PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is the Jets D so much more effective than the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jets do have better personnel in MOST areas. D-back for sure. Lb's for sure. They have a good blend of youth and vets. They have a killer attitude. Personally, I think the Pats defense - minus the d-line - has been mediocre at best the last few years. Not sure where you get better than average.

I agree it's been mostly mediocre. My OP qualified mediocre to slightly-above-average, and I feel the D at the end of 2008 (aka Year of the Cassel) was actually playing pretty well and that team could have made some noise in the playoffs.

It's the talent and experience. Belichick's scheme has been accused of being outdated dozens of times, only to very much prove itself when his players finally start getting the cohesion going. Right now we have a ton of young players who are trying to adapt not only to life in the NFL, but to one of the toughest schemes to learn in the league. Give it time. I see lots of talent on this defense and I think they'll be a top-5 unit within the next few seasons.

Talent.
I'm not saying that read-and-react isn't to blame for some of our defensive struggles, but at the end of the day the Patriots are fielding an abject lack of talent at a one or two positions. When one front seven player is guaranteed to lose their individual matchups every sunday, its like 10 v. 11.

David Harris, Darrelle Revis and Shaun Ellis are all top 5 players at their position right now, and there's other high calibre guys as well (Pace, Thomas, Leonhard, Scott, sometimes Cromartie).
But more importantly, The Jets field 11 guys who can compete.

Talent.
I'm not saying that read-and-react isn't to blame for some of our defensive struggles, but at the end of the day the Patriots are fielding an abject lack of talent at a one or two positions. When one front seven player is guaranteed to lose their individual matchups every sunday, its like 10 v. 11.

David Harris, Darrelle Revis and Shaun Ellis are all top 5 players at their position right now, and there's other high calibre guys as well (Pace, Thomas, Leonhard, Scott, sometimes Cromartie).
But more importantly, The Jets field 11 guys who can compete.

Dunno what's gotten into Shaun Ellis these past two weeks, but watching him has made me miss Warren and Seymour even more than I did already.

I believe when you play a read and react defense it is just a matter of time before offenses figure you out, especially when you're playing that style with a bunch of JAGS at pass rushing positions. I think the penetration type defenses (like JYJ and Balt) lead to a lot more negative yardage plays, which make offenses more predictable. Sure, there is a possibility of getting burned when you just try to explode into the backfield (see Fred Taylor's run that was called back), but you are going to get your share of tackles for loss. This limits the types of plays offenses can run when they're facing 2nd and 3rd and long. It also increases the opportunitites for turnovers, disrupts running lanes and creates confusion amongst the O line. For the last couple of years it just seems ordinary QBs are becoming way to comfortable playing against the vaunted BB D. Henne, Orton, Sanchez, Edwards even had a 114 qb rating against the Pats in games 1.

Jets ilb are much better.
Jets olbs are better.
Pats safties are the same.
Jets d line is better
Jets CBS are better.
Jets scheme is better.
Jets are better coached that adjusts to it's personnel

Jets ilb are much better.
Jets olbs are better.
Pats safties are the same.
Jets d line is better
Jets CBS are better.
Jets scheme is better.
Jets are better coached that adjusts to it's personnel
And Tom Brady had a suck game, mustn't forget that.

181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

it's not easy to tell collage kids to pretty much let the offense move up and down the field and then keep them out the end zone, when all they know is to attack

and the jets just have a much better front 7 the pats OLB's other then TBC are a joke

I couldn't believe all the laughing over here when The Jets signed Cromartie. All the sniggering about how he couldn't tackle. What most didn't bother to consider was he was gonna be their number TWO corner. Saying you wouldn't want Antonio Cromartie for your number two corner opposite Revis was just delusional over here. My God.

And if BB really believes that the only stat that matters is who has more points at the end of the game then he needs to have a little chit chat with his megastar QB. 14 points? Against a D that wasn't exactly beating the Patriots down. Brady's play in the 2nd second half was the most disappointing aspect of yesterday's game.

This! I'm not pushing the panic button just yet but Mr Bunchen needs to step
up his game quite a bit. Totally unacceptable play that seems to be more the
norm lately.

I agree.

The jets have chosen to use their resources to devlop one of the best defenses in the nfl. We have used our resources to develop one of the best offenses in the nfl.

Jets 28 - Pats 14? Sounds like their offense is better than ours. Take their
crappy offense against our crappy defense and they score twice as much.
Your theory doesn't add up.

Jets 28 - Pats 14? Sounds like their offense is better than ours. Take their
crappy offense against our crappy defense and they score twice as much.
Your theory doesn't add up.

:confused:

Umm, it's one game--Brady sucked, our D sucked (if I'm not mistaken, that was pretty much the point he was trying to make :rolleyes:). To say that the Jets have a better offense than us based on that game is just.....wow--I don't even know how it could be possible to be more wrong.

Stubborly sticking with what has worked in the past ironically could be what is slowly killing this team. All teams have key injuries, so the lack of talent argument doesn't hold a lot of water IMO.
Agree
They have ignored drafting some of the more athletic defensive prospects in favor of players that smarter players better suited to BB's scheme. Bend don't break simply isn't as working anymore against the better offenses in the league. I wish that BB had made Dom Capers the DC and let him run the defensive the way he wanted. Seems like he's done a good job with Green Bay.
I'm not sure who you had in mind that the Pats should've drafted but I was extremely disappointed when they drafted Wheatley over Terrell Thomas.

Although the Packers get lit up from time to time, I was hoping that Capers was going to be the Pats DC, but I knew it wasn't going to happen because he and BB have different styles.

In addition, Capers has more to work with in Green Bay - two physical cover CB's, a combination of a ball hawking S and hard hitting S, a pass rushing freak OLB, and solid role players. On the other hand, the Pats really don't have anything at this point.

Last edited:
I couldn't believe all the laughing over here when The Jets signed Cromartie. All the sniggering about how he couldn't tackle. What most didn't bother to consider was he was gonna be their number TWO corner. Saying you wouldn't want Antonio Cromartie for your number two corner opposite Revis was just delusional over here. My God.

Huh? That was a bad signing. Cromartie looked great last week, he'll blow his assignment gambling for interceptions this week, and he'll fracture his hip again next week.

Linebackers. It's all about the linebackers. When was he last time a pats outside linebacker has made a play of any consequence?

:confused:

Umm, it's one game--Brady sucked, our D sucked (if I'm not mistaken, that was pretty much the point he was trying to make :rolleyes:). To say that the Jets have a better offense than us based on that game is just.....wow--I don't even know how it could be possible to be more wrong.

Clearly you are confused if you think we have a great offense. A great offense
would deliver. Lately we deliver only when the competition seems to be that
of a grade 'B' program. We are much less successful against the stronger teams
in the league and it is at the point where we generally lose those games. Keep
on believing that this offense is something spectacular. It isn't, and it seems to
be getting very easy to shut down by most teams that have any degree of
defensive quality with their program. Our defense is just plain awful and I am almost
at a loss for words to describe just how bad it is. They need to rename it the
"Bend, then Break" defense.

Maybe the kids improve during the season but I for one am not expecting any
degree of success this season. Another rebuilding year.

Mr Bundchen also needs to come back to planet earth. He ain't getting it done.

Clearly you are confused if you think we have a great offense. A great offense
would deliver. Lately we deliver only when the competition seems to be that
of a grade 'B' program. We are much less successful against the stronger teams
in the league and it is at the point where we generally lose those games. Keep
on believing that this offense is something spectacular. It isn't, and it seems to
be getting very easy to shut down by most teams that have any degree of
defensive quality with their program. Our defense is just plain awful and I am almost
at a loss for words to describe just how bad it is. They need to rename it the
"Bend, then Break" defense.

Maybe the kids improve during the season but I for one am not expecting any
degree of success this season. Another rebuilding year.

Dude – do you realize that this is a different offense from last year? They played 2 games and are ranked as the number 3 offense after 2 games by football outsiders. Last week they played against a decent defense on the road and made some critical errors - but the logical educated observer would see that this offense has tremendous upside and is a work in progress.

Brady as always is the key and he looks like he is close to getting his mojo back. I predict that the Pats will finish the season with a top 5 offense in both points scored and in Football Outsiders DVOA. What say you?

Last edited:

And here it goes. I always joked that Boston fans eventually turn on everyone, and even Brady would get his turn. Watching it happen is like a slow-motion train wreck. He's clearly struggled at times for the past year or so, but come on. Really?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back