PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is Seymour So Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skri65

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Physically, why is he so good. I"ve been trying to pinpoint exactly why he's so good. He's not exceptionally fast, so it cant be that. Can anyone explain? I"m not denying his excellence, rather I just want an explanation of why big Sey can get to the QB so easily. I cant seem to find an exceptional physical ability that allows him to be as good as he is. Anyone help me?

As Magic Johnson once described Karl Malone: "Brute Strempf"

Also, he may not be fast, but he is very coordinated and balanced on his feet, which makes him hard to move.

I'm surprised you "cant seem to find an exceptional physical ability that allows him to be as good as he is."
What physical abilities are you looking for? Everyone of them that makes a DL great are the exact ones he has. What would you expect to see in a physical ability of a DL that Seymour does not possess?

By the way, there are 2 things that separate Richard Seymour from another DL with equal physical skills.
1) Technique
2) Hustle. I have NEVER, EVER seen a DL in the NFL that hustles more than R Seymour. I have seen him rush the QB have him complete a pass 6 yards downfield, and have Seymour be in on the tackle on the receiver.

This is a fairly easy one. As someone pointed to "Magic" earlier, He is freakishly gifted for being so tall. Very coordinated with a huge wingspan.{Long arms} If you are an offensive lineman and your reach is 8 inches shorter than the person you are trying to block you are in for a long day. Especially against someone,again coordinated as Seymour. Almost like the great boxer with the longer reach. Who initiates contact first?

skri65 said:
Physically, why is he so good. I"ve been trying to pinpoint exactly why he's so good. He's not exceptionally fast, so it cant be that. Can anyone explain? I"m not denying his excellence, rather I just want an explanation of why big Sey can get to the QB so easily. I cant seem to find an exceptional physical ability that allows him to be as good as he is. Anyone help me?
Tivo or check to see if your VCR has slow motion - tell me which D-lineman comes off the snap first. On the Patriots' D, Klecko has the quickest release off the snap, then Sey. He gets into O-lineman before they can set themselves, add in his size and strength and you've got someone who is kicking your backside while your still trying to get in position - the Germans called it blitzkrieg. Additionally, one of the things Klecko does that made the Pats give him a look is change direction quickly and smoothly, Sey has similar qualities. Wilfork is much the same. Warren is the slowest off the snap of the D-lineman, he needs even better technique then Sey does because he can't expect quickness to give him an edge.

In addition to the above points, I think he is faster than people give him credit for being. Watch that fumble recovery which he runs back for 60 yards and time it. If I recall correctly, it wasn't much over 6 and a bit seconds for those 60 yards. The other thing to notice is that he seems to be a lot of muscle and less fat than someone should be for his size. That suggests a lot of time working out, keeping fit and doing the right things. Compare him to Wilfork, for example.

It is the combination of his technique, strength and instincts. Seymour is quick off the ball, stays low (watch his pad level, even though he is 6'6'', leverage) and gets his hands underneath the shoulder pads of o-lineman and uses his powerful and long arms to keep the o-lineman off of his body (giving him the ability to utilize his strength, and technique to maintain the line of scrimage, and play a 2 gap technique). This allows Seymour to completely control 2 of the holes on an offensive line, effectively taking away one half of potential holes in the offensive line.

His ability has a residual effect, in that it protects the other D line man and linebackers, as it is virtually impossible for an o-lineman to trap him or scrape off him for down blocks. The result of this is that the o-line does not get a hat on one of the linebackers, or a double team on one of the other d-linemen, leaving them free to make a tackle, or puts one of the linebackers one on one with a runningback.

His statistics are not fantastic because he is always double teamed and one of his teamates will make the tackle because Seymour held up the o-line.

Also I would say that Seymour is a lot faster than he is given credit for. He is a long strider like McGinest so he does not look fast (smaller quicker steps looks faster) even though he covers more ground per step than most.

If you watch film on him, every coach and player in the NFL knows how dominant he is.

Last edited:
skri65 said:

His main strength is his ability to essentially pick up the O-lineman and throw him on top of the quarterback!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes