PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is the defense soooo much better this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Curious to what you guys think the main reasons are. Pretty much the same crew + Tommy Kelly. Even without Wilfork still a really good defense. Talib seems to have gone from pretty good to elite.

Main reason....Talib. LB play and Jones

OP I think you should repost this about 6:45pm next Sunday we will know much more.:D

Talib.

Done.

BB won't pay him and then we'll go right back to being last in the league. Don't worry.

If Kelly's injury is worse than he says,I don't know how this defense will handle 2 losses at DE in 2 weeks,it would devastate this defense up front.

1. Improved pass rush.

2. Improved CB play.

3. Improvement at FS.

After this year when the team no doubt loses Talib when someone is willing to pay him more than they are in FA, Dennard will be the CB1 and they'll either have to hope for improvement from Ryan or find a CB2 through the draft or FA.

Really sucks Talib didn't sign that multi year 5m a year deal. Dude really made a great call to bet on himself. Redskins better not have cap room.

Two rookie QBs, Josh Freeman and Andy Dalton. Even Matt Ryan gaffed on that 4th down throw. OK, OK I'll give the defense some credit but let's not crown their azzis yet.

Talib had been very good and they haven't been decimated with injuries (yet.) They've also gotten some interior pass rush which I haven't seen from this team in years.

Now about covering Tight Ends.....

Continuity for the first time in a long time.

1. Improved pass rush.

2. Improved CB play.

3. Improvement at FS.

After this year when the team no doubt loses Talib when someone is willing to pay him more than they are in FA, Dennard will be the CB1 and they'll either have to hope for improvement from Ryan or find a CB2 through the draft or FA.

Do you think Dennard is too small to be a #1 though? Say lining up on jones or Johnson..fitz ect

Because I am with you now...Talib is 100% gone this year to a HUGE deal

1. Improved pass rush.

2. Improved CB play.

3. Improvement at FS.

Why are you ruling out the franchise tag? Sure it's expensive but he's the perfect combo of bad character/position need to use it on.

A lot of the young guys have more experience in the system and we now have a shut down corner. Injuries are starting to mount, however.

Nobody is going to like hearing this but aside from continuity the second biggest reason our defense looks improved is because our offense isn't nearly as good. Opponents are facing much less pressure to score quickly.

Nobody is going to like hearing this but aside from continuity the second biggest reason our defense looks improved is because our offense isn't nearly as good. Opponents are facing much less pressure to score quickly.

So the defense is better because teams don't feel like they need to score?

I'd like to nominate this for dumbest post of the season.

Same reason why many of us have been optimistic for a while now; the cupboard had been getting restocked and the team was just lacking experience and continuity. Hopefully the DT injuries won't blow a gaping hole in their successful rebuild.

So, who do I owe a sig to again? Mcgolby, or something like that?

I say Talib is the main reason but I feel Dennard has improved a lot. I think the whole DBs are playing different, not giving the usual 10 yard cushion at the line of scrimmage like in the recent years. I might be wrong but I thought I noticed that.

I strongly disagree. If opponents didn't feel the pressure then all of those fourth down attempts against us would look even more silly. I don't remember our defense having to deal with so many fourth down attempts in years even when we don't have the lead.

Talib mostly, but also Dennard
Better tackling/getting to the ball faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill