PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Is Sopoaga Still On the Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sopoaga counts against the Patriots in the compensatory picks calculations as I and others suspect, he will also cost us a 6th round comp pick in 2014. The compensatory picks will be announced later this month.

He was acquired in a trade, how does he factor in comp picks? He already cost a fifth and was acquired along with a sixth rounder.

If I keep saying it, it will happen… My mom said I could make my dreams come true as long as I did not give up on them…:D

I just hope your Mom didn't tell you that you're gonna go blind thing

He was acquired in a trade, how does he factor in comp picks? He already cost a fifth and was acquired along with a sixth rounder.

Because he was an UFA last year. He will count for the 49ers as a loss. In the past signed UFAs acquired in a trade have counted against the team that traded for them as an UFA gain.

Because he was an UFA last year. He will count for the 49ers as a loss. In the past signed UFAs acquired in a trade have counted against the team that traded for them as an UFA gain.

OK, wasn't aware of that. Seems like a pointless rule. Pats should have taken that into account, basically cancels out the pick they had coming back. Everybody else could see he stunk this year.

So the Niners get the pick he was traded for, get rid of his bloated salary and now maybe a comp pick on top of that while the Pats get the salary cap hit, a few games of awful play and the loss of a comp pick. Great.

All of a sudden the Sopoaga trade looks even worse.

OK, wasn't aware of that. Seems like a pointless rule. Pats should have taken that into account, basically cancels out the pick they had coming back. Everybody else could see he stunk this year.

So the Niners get the pick he was traded for, get rid of his bloated salary and now maybe a comp pick on top of that while the Pats get the salary cap hit, a few games of awful play and the loss of a comp pick. Great.

We didn't trade with the Niners. The Eagles get our 5th round pick for our 6th round. The Eagles also loose his salary. Not the Niners. Niners only get the comp pick that they would have gotten anyway.

All of a sudden the Sopoaga trade looks even worse.

What did Philly get in exchange for him? A 1st and a 2nd? Two 2nds?

Crappy trade but the team was desperate at the time.

Miguel: Is there any other benchmark for this besides the Drew Stanton trade, which was a different scenario (viz., Stanton was acquired one week after the FA period began; Sopoaga was acquired in a trade after the normal deadline for signing a FA that counts in the formula; also, Sopoaga played more snaps with the Eagles than he did with New England).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back