft or inadequate managing of the rosters but dont just keep blaming the scheme. BB knows how to call zero blitzes all the time like rex ryan's D does. We saw what Brady did to that in the first half. The second half last week Rex Ryan played exactly like BB did vs the colts/rams - play coverage.He just has better players thats all.
Give BB some experienced LB's and a stout D Line and this scheme will work fine so blame the roster setup if you'd like but blaming scheme and playcalling isnt the solution , at least in my personal opinion.

Dude – do you realize that this is a different offense from last year? They played 2 games and are ranked as the number 3 offense after 2 games by football outsiders. Last week they played against a decent defense on the road and made some critical errors - but the logical educated observer would see that this offense has tremendous upside and is a work in progress.

Brady as always is the key and he looks like he is close to getting his mojo back. I predict that the Pats will finish the season with a top 5 offense in both points scored and in Football Outsiders DVOA. What say you?

I'm not as optimistic as you are. I would like to think you are correct but I'm not sold on stats vs wins. All that matters is the score at the end of the game.

And here it goes. I always joked that Boston fans eventually turn on everyone, and even Brady would get his turn. Watching it happen is like a slow-motion train wreck. He's clearly struggled at times for the past year or so, but come on. Really?

Turning on Brady? Nice try, but not likely. I calls them as I sees them. He's
clearly struggled at times? You can't have it both ways. Either the offense
in general is not working and Tom is fine or, Tom is part of the problem. Our
second half collapses (both offense and defense) are becoming legendary and
they seem to be going to be a big part of our playbook again this year.

Seven pages later, the question still hasn't been answered.

I'm not as optimistic as you are. I would like to think you are correct but I'm not sold on stats vs wins. All that matters is the score at the end of the game.

Correct - Wins and Losses trump other predictive stats because it’s the actual end result. The fun part, at least for me, is to try and predict results based on available information. It’s easy to be down on the Pats after a loss but a bit more difficult to predict the future based on the loss.

Seven pages later, the question still hasn't been answered.

The answer is Ryan defense attacks where the Pats play read and react.. Same stuff happened in dallas before W. Philps came over. There defense with Parcells restricted the players.. SHortly after he left, the players were happy with teh ability to attack the ball.. I'm not a W.Philps fan at all but with the same guys, he was able to get more production..
Only thing that changed was scheme..

Look at PLayers that leave Balt and Pitt.. Specifically the LB's.. They are never able to reproduce their production..

or look at the Jets from two years ago.. Mangini had a very avg defense, Ryan comes in last year with basically the same team and he all world Revis and a defense ranked #1.. BY chance?? no.. Scheme.. not players..

Last edited:
Let me finish with this..

U want to see what having good coordinators can do for a team.. Go watch KC.. See, with the same personel what a difference Weiss and Romo are doing for that team..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back